Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 5th, 2022, 10:12 AM

Gorillanators is surprisingly tart
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Sadly, the shading does not change my opinion. I would be fine with unpainted or shaded minis if this was a standalone game, but since it is a reboot of an existing game that is full of life and color, it is a real bummer. When I made fun of the backwards compatibility, this is what I meant. They won’t fit in with my existing heroscape any better than AotP does.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellahdoll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
The number of people for whom unpainted minis is a dealbreaker is, not to bash on anyone in particular, completely insane.
Friendly advice - if your goal is to avoid bashing people, you may want to start by not referring to their opinions as insane.
100% agree with Sherman Davies here. Take this with a gigantic grain of salt, because I freely admit that my autism means I rarely post here and literally never get involved anywhere else online precisely because I know I am hyper-sensitive to any form of impoliteness, and thus minimize my online interaction in general for very obvious reasons. Let's just say on other websites not reading the comments or forums is my mantra.

That said, the reason this is the site I do read the forums here and post even rarely is because the community is generally the most polite on the net. Pumpkin King's comments are the exception, and they can claim not to be bashing anyone all they want. That sentiment was in all likelihood sincere, in fact I don't doubt their sincerity, however your intentions don't mitigate your words' effect. I definitely still feel bashed and apparently insane just because I don't like the same hobbies as you. More importantly, I also feel like joining this discussion was a big mistake. This is why I avoid online activity so much.
He said the number of people is insane, not the opinion.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:19 AM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker

Hey Dad Scaper, thanks for the info! To clarify, the figs will be cast in the color of their general and have a wash, or the figs will be cast all in the same color, with a colored wash to match their general?

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:21 AM

Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker Blubberguy22 knows what's in an order marker

I wonder if there will be separate expansions/versions that include only the miniatures but painted. That would be nice to see the official paint jobs and I would assume help keep the draw for those scared away by unpainted minis.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:33 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUG! View Post
Hey Dad Scaper, thanks for the info! To clarify, the figs will be cast in the color of their general and have a wash, or the figs will be cast all in the same color, with a colored wash to match their general?
That I don’t know. It would not be wise for me to guess, and I don’t know if the decision has even been made yet.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:40 AM

BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby! BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby! BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby! BloodyBaroness rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellahdoll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
The number of people for whom unpainted minis is a dealbreaker is, not to bash on anyone in particular, completely insane.
Friendly advice - if your goal is to avoid bashing people, you may want to start by not referring to their opinions as insane.
100% agree with Sherman Davies here. Take this with a gigantic grain of salt, because I freely admit that my autism means I rarely post here and literally never get involved anywhere else online precisely because I know I am hyper-sensitive to any form of impoliteness, and thus minimize my online interaction in general for very obvious reasons. Let's just say on other websites not reading the comments or forums is my mantra.

That said, the reason this is the site I do read the forums here and post even rarely is because the community is generally the most polite on the net. Pumpkin King's comments are the exception, and they can claim not to be bashing anyone all they want. That sentiment was in all likelihood sincere, in fact I don't doubt their sincerity, however your intentions don't mitigate your words' effect. I definitely still feel bashed and apparently insane just because I don't like the same hobbies as you. More importantly, I also feel like joining this discussion was a big mistake. This is why I avoid online activity so much.
He said the number of people is insane, not the opinion.
I think everyone missed that. LOL.

He didn't call anyone insane, just expressed bewilderment at how many are taking issue with unpainted.

We had it good with prepainted, no one is denying that, but the future is still bright for the new version.

10,000 bees in a trench coat.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:43 AM

DOAisBetter knows what's in an order marker DOAisBetter knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
I may see if I can get a camera that will allow me to do a painting series on these when everything is released. Might be fun to buy a speed paint kit, a can of white spray, some cheap brushes, and show folks how to knock out an entire paint job over the course of a weekend day and still beat the old paint schemes.

And then perhaps a second series for a more advanced painting tutorial for those who are willing to spend a bit more time with them.
I have been thinking the same thing really. The amount of complaints about the investment cost of supplies which can easily be less than $30 since I went to the trouble to price it, or the amount of time is pretty crazy and kind of telling that they haven't even tried to look into it.

In the end the reality is for these people if painting is far to much to ask well I guess they can either play unpainted or not play at all. I am fairly surprised though how many people don't like the game enough to play with unpainted minis. Its almost like they don't care what game is behind the system and would have played anything that had painted minis no matter how good or bad it was which says a lot.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:46 AM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!

[From the depths of not-at-all-creepy Occasional Lurking...]

Hi, everyone!

This is my first post in... um... many years. Sadly, I have not remained true to the Heroscape cause. I still possess all of my sets, but have rarely played, even though it remains near the top of my all-time list. In fact, after talking with someone at a recent gamers flea market, I even began considering whether to sell off some of my more precious units (flag bearers, etc.).

I am so glad I didn't.

Welcome back, Heroscape! I am thrilled and delighted at your return. May you enthrall a whole new generation of Scapers, even as you re-hook we older ones.
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:56 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast_shark View Post
Here's my two cents as a heroscaper who paints a lot of their own dolls for the game.

I think it's overall a neutral thing for the game, and can be done in a way that gives some amount of satisfaction to everyone.

CON: out of the box is much less exciting

PRO: cost is much lower and makes the game accessible to the wider community.
If you would pay a premium for painted minis, you can still do that by commissioning an artist.

Possible CON: it's hard to distinguish between minis from a distance when they're unpainted.
This is my biggest concern because I know there will be plenty of people who don't want to bother with a paint job at all, and it could possibly cause issues with general playability especially at tournaments.
This can be avoided by using different colored plastic based on faction/unit type and also by making sure each sculpt has a distinct silhouette. If this is done well, I can see that turning this from a bad situation to an OK one.

Possible PRO: because the figures are unpainted, this could mean that the sculpts are higher quality/more detailed; a possibility that a painter like myself is very excited by!
The original heroscape figures are all quite chunky, and the models we've seen look a lot more refined to me. This could be seen as a downside if you like the cartoonish feel for heroscape more, but I think that intricately detailed models are a lot more fun and cool.

If you're hesitant about painting but aren't completely opposed to it, I encourage you to try it out and be bad at it. You can always undo paint! You might be surprised at how easy it is to make a decent looking doll with a spray can of primer, one or two colors, and a black or brown wash.

If you don't have the funds to pay an artist for a full commission, I doubt you would have the funds to pay for what a pre-painted set of this would cost. And this scales with the complexity of the commission, you can pay an artist to do the primer, 2 color, wash method and they'd likely be just as happy that you're hiring them lol!
I did notice that the sculpts are higher quality than the classic heroscape sculpts. So, that's certainly a plus
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:58 AM

kffl is surprisingly tart

I'm curious to know if the paint job with the terrain will be congruent with the original tiles. I can live with the miniatures being unpainted, but the terrain not fitting in with the originals would probably draw the line for me personally.
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:07 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kffl View Post
I'm curious to know if the paint job with the terrain will be congruent with the original tiles. I can live with the miniatures being unpainted, but the terrain not fitting in with the originals would probably draw the line for me personally.
They are compatible
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:07 AM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUG! View Post
That I don’t know. It would not be wise for me to guess, and I don’t know if the decision has even been made yet.
No worries, I just thought you might know. I’m just happy there will be some kind of delineation through color/shading.
If anyone from Avalon Hill is reading this, unless preprinted suddenly becomes an option, my vote is for the figs to be cast in the color of their general with a wash to pop the details. 🤓

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion