Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > Custom Creations

Old December 3rd, 2022, 01:54 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
The Five SOTM Heroes From AOA

SERGEANT DRAKE ALEXANDER (3.0) AOA

Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Soldier
Valiant
Medium 5

6 Life
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 6
Defense 4
220 Points

THORIAN SPEED

Opponent's figures must be adjacent to Sgtl Drake Alexander to attack him with a normal attack.

GRAPPLE GRAB

After moving and before attacking with Sgt. Drake Alexander, you may choose any small or medium figure within 5 clear sight spaces whose base is no more than 6 loevels above Drake's height o 6 levels below Drake's base. Roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 6 or higher, place the chosen figure on any empty same level space adjacent to Drake, without taking any leaving engagement attacks. Alternately, Drake can Reverse Grapple Grab a large or huge target figure and move himself to an empty space adjacent to the target, subject to the same level restrictions. If he does this, he gets an extra 2 die attack before his normal attack on a turn when he starts non adjacent to his target, as soon as he comes adjacent using Reverse Grapple Grab. The target may not defend against this attack.

PISTOL FIRE SPECIAL ATTACK Range 5 Attack 3

FLYING

SONLEN (2.0) AOA

Ullar

Elf
Unique Hero
Archmage
Tricky
Huge 8

7 Life
Move 6
Range 6
Attack 5
Defense 4
240 Points

DRAGON HEALING 9

Before moving, you may choose a wounded Hero figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Sonlen. Roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher, remove up to 2 wounds from the chosen Hero's Army Card. Sonlen's Dragon can use its healing on Sonlen.

DRAGON SWOOP 3 Special Attack Range Special Attack 3

Sonlen may make this 3 dice attack against any figure he flies over during movement.
The figure defends at - 2 dice.

B]FLYING[/B]

MAJOR Q11 (2.0) AOA

Vydar

Soulborg
Unique Hero
Major
Merciful
Large 6

4 Life
Move 5
Range 8
Attack 5
Defense 6
200 Points

MACHINE PISTOL SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7 Attack 2

major Q11 may use this Special Attack 4 times in the same turn. Q11 may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

WRIST ROCKET SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4 Attack 4

Major Q11 may use this special attack 2 times in the same turn. Q11 may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

PROTECT

Before the game starts, Major Q11 may select one other Unique Hero figure you control to be his Charge. Each time this Charge reveals a numbered Order Marker on their card, if Major Q11 has clear sight to the Charge, he may take a turn instead of his Charge.

SHIORI (2.0) AOA

Einar

Human
Unique Hero
Ninja
Tricky
Medium 4

4 Life
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 4
150 Points

PHANTOM WALK

Shiori can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

SHURIKEN SPECIAL ATTACK Range 5 Attack Special

If Shiori is attacking a small or medium figure, roll 3 attack dice. If Shiori is attacking a large or huge figure, or a destructible object, roll 2 attack dice.

TRIPLE ATTACK

When Shiori attacks with a normal attack, she may attack two additional times.

MOVE LIKE THE WIND

When defending against a normal attack and at least one skull is rolled, Shiori may roll the 20 sided die to disappear. If you roll a 1-8, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 9 or higher, Shiori takes no damage and instead may move up to 5 spaces. Shiori can disappear only if she ends her disappearing move not adjacent to any enemy figure.

RAELIN THE KYRIE WARRIOR (3.0) AOA

Utgar

Kyrie
Unique Hero
Warrior
Commanding
Huge 7

6 Life
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4
200 Points

WHIRLWIND ASSAULT

Raelin may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. Roll each attack separately.

ATTACK AURA

All figures you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Raelin add +1 die dice to their attacks. Raelin's Attack Aura does not affect Raelin. All adjacent friendly figures you do not control (controlled by team mate players) also add +1 die to their attacks.

MANTICORE POISON STINGTAIL

Any adjacent enemy figure which takes at least one wound from Raelin must roll one combat die before each Initiative Roll. A skull gives the figure one wound. This roll is discontinued if the figure is Healed by anyone. Figures that must roll for Manticore Poison should place a Wound or other Marker above their cards to remind them to make this roll; removing it if healed. Once healed they cannot be poisoned again, move the marker to the bottom of the card to denote this.

FLYING

Last edited by chas; April 16th, 2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 01:54 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The Five SOTM Heroes From AOA

Reserved For Designer Initial Notes

General

The 5 Heroes that were unrevealed Stretch Goals for the unfunded Avalon Hill Haslab offering are Sgt. Drake Alexander 3.0, Sonlen 2.0, Q11 (aka Q10 2.0), Shiori 2.0, and Evil Raelin 3.0, presented in that order in which they were supposed to be reached as funding levels rose. Ironically, these perhaps most popular figures for Scapers were to be achieved last of all--yet another curious feature of the offering!

These designs are untested; I may start getting them up on the table in a week or so. Feel free to leave any comments here, try them out and let me know how it went, or use them for your own versions to come.

These characters are based on their figures and cards included in the second Heroscape Master Set Swarm of the Marro (SOTM). Sgt. Drake and Raelin appeared there as the first ever "upgraded" 2.0 figures, so being upgraded again for the Age of Annihilation offering they are here seen as 3.0 power ups!

I started out by adding 50 Points to each figure; 80 points for Sonlen and Evil Raelin with their new or newly grown up major war beasts.

Sergeant Drake Alexander 3.0

Reviewing the NO POSTING thread, I noted that Craig said he had Flying, as opposed to Stealth Flying or some kind of jump jet limited flight ability. His new ability to use his modified grapple arm for some type of Chain Grab ability, since he didn't need it for special movement any longer. I love the idea of his grappling with a figure too large to reel in, and reeling himself over to them instead to get an initial bonus momentum attack against them! His device is much more technically sophisticated device, being a present from Jandar, than the Drow Chainfighter's weapon.

Sonlen 2.0

The same abilities with enhanced point values. Larger size and Life, etc., reflect the war beast now being the primary antagonist an enemy would have to overcome!

Major Q11 (aka Major Q10 2.0)

Increased abilities based on the sketch of him holding a giant war hammer for melee combat. Protect is his dying act saving Shiori in the lore!

Shiori 2.0

Poor Shiori was originally presented as a teenage side kick in training, and thus a weak character that rarely got played. Now she's grown up, and been learning from her fellow Einar comrades Ninjas of the Northern Wind. The lore notes her ability to make multiple attacks.

Raelin The Kyrie Warrior 3.0 (AKA "Evil Raelin" working for Utgar).

Say it isn't so! Perhaps a scenario could have Good Heroes trying to snap her out of it with special scenario rules. This new plot somewhat reflects that of the old animation where she was mentally changed by a magic necklace of the Marro sorceress

Her new giant riding beast, referred to as a "War Lion" on the offering blurb, is apparently an old sculpt of a Manticore not used in its original form. The mythical Manticore was apparently based on a tiger, and given wings in modern fantasy literature. The original had a poisonous scorpion like tail, and was supposedly a fantasy version of a tiger in fact.

I thought of giving Raelin a "Fear Aura," since the lore mentions that she was greatly feared. But reducing the Defense values of other figures can be a slippery slope. So I decided to let her command her minions to fight harder instead. Note the ability to give a weaker bonus to the units of team mates. Few other power I've seen in Scape works specifically for the units of allies, although some do say "any figure" or "any friendly figure" rather than "a figure you control."

Like Sonlen, some of her values such as Size and Life are bonused up to reflect that any foes that fight her have to defeat a large war beast now.

Last edited by chas; April 16th, 2023 at 07:31 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 03:42 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My initial thoughts/critiques:

Drake: Funny, we had the same idea about him being able to pull himself toward enemies, though the implementation is different.

I really think you're underestimating just how much an Attack of 8 can do, though, and he doesn't even need to make a roll to get that boost.

Sonlen: Those aren't the same powers as OG Sonlen, so they shouldn't have the same name. Even "Dragon Healing 2" and "Dragon Swoop 2" would suffice.

Q11: That bonding chain opens up some serious rabbit holes; and I don't think it makes mechanical sense for him to be able to choose one member of a Squad as his Charge, but your phrasing allows it.

Shiori: Another confluence of ideas-- you and I both have her gaining the Concentrated Will boost at all times.

Move Like the Wind has two very different effects; I don't see why you've listed it as a single power.

Raelin: +1 Attack is a lot. +2 Attack is... immense. With a power like that at only 200 points, she'd be the strongest figure in the game.

Also, I think it'd help to have some kind of Marker to designate which figure(s) have to roll for poison damage, instead of just having the players collectively memorize it.

I suspect it's just an oversight rather than a design choice, but there's no Flying on her. Even though she and her mount both have wings.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 05:07 PM

Thanks for your comments, Anitar! For some reason, this post didn't show up on my subscriptions, but I found it anyway. These drafts are pretty raw, and I'm happy to make changes. To get started:

I've reduced Drake's Grab Attack Bonus.

I've renamed Sonlen's powers.

Major Q11's Charge must now be a Unique Hero. The bonding chain is now gone; Q11 may now take a turn on the Charge's marker, instead of the Charge taking the turn.

Raelin now has her Flying. Poison Markers for sure. I've reduced her Atack Aura Bonus to +1.

Edit: I wonder if others are working on these Heroes, and just haven't posted them up yet. You and I seem to be the only "First Responders" to the failure of the AOA offering to fund so far, in terms of providing possible Proxy Play cards.

Last edited by chas; December 4th, 2022 at 01:38 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 11:28 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Overall, I like your decision to reuse some of the themes and powers present in these units' older incarnations; if a new player were to dive into the game with AoA and these stretch goals, they could directly recreate some of the magic of the older units.

If I were to offer some critiques:

Drake:
Pistol Fire and Grapple Grab seem a little redundant, as both have the same area of effect and can be used in the same turn. I would either increase Pistol Fire's Range by 1 or decrease Grapple Grab's Range by the same amount.

Also, if I'm reading the power correctly, Grapple Grab lets Drake throw 8 attack dice against a large or huge figure that cannot roll defense dice. That seems incredibly strong for a power that activates on a roll of 6 or better.

Sonlen:
I don't really like the reuse of Dragon Swoop here. In the past, its timing and name implied that Classic Sonlen could direct his dragon to attack a target while he foughts independently. The change to a mounted combat style seems to preclude that possibility; if you want to keep the spirit of Dragon Swoop, I would consider changing this to a power that lets Sonlen roll to wound a figure he passes over while flying.

Shiori:
I really like this design. Move Like the Wind seems to be a combination of two completely unrelated powers, though. Given that one of your powers is only Phantom Walk, and that some of the official AoA provide a precedent for four beneficial special powers on a single card, I would consider splitting this into two powers.

Raelin:
I think you can save card space by cutting Attack Aura's third line and changing its first to specify "friendly figures" instead of "figures you control."
Old December 4th, 2022, 01:15 AM

Blue Trails, I appreciate the input, and will think some more about several of your comments.

Yes, good point about new players trying then out for the first time. Actually I recall that I didn't like having 2.0 versions when SOTM first came out; I would have preferred separate characters that could be fielded at the same time back then (there were many fewer characters available back then). But now I'm into it!

And we're trying to recreate what we think the designers intended. It must be frustrating for the War Council to have to shelve their original designs. Nothing would make me happier than if they were to rework the AOA offering and present it again, despite Hasbro's "My way or the highway" declaration. We'd all like to see what they did, and have Heroscape 2.0 with all its wonderful promise become available in another form! (For one thing, let's see those 7 new Kyrie in their own boxed set ).

Sgt. Drake: His Reverse Grapple Grab no longer gives him 8 dice, but an extra 2 die attack that cannot be defended; its a momentum attack.

I will look further into Pistol Fire and Grapple Grab, but I think they are different enough in their mechanics to warrant them as separate powers.

Sonlen, I agree about Dragon Swoop, and will work further it. Watch for a future change. (Edit: the power is now changed in line with what you suggest!)
[/I]
Shiori: That's two votes for splitting the power. My thought was that both effects come from her speed, which is being applied at different times; and to save space on the cards, but we'll see.

Raelin: there is a difference in the two effects that must be separated; either within a range or having to be adjacent.

Note: Changes have been made to the OP drafts to reflect some comments, and will continue to be made! Be aware going forward that previous suggestions were make on older drafts, rather than the ones you are seeing now, and may no longer be relevant. In fact, I've already made so many changes that I've printed out the new versions and shelved my original hand written drafts--the new versions will be easier to use when playing them, as they are now much more legible.

Last edited by chas; December 4th, 2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old December 4th, 2022, 08:41 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@chas Amazing that you attempted these figures...well done.
I do have some thoughts and questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
SERGEANT DRAKE ALEXANDER (3.0) AOA

Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Soldier
Valiant
Medium 5

6 Life
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 6
Defense 4
220 Points

THORIAN SPEED

Opponent's figures must be adjacent to Sgtl Drake Alexander to attack him with a normal attack.

GRAPPLE GRAB

After moving and before attacking with Sgt. Drake Alexander, you may choose any small or medium figure within 5 clear sight spaces whose base is no more than 6 loevels above Drake's height o 6 levels below Drake's base. Roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 6 or higher, place the chosen figure on any empty same level space adjacent to Drake, without taking any leaving engagement attacks. Alternately, Drake can Reverse Grapple Grab a large or huge target figure and move himself to an empty space adjacent to the target, subject to the same level restrictions. If he does this, he gets an extra 2 die attack before his normal attack on a turn when he starts non adjacent to his target, as soon as he comes adjacent using Reverse Grapple Grab. The target may not defend against this attack.

PISTOL FIRE SPECIAL ATTACK Range 5 Attack 3

FLYING
GRAPPLE GRAB
My suggestion would be to remove the level restrictions since Drake now has flying.

Question...am I right to believe this is this an extra attack of 2 unblockable dice prior to a normal attack?

If so here is some possible wording that I hope helps -

After moving and before attacking with Sgt. Drake Alexander, you may choose any small or medium figure within 5 clear sight spaces and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 6 or higher, place the chosen figure on any empty same level space adjacent to Drake, without taking any leaving engagement attacks. Alternately, Drake can Reverse Grapple Grab a large or huge target figure and move himself to an empty space adjacent to the target up to 5 clear sight spaces away. In doing the Reverse Grapple he gets an unblockable 2 die attack prior to his normal adjacent attack.

Question...If he rolls less than a 6 am I correct to assume he can still use his pistol?

Quote:

SONLEN (2.0) AOA

Ullar

Elf
Unique Hero
Archmage
Tricky
Huge 8

7 Life
Move 6
Range 6
Attack 5
Defense 4
240 Points

DRAGON HEALING 9

Before moving, you may choose a wounded Hero figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Sonlen. Roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher, remove up to 2 wounds from the chosen Hero's Army Card. Sonlen's Dragon can use its healing on Sonlen.

DRAGON SWOOP 12

After moving and before attacking, you may chose any figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Sonlen. Roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, the chosen figure receives two wounds.

FLYING
Because Sonlen is now riding his dragon, I'm not sure these figures should be adjacent to him before the dragon can heal.
I would also suggest allowing swoop during the movement phase not after or providing the dragon with a breath weapon.

Quote:

MAJOR Q11 (2.0) AOA

Vydar

Soulborg
Unique Hero
Major
Merciful
Large 6

4 Life
Move 5
Range 8
Attack 5
Defense 6
200 Points

MACHINE PISTOL SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7 Attack 2

major Q11 may use this Special Attack 4 times in the same turn. Q11 may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

WRIST ROCKET SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4 Attack 4

Major Q11 may use this special attack 2 times in the same turn. Q11 may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

PROTECT

Before the game starts, Major Q11 may select one other Unique Hero figure you control to be his Charge. Each time this Charge reveals a numbered Order Marker on their card, if Major Q11 has clear sight to the Charge, he may take a turn instead of his Charge.
I really like Q11 as is.

Quote:

SHIORI (2.0) AOA

Einar

Human
Unique Hero
Ninja
Tricky
Medium 4

4 Life
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4
110 Points

PHANTOM WALK

Shiori can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

SHURIKEN SPECIAL ATTACK Range 5 Attack Special

If Shiori is attack a small or medium figure, roll 3 attack dice. If Shiori is attacking a figure of a different height or a destructible object, roll 2 attack dice.

MOVE LIKE THE WIND

Shiori may make up to 3 normal attacks against the same Hero, or 3 normal attacks against a squad figure or figures). When defending against a normal attack and at least one skull is rolled, Shiori may roll the 20 sided die to disappear. If you roll a 1-8, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 9 or higher, Shiori talkes no damage and instead may move up to 5 spaces. Shiori can disappear only if she ends her disappearing move not adjacent to any enemy figure.
Wording suggestion...for Move like the wind (which is really two powers but can be made into one by rolling the d20 first IMHO).

Before attacking roll a 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-8 then she does not move like the wind. When Moving like the wind is active Shiori may make up to 3 normal attacks against the same Hero, or 3 normal attacks against either single or separate squad figure(s). When defending, using move like the wind, Shiori can disappear, take no damage even if 'hit' and may move up to 5 spaces. Shiori can only move like the wind if she ends her movement not adjacent to any enemy figure. This defense continues until markers are reset.

Quote:

RAELIN THE KYRIE WARRIOR (3.0) AOA

Utgar

Kyrie
Unique Hero
Warrior
Commanding
Huge 7

6 Life
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4
200 Points

WHIRLWIND ASSAULT

Raelin may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. Roll each attack separately.

ATTACK AURA

All figures you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Raelin add +1 die dice to their attacks. Raelin's Attack Aura does not affect Raelin. All adjacent friendly figures you do not control (controlled by team mate players) also add +1 die to their attacks.

MANTICORE POISON STINGTAIL

Any adjacent enemy figure which takes at least one wound from Raelin must roll one combat die before each Initiative Roll. A skull gives the figure one wound. This roll is discontinued if the figure is Healed by anyone. Figures that must roll for Manticore Poison should place a Wound or other Marker above their cards to remind them to make this roll; removing it if healed. Once healed they cannot be poisoned again, move the marker to the bottom of the card to denote this.

FLYING
[/QUOTE]

I've actually never been a fan of Realin but I like the switch from defense to attack. For the Manticore poison, I would use poison markers for this instead (wound markers painted green) and have the marker flipped when the hero is healed.

Awesome work Chas. I hope my thoughts are of some use to you.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; December 4th, 2022 at 08:44 AM. Reason: 5 Alive!
Old December 4th, 2022, 09:32 AM

Anitar and Blue Trails,

Keep the comments coming! As you can see, I've already made changes based on your previous remarks.

You both seem to like Major Q11. Of course, he's the least changed.

I'm rushing these cards out so I can start playing/playtesting. And perhaps inspire others who may be working on their own stuff. So of course they still need work. My local pals haven't even chimed in yet.

Last edited by chas; December 4th, 2022 at 09:59 AM.
Old December 4th, 2022, 10:03 AM

Anitar Round Two Comments:

I'm thinking of adding wording that Drake can only attempt two attacks of any kind in one turn. So if he rolls for Reverse Grapple Grab at all, he can only follow up with either Pistol or a normal Attack.

Shiori Perhaps Move Like The Wind In Attack and Move Like The Wind In Defense.

Raelin I'm leaving it up to the players to take out some different special markers for Poison right now, since there is no way to tell how many will be needed.

(More responses coming later.)
Old December 4th, 2022, 04:30 PM

damocles is surprisingly tart

Quote:
[B]Anitar Round Two Comments:

Raelin I'm leaving it up to the players to take out some different special markers for Poison right now, since there is no way to tell how many will be needed.
Perhaps those little red cubes from AoTP would work well for these?
Old December 4th, 2022, 05:30 PM

They would indeed. Personally, I keep small colored plastic "stones," the type you get at a craft store, nearby for use in many games as markers, including for Scape.
Old April 16th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Shiori Playtest

Now that the initial phase of my AOA Proxy Play Project is over, these and all of Anitar's cards are appearing on the table with Classic and VC cards. We used Shiori in a big 5 Player game; The Chas Road Rally. For the scenario see Post #1515 on my signature thread below. Further comments and photos will follow soon. She won the game for me against the skilled opponents of my player group!

I made some simplifying wording changes on her card based on suggestions from some of the very qualified pals in my game group, and also some comments by Amis. I also bumped her cost up and took one die away from her regular attack.

Let me know what you think! As I playtest the others, I'll continue to make necessary changes on them.

Last edited by chas; April 17th, 2023 at 07:52 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > Custom Creations