Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old August 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
GenCon Games Recomendations/Warnings

The best part about going to GenCon is demoing new games and was going to be the focus of my time spent there this year until my plans changed.

If you went please use this thread to talk about any games you demo'd and give your recomendations, opinions, etc on them.

If you want to know about a particular game being shown there...post it and I will ad it to the list where hopefully someone played it and can provide feedback.

Current List

1-Dungeonquest (FFG) (Review by wdgrant)
2-Dust Tactics (FFG)
3-City of Thieves (FFG) (Review by wdgrant)
4-Invasion From Outer Space (Flying Frog) (Review by wdgrant , stubobj)
5-DnD Castle Ravenloft (WotC)
6-Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer (Review by wdgrant)

Last edited by Onacara; August 9th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!
Re: GenCon Games Recomendations/Warnings

I want to hear about Invasion from OuterSpace (Flying Frog) and DnD Castle Ravenloft (WotC).

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM

ranoobu is surprisingly tart

Hey Ona,

Did you add Castle Ravenloft last minute? I thought it was missing when I first read your post.

I was going to suggest it to you because a few people have been considering it vs DungeonQuest.

I kind of consider it a contender to Heroscape for the category "get new players into original D&D"

Edit: I know I wasn't at GenCon, but in case anyone else had any interest but not enough interest to search around. All of the following was taken from BoardGameGeek

Session Report from GenCon by PKReynolds
Spoiler Alert!

Aeston's Before Heroscape - An interesting read for any Heroscape fan. I loved the final conclusion to the post as well lol

Good trades: SirGalahad

Last edited by ranoobu; August 8th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
has been BANNED

I addeded after it was asked for

Here is a video of some guys unboxing it at GenCon

Old August 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM

ranoobu is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I addeded after it was asked for

Here is a video of some guys unboxing it at GenCon
Ninja'd! on part 1 of the video..

Have you seen part 2? there's a part 2 now

Thanks for showing me how to embed.. I would rep you but I can't just yet.

Aeston's Before Heroscape - An interesting read for any Heroscape fan. I loved the final conclusion to the post as well lol

Good trades: SirGalahad
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

These unboxing videos make me feel kinda dirty!

Great idea, Onacara. I hadn't even heard of the FFP game, so thanks for the heads up.

I just finished both. This game is now a definite purchase. I've been looking for something to scratch that Warhammer Quest itch, and I can tell this is going to do it.

EDIT: Oh snaps! Check out the hero at 4:24! I recognize that guy!

Last edited by CheddarLimbo; August 8th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

I got to demo Dungeonquest. It was a fun game. Not very heavy, but in a pretty good way. Treasure seems a bit random, especially if someone finds the diamond. Other players basically have no chance to win unless he just can't get out of the dungeon before the end of game trigger.

I played City of Thieves after my buddy bought it. It was okay, but a little too much backstabbing for me. I felt like the game that I played dragged on a little too long. My buddy seemed to love it though, so maybe it was just me.

Invasion from Outer Space was the FFG martian game. It has mechanics very similar to LNoE, expect the martians fire a ranged attack that humans can dodge and then also hand to hand combat people in their space. It was high on theme and looks like one I would enjoy. I only got to watch over other demo players' shoulders (for some reason, FFG only had one demo game set up. Seems like they should have replaced one of the LNoE demo tables and had two of each).

Unfortunately, I didn't get to play Castle Ravenloft. For some reason that goes against logic, WotC decided not to demo the game. They were demoing magic and some online magic game (I don't know if it was the new version of Moto or what), but no sign of CR. They did have a handful of events for the game, but they were all full. I was baffled that they wouldn't be showcasing this game in the dealer hall when I was seeing buzz on BGG and here on Heroscapers about it.

Finally, no one asked, but a hot game that I played and would recommend is Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...-the-godslayer

This game is a deck building game ala Dominion. It has a random lineup of cards available to add to your deck and a theme akin to Thunderstone (but with much better mechanics in my mind). The guys who designed it were former Vs. designers (one of my favorite games all time) and they seem to know their stuff. Check it out if you like Dominion or Thunderstone.
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:26 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

My younger brother, ManTrain, picked up Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and we had a blast playing it. I've yet to win a game though as everyone thinks they know what I'm doing but I usually end up with a low score anyway. :P

In fact I believe three people in our group ended up buying it.

We also played a neat party game called Telestrations. In Telestrations each person is given a mystery word. They draw the word then the next person guesses the word. The third person would then draw the guessed word, rinse, repeat until the drawing book comes back to the person who originally pulled the word. This one is a little more accessible to nongamer types and I'd recommend it for anyone that enjoys laughing.

Grenade lobbyist
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:01 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post
My younger brother, ManTrain, picked up Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and we had a blast playing it. I've yet to win a game though as everyone thinks they know what I'm doing but I usually end up with a low score anyway. :P

We also played a neat party game called Telestrations. In Telestrations each person is given a mystery word. They draw the word then the next person guesses the word. The third person would then draw the guessed word, rinse, repeat until the drawing book comes back to the person who originally pulled the word. This one is a little more accessible to nongamer types and I'd recommend it for anyone that enjoys laughing.
It doesn't sound like there's much of a game there, more of a social activity? Kind of like Apples to Apples?

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:07 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post

It doesn't sound like there's much of a game there, more of a social activity? Kind of like Apples to Apples?
Sounds more like Telephone meets Pictionary
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post

There are rules for competitive scoring but I think if you're worried about your score you're doling it wrong. This game wouldn't be one I'd recommend for a serious hardcore gamer group but maybe as one you could play with a group of nongamer friends and & family instead of being tortured by LCR.

Grenade lobbyist
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I didnt get to Demo it but I did preorder Invasion from Outerspace.

Just like LNoE this game is just dripping in theme. Martians are invading planet earth and the first people they come in contact with is a traveling circus. The Heroes in IfO are almost like superheroes with the powers they have. The martians appear to have way more choices of things to do than the zombies do. IN LNoE you have spawning pits that dont ever move, while in IfO you have landing sites and these landing sites can eventually be moved around the board. So martians can pop up anywhere. The sculpts look really nice. They even went the extra mile to give the martians little bubble helmets. LNoE and IfO can be mixed and in fact they even have martians in zombie colors because if a zombie ends up killing a martian it is turned into a Zombie martian.

I was concerned when I first read about this game that it wouldnt be different enough from LNoE to justify purchasing it but once you get past the game engine things are way different. I was really hoping to be one of 8 that owned a copy before October but it didnt happen

Ill post some pics of the game later today.

Edit: Pics as promised

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Last edited by stubobj; August 10th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con