Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealQ
As such he will drop two AE on the first turn, be almost fully healed, and outright dominate them after that.
Not unless you're playing them stupidly. He'd have to be able to get adjacent to two to kill them both in the same turn.
I was going under the assumption deduced from the given example that all the AE are on the same hill at the highest level. Otherwise how would it be possible to have them all stay within range with them all having height advantage. Albeit, I haven't played every map possible but I think it would be very improbable to have a single hill that you can space out all the AE so that no two can be engaged and keep them all within range with height advantage. Admittedly I wouldn't land them all on the same hill but then again without landing them all on said hill I couldn't guarantee a second shot at Cyprien with the full remainder of the squad. I was only playing to the information given. I only figured everyone else had enough insight to come to the same conclusion.

Old July 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
I guess it depends totally on the map really. I was envisioning a map with multiple highpoints fairly close to each other (a map that the AE excel very much on). Even without that, they're still gonna get 3 or 4 wounds on Cyprien with about justifies their points (in theory).

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Last night I played a couple of games with ninthdoc and it only confirmed that Cyprien is over rated. Here is what ninth threw at me...
What map were you playing on? I would be interested in seeing how this same scenario would play out on some different maps.

[Thinking out loud] I'm guessing this was a map with a single high area in the middle. This of course always benefits range over melee. I would challenge you to play the same armies on a different map where there are much more LOS blockers to help Cyprien move in and out of engagement. I don't know that it will change your results, but it will at least play to Cyprien's strengths.
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!
Played with Cyprien. He absolutely OWNED the board. Specifically, he destroyed my opponents common squad figs, of which he had many. He could strike at will with move 8 stealth flying, and no matter how many times he got hit, he'd simply go chill one squad fig, kill another, and voila! Healed.

I think Cyprien's weakness is with heroes, because the heroes don't die as quickly and thus he isn't healed as quickly. But of course, if you do get a hero on him, he can just fly away 8 spaces and he's gone.

And you MUST have Sonya for it all to work.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
He can go either way. I have found that units that require a lot of lucky rolls, like ne gok sa and now cyprien, don't usually fare well in tournaments. He has killed Laglor in one hit for me before, but the past couple of games he has done very little, his chill rarely working even with his wife helping. Perhaps my luck is down. He is still a lot of fun to play with, but I doubt he will be incredible in a tournament setting.....This won't stop me from playing with him in my next tournament, if I get my wave 7 by then of course.

ps: Since when do we have spell check on our posts? That's a nice feature to have added!
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM

AlCapwned has disabled reputation
On smaller maps, this combo can be deadly:
Ornak with Cyprien and Brunak right at the start of the game. This flings him 15 spaces into opponent territory on the first turn. That's usually enough to catch you opponent still scrambling and sending out his units, giving you free pickin's. Unfortunately, the combo is a lot of points (especially with Sonya), so self-sufficient units like the Marros are the best fillers. Alternatively, you can carry Ornak rather than Cyprien. This lets you get a decent move going with only a few markers.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
I have year old Heroscape news!

darkclown789 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
He can go either way. I have found that units that require a lot of lucky rolls, like ne gok sa and now cyprien, don't usually fare well in tournaments. He has killed Laglor in one hit for me before, but the past couple of games he has done very little, his chill rarely working even with his wife helping. Perhaps my luck is down. He is still a lot of fun to play with, but I doubt he will be incredible in a tournament setting.....This won't stop me from playing with him in my next tournament, if I get my wave 7 by then of course.

ps: Since when do we have spell check on our posts? That's a nice feature to have added!
Same way I feel. He is overrated... even with Sonya he has a 50% chance of inflicting at least 1 wound on an opponents fig, and 3 attack dice (with height often, making it four). In theory, this guy is like Syvarris. Very tough. I just can't seem to do well with him. Early game he gets thrashed, late game he is killed before he finishes cleaning up.

Ah well. I've only played two games with him... we'll see how numbers 3 and 4 pan out.

Darkclown

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it." --Unknown
Old July 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I played with cyprien and his wife at the western PA tournament yesterday. My army had cyprien, sonya, krug, arrow gruts x3 swog rider x2, and isamu. There were 16 players in the tournament and we played 5 games each, and the person with the best record and highest pt differential won. My army ended up winning the tournament which was real sweet.

Cyprien did pretty well in the tournament. My first game he killed the krav magas, raelin, and agent carr ending up with no wounds on him thanks to life drain, then i sent him on a glyph for the rest of the game (as the remaining units in the army were soulborgs.

my 2nd game cyprien flew around killing microcorp agents before my opponent started spreading his army around the board, then I sent in krug and co. to finish them off.

My 3rd game was where cyprien shined through. After a few turns the AE dropped on massive high pillars and started crushing my army. I sent cyprien in and he started eating my opponent's romans. He would take 2-3 wounds from the AE ever turn, but then would kill two romans in return. I also chilled ne gok sa for 3 wounds and struck him down, then immediately went and auto-killed marcus. cyprien got a couplemore romans and an AE or 2 before falling. He was awesome and the player of the game

My 4th game cyprien got crushed and shot to death before doing anything. SOme bad chill rolls and offense rolls combined with horrible defense rolls on my part and awesome offense rolls for my opponent destroyed cyprien before he could do anything. it sucked. I lost that game, and it would be my only loss of the day.

My 5th game was against the same guy and the same army...stupid ranged vydar armies with Q9....This game faired better for cyprien as he went from squad to squad killing a random nakita agent, krav maga, or gorrillinator. I don't think he earned back his and sonya's pts before he died but he managed to freak out my opponent the whole time. I ended up winning that game and the tournament.

CYprien was a lot of fun to play with. He could span the entire board in practically one turn, and caused havoc wherever he went. Everyone was very afraid of him. my first opponent was almost driven to tears because of how good he was (he almost single handedly took out her entire 500 pt army and she was sad that she didn't have any of these "good" figures). Every opponent was obsessed to kill him and was always frantic because he could heal himself.

He is totally worth playing with. And when combined with an already awesome army (like krug and arrow gruts), cyprien can hold up in a competetive tournament setting. I love it. I hope more figures can prove their worth in the future
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Xaqery is surprisingly tart
What do you think about playing him without his wife?

What if it was a tournament setting?

Reality is the fantasy of the majority
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqery
What do you think about playing him without his wife?

What if it was a tournament setting?
I'd say he is much more risky playing without his wife. I can't tell you how many times I've rolled an 18 or 19 against a hero, which with sonya makes the difference between giving 3 wounds and 6 wounds. I think she is necessary. I've also rolled countless amounts of 11s, which won't kill anything. Getting a +2 on cyprien's rolls is important. I just think of cyprien as a 195 pt character, and play him as such
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:21 AM
has been BANNED

GoBigorGoHome is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
To me, other than soulborgs, his greatest weakness is only being able to make melee attakcs and that his form of double attack (chilling touch and regular attack) can be negated if someone keeps his units separated. I've seen some battle reports of AE, 4th Mass, and the Harbuesques all taking him down within a couple turns. Although I have also seen others of him mopping up his opponents figures
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!
My new nickname for Cyprien is Strahd

This guy is a powerhouse, worth every penny of his 150 point cost.

His chilling touch is pretty sick, his movement of 8 and stealth flying, allows him to... well... fly around the board.

Played with him for the firs time tonight, my my....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units