Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old January 16th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of Deathreavers

"Rolling defense dice" is an action, just like moving and attacking. Specific powers that say "this figure can't roll defense dice" pre-empt this action. Otherwise the action happens regardless of what a figure's defense number is. From DnD rulebook:

"To carry out the attack, follow these steps:

1. Announce which figure is the Attacker and which figure is the Defender.
2. Check the Attack number on your Attacker's Army Card, adding any extra
dice for height advantage, special powers, or Glyphs. Then roll that number
of attack dice. After you roll, the Defender rolls the number of defense dice
on his Defender's Army Card
, adding any extra dice for height advantage,
shadow spaces, special powers, or Glyphs."

So the defender rolls the number of defense dice on his Defender's Army card (even if that number is 0). The action happens even if the defense number is 0.

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Last edited by The B.I.V.; January 16th, 2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: consulted DnD rulebook
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I suppose we could shake our empty fists and release them to the table, thus rolling zero dice.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:44 PM

saywhat knows what's in an order marker saywhat knows what's in an order marker

I believe the precedence is in the counter strike power. If the attacker rolls no skulls the counter strike figure still gets to roll for counter strike (and I am certain this was ruled on by the officials). I see this as a similar situation as the Venocs can have their defense increased by the normal means.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:16 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
"Rolling defense dice" is an action, just like moving and attacking. Specific powers that say "this figure can't roll defense dice" pre-empt this action. Otherwise the action happens regardless of what a figure's defense number is. From DnD rulebook:

on his Defender's Army Card, adding any extra dice for height advantage,

So the defender rolls the number of defense dice on his Defender's Army card (even if that number is 0). The action happens even if the defense number is 0.
You present this very well, but from this logic, would you say that The Marro Hive can therefore Move? That is not right, or at least not consistent.

"Rolling defense diceMoving" is an action, just like moving and attacking. Specific powers that say "this figure can't roll defense dicemove" pre-empt this action. Otherwise the action happens regardless of what a figure's defensemove number is.

No power says The Hive can't move, but with a zero Movement number, I say he can't. What say you?
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
No power says The Hive can't move, but with a zero Movement number, I say he can't. What say you?
It says specifically is the dang SotM rulebook that the Marro Hive cannot be moved by any powers whatsoever.

The Marro Hive is given SPECIAL RULES that I cannot move at all.

Burny, I understand the argument that you're trying to make, but this is all done and settled already.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:34 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I just wanted to point out there is not a community consensus on that ruling.
Consensus and unanimity are not the same thing.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Wink Re: The Book of Deathreavers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post

on his Defender's Army Card, adding any extra dice for height advantage,

You present this very well, but from this logic, would you say that The Marro Hive can therefore Move? That is not right, or at least not consistent.

"Rolling defense diceMoving" is an action, just like moving and attacking. Specific powers that say "this figure can't roll defense dicemove" pre-empt this action. Otherwise the action happens regardless of what a figure's defensemove number is.

It says he has a move phase. Even if he cannot move, he still has a move phase. A turn in Heroscape is a chain of logic. Even if you don't do anything during the phase, it still counts as happening. Hence the phrase found on many cards: "After moving and before attacking". You don't have to move for the power to activate. It just has to happen after the move phase.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:45 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I guess I always thought of this issue in the same way as Moving - a Movement of 0 is different than NOT Moving, but it still counts as a Move for the purposes of Special Abilities.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:02 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
It says he has a move phase. Even if he cannot move, he still has a move phase. A turn in Heroscape is a chain of logic. Even if you don't do anything during the phase, it still counts as happening. Hence the phrase found on many cards: "After moving and before attacking". You don't have to move for the power to activate. It just has to happen after the move phase.
I don't agree with the term "phases" at all (it was not in the first rulebooks and I think the card-game community has brought that word unofficially over here), but obviously turns proceed in a certain fashion. Moving then Attacking then Defending. But that is not the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garada View Post
I guess I always thought of this issue in the same way as Moving - a Movement of 0 is different than NOT Moving, but it still counts as a Move for the purposes of Special Abilities.
Does moving zero count towards special abilities? I don't agree that the 10th Regiment of Foot etc. should lose their Wait Then Fire (or get their Bayonet Attack 1) bonus if they move zero, do you? What about engagement strikes on figures that "moved zero," do they activate? That is the same (in my opinion, flawed) logic.

I honestly am going on what I see the card says, and think the rest of you guys aren't. Reread the wording to Scatter. But regardless, if you think you have fulfilled the power requirement (rolled defense dice against an opponent's normal attack), then activate the power.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:53 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
BurnyFlame can play it however he wants, and as he said, it almost never comes up, but R˙chean clearly stated that the designers said that 0 defense dice is not the same as no defense dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Jared, DA Burny understands the logic being presented he just doesn't agree with it. Rehashing it for him or presenting it from another point of view isn't going to change his mind. But thanks for trying.

-------

DA BFlame, I'm not a designer. I had these same questions when we tested these guys and the game designers explained the difference to me.

Obviously, there is a difference between rolling 2 less and not getting to roll any at all regardless of height, Raelin, glyph, shadow tile, etc... But you already know that.

It is what it is. I see what you are saying, but it won't change this item. Powers have been written with the mindset that rolling less defense is not the same as not being able to roll defense. They are different and they will continue to be different.
I'm quoting this response for the most obvious of reasons: R˙chean was a member of the rules team, and to the best of my knowledge he's the only one that has continued to weigh in on such rules discussion since the cancellation. If he offered up the above wisdom, I don't really see any room for argument.

Oh, and for the record, as the struck-out text above implies in such a tongue-in-cheek manner, the feels exactly like one of DA's arguments. The mere reference made me laugh out loud.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:48 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Does moving zero count towards special abilities? I don't agree that the 10th Regiment of Foot etc. should lose their Wait Then Fire (or get their Bayonet Attack 1) bonus if they move zero, do you? What about engagement strikes on figures that "moved zero," do they activate? That is the same (in my opinion, flawed) logic.
No, the 10th Regiment should only get their Wait Then Fire bonus if they specifically DO NOT Move - if they choose to Move 0, they technically still Moved and would not be eligible for their bonus... if you catch my drift. It's a subtle distinction, and it doesn't necessarily specifically apply to the 10th Regiment, but there is definitely a difference between NOT Moving and choosing to make a Move of 0 as far as the rules of Heroscape are concerned, just as there's a distinction between choosing Walking over Flying on Roads to get the +3 Move Bonus, or the distinction between rolling 0 dice and NOT BEING ALLOWED to roll dice in order to activate Scatter.

Let's just say that hypothetically another Army Card offered a bonus to the 10th Reg AFTER MOVING. I would say that they would have to declare that they are Moving to get said bonus, and even if they declared that they were "Moving Zero", they would still have moved and would therefore NOT be eligible to receive the 'Wait Then Fire' bonus that specifies "Instead of Moving...". Is it "logical", or does it make "common sense"? Not necessarily, but this is the point at which real world logic gives way to the necessity of game mechanics.

And for the record, I definitely don't think they should benefit from their Bayonet Attack special ability if they Move 0 because the power specifically states "if he moved at least 1 space this turn."

I think Confred has the best idea: "We could shake our empty fists and release them to the table, thus rolling zero dice."

Last edited by Garada; January 18th, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Let's just say that hypothetically another Army Card offered a bonus to the 10th Reg AFTER MOVING. I would say that they would have to declare that they are Moving to get said bonus, and even if they declared that they were "Moving Zero", they would still have moved and would therefore NOT be eligible to receive the 'Wait Then Fire' bonus that specifies "Instead of Moving...".
It's already been established that "after moving and before attacking" means "after optionally moving and before optionally attacking". (It's too bad it wasn't originally written that way. This would have avoided a whole lot of confusion.) The moving and attacking actions of a turn are both optional, according to the rulebook. (What's not optional is revealing an order marker.) If someone makes a custom that triggers a power "after moving and before attacking", I highly recommend wording it "after optionally moving and before optionally attacking" if that is what is meant.

Quote:
I definitely don't think they [10th Regiment] should benefit from their Bayonet Attack special ability if they Move 0 because the power specifically states "if he moved at least 1 space this turn."
So you're saying, there is a difference between "After a Deathreaver you control rolls defense dice..." and "After a Deathreaver you control rolls at least 1 defense die..." because it's possible to roll zero (or even a negative number of) defense dice?

The fact that it was written as "moved at least one space" (instead of just "moved") on the 10th Reg card shows how silly things got with this "moving zero spaces" concept. It should not have been necessary to write it that way because it is not possible to move zero spaces. It's also not possible to roll zero (or less) defense dice.

However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulebook
For example, with a Move number of 5, a figure can each move 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 spaces.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; January 18th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units