Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old June 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
D2 - changes in the base size

I thought that it might as well have it's own thread, as I can see this issue generating a fair amount of internet traffic.

FWIW, I'd rather the bases didn't change. I don't buy the "it'll bring in more players and grow the market" line; that's some excuse dreamt up by a beancounter. People won't choose to buy a pack of HS figures simply because of smaller bases. And the idea that the new bases are the only size suitable for use in other tabletop games has obviously come from someone how hasn't noticed that Games Workshop have been using base sizes almost identical to "old" 'scape bases for the best part of 25 years without going broke.

There are two and a half obvious downsides. The fact that the figures will no longer match all the rest of our HS figures. The face that smaller bases are less stable in use. And I've no idea if the effect on gameplay (the smaller the bases, the more opportunity to micromanage the position of the figures on their hexes) is a good thing or a bad thing.

So why is it being done? Well, as I said we can ignore the official line. My view is that it's to help deal with the scale issues. By making the bases smaller, it makes the figures themselves look larger, which goes some way to avoiding the obvious comparisons between "classic" 'scape and D&D Minis retreads. It works only until you line the figures up next to one another, I suspect.

Of course, I'll still buy them. But I'd rather this particular change wasn't happening. It won't fool anybody, it won't benefit anybody, and simply isn't necessary IMO.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old June 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Takanuva has disabled reputation
Re: D2 - changes in the base size

My response from the other thread:

Making other games compatible with Heroscape="Great customs!"

Making Heroscape compatible with other games="Heroscape should be for Heroscape, not for people to play in other games!"

I fail to see the logic in this. As far as I can tell, The bases do not change the game in anyway. Why is that something to quit Heroscape over?
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I can guaranty that it is not to make the figures look bigger. That is absurd.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Yeah it is highly improbable that the primary reason other gamer's are not playing HS is because of the bases. It also contributes the pattern of HS losing its uniqueness:

-Step 1: Emilination of Classic Figures
-Step 2: Changing the Bases
-Step 3: ?

WOTC should just say that they are doing it to increase efficiency since it is more efficient to have 2 lines use the same bases than different ones
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Takanuva has disabled reputation

You don't buy changing the bases to bring in more players? I'm no economist but I see that as the only logical reason.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
It's a large Dagger, not a Small Sword

theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post

WOTC should just say that they are doing it to increase efficiency since it is more efficient to have 2 lines use the same bases than different ones
They won't be using the same bases. Any D&D minis coming out will still have the normal black base, while Heroscape minis have the harder plastic base with the decal on top.

I forgot to mention there was a huge positive base change in this wave....

The numbers are finally on the bottom of the Double Spaced figures!

Wizards of the Coast Tabletop Games Designer

Latest FAQs 13.4 (10/6)
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
I forgot to mention there was a huge positive base change in this wave....

Maybe others are more aware than me but until the Hydra I never even knew the double space bases even had numbers.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM

theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well it started with the Feral Troll, that was the only one before the Hydra. All the DS figs in D1 had the numbers on the side of the base.

Latest FAQs 13.4 (10/6)
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Yeah it is highly improbable that the primary reason other gamer's are not playing HS is because of the bases.
It doesn't have to be the primary reason, only A reason. Given that companies do not typically just throw things against the wall and hope they stick, I would suspect that they have some market research that tells them that there are others that would consider using these figures if they were more compatible.

Like many, I would prefer they don't change, but it also isn't something that will deserve the fit that some fans will throw regarding them. I suspect that a vocal minority will get up in arms, but to the general buying public, it won't be a blip on the radar.

WOTC did this a few years back with their Star Wars line. They changed to square bases for one expansion (though for different stated reasons). No, I was not especially fond of them, but in the end, it really didn't matter. The game is still the game.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Like I said in the other thread, it makes perfect sense.

It's going to bug me to no ends, but it makes sense. I think I may have an undiagnosed case of OCD or something that makes me want official bases for every single custom I use, also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
Well, there's that, haha!
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When was this idea first proposed?

Why wouldn't this have been done with MS3?

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
When was this idea first proposed?

Why wouldn't this have been done with MS3?
Cause it was proposed between D1 and D2

Latest FAQs 13.4 (10/6)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News