Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old March 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What is your favorite fantasy book?

As with most everyone else, I dig LOTR.

I also like
George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice (My favorite fantasy type series)
Feist's Magician series
Butcher's Codex Alera series
Salvatore's Icewind Dale and Dark Elf series'.

Other series that aren't fantasy that I absolutely love and highly recommend are by an author named W.E.B. Griffin. His series The Corps and Presidential Agent are incredible. The Corps is a mix of fictional and real characters and real events of Marines and politics from 1939 in China to the Korean War. Great stuff. Presidential Agent is spy/international politics type stuff with a mix of real people/events and fictional as well.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Grifter Woo who?

I'd have to say The Elenium-trilogy by David Eddings. Strong characters and character-interaction and a believable world (which is not surprising, since Eddings has the tendency to take our world and give a fantasy spin to it. But never in a way that makes it seems trite or boring).
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Bolo knows what's in an order marker Bolo knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKE13 View Post
I am a huge fan of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan who unfortunately passed away a couple years back. The series is being completed by Brandon Sanderson. I recommend the series to any fantasy reader.

I have to agree that this is the best series of books that I have ever read.

Robert Jordan is right up there with J. R. R. Tolkein, in that for every word published in the 15 book series there is a 1000 written in background history and languages.

Book 1 was published in 1991 and book 14 will be coming out this year. Like J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Hobbit", Robert Jordan has written a prequel to the story called "A New Spring".

If you have the Time, Wheel yourself to your nearest bookstore and pick it up. You will not be disapointed.

If a chicken and a 1/2, can lay an egg and a 1/2 in a day and a 1/2, how long would it take a grasshopper with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a cucumber?
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

Lord of the Rings and the Eragon books. (I don't know if this series has an official name)

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Billtrumpet25 is surprisingly tart

Tie between Harry Potter and Codex Alera.

Although if we have to go further back in time, before those two series, I'd say Chronicles of Narnia hands-down.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcminis View Post
Since getting into fantasy...um almost 30 years ago now. I have read alot. And besides Tolkien. I love R.A. Salvatore and his Drow creation. Extreme love of Robert E. Howard. Michael Moorcock's Elric saga was great as well. But as far as favourite I have a special place in my heart for the very 1st fantasy novel I read. 'Dragons of Autumn Twilight' by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
You just became one of my favorite people on this site jcmcminis and you are from Michigan to boot. Robert E. Howard is the father of sword and sorcery and the greatest yarn spinner to ever walk the earth. The genre is huge now but in his day he walked alone. My favorite book of his is Swordwoman which contains the only three stories about a character known as Dark Agnes. It also has a tale about my favorite character of his Black Turlough. Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mac Morn, Kull, Cormac Mac Art, the real Red Sonja and the list goes on and on. He also wrote amazing westerns, boxing tales (Steve Costigan And Dennis Durgan are hilarious), oriental and middle eastern adventures. He even wrote Cthullu stories (which I prefer to H.P. Lovecraft). If you want to know more about the man check out the movie The Whole Wide World.
Check out ReH, nearly all his stories are short pulp fiction tales, quick, easy reads and some of the best writing ever. It is sad we did not get more from him... peace

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1009 View Post
Lord of the Rings and the Eragon books. (I don't know if this series has an official name)

Its the Inheritance Cycle,which is also a favorite of mine along with Artemis Fowl,Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Lord of the Rings,

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Scaper Nerd is surprisingly tart

My personal favorites are the Legend of Drizzt and The Hunter's Blade trilogy, The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, the Kane Chronicles, the Ranger's Apprentice, Jurrasic Park( I don't know if you guys would consider it a fantasy or not), the Inheritance Cycle, and The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Micheal Scott.

Scaper Nerd is Sharwin Wildborn...
in the Tower of Agony..
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:38 AM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Most of my favorites have been mentioned (Jordan's Wheel of Time, Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, Sanderson's Mistborn, Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean, Feist's Riftwar and Serpentwar...)

I'll add-

The Kingkiller Chronicles (or is it "Chronicle"?) by Pat Rothfuss (be warned- he's as slow as George RR Martin, but his books are amazing!)

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (stand-alone)
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
yTrangVargasy

The Animal Farm by George Orwell
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM

Billtrumpet25 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by yTrangVargasy View Post
The Animal Farm by George Orwell
I don't think it's as much fantasy as it is political (dare I say satire), but I do see your point.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Oh my... I must go look at my bookshelves, as well as library reading history before answering. Too many to choose off the top of my head.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books