Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old December 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Sports: Soccer

Yeah, but with Slovenia and Algeria as the other two, they should both advance.

This thing always makes me wonder how random it really is. It seems like a big coincidence that the team generally regarded as the toughest non-seeded team (France) just happened to end up in the group that had BY FAR the weakest seeded team (South Africa).

The toughest group is probably group G. Brazil, Portugal, and the Ivory Coast. Thanks for playing, North Korea.
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

True---they weren't drawn when I posted. Germany and Ghana are the most likely opponents in the next round, I'd guess (other possibilities are Australia and Serbia). As far as history goes, Germany and Argentina are the two biggies for England. I don't think we can play Argentina until the final. Does the US have any potential grudge matches?
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
True---they weren't drawn when I posted. Germany and Ghana are the most likely opponents in the next round, I'd guess (other possibilities are Australia and Serbia).
Ah, I didn't notice that. Doubly good draw - the group we cross into for the round of 16 might be the weakest group in the field.

Quote:
As far as history goes, Germany and Argentina are the two biggies for England. I don't think we can play Argentina until the final.
Depending on whether you finish first or second in your group, you can end up on either half of the draw. So, theoretically, you can meet any team outside your group in the semifinals.

Quote:
Does the US have any potential grudge matches?
The only real international rival for the USA is Mexico. For a long time they dominated us, and we've still never beaten them in Mexico City, but lately we win more often than not. The only USA win in World Cup knockout play since 1930 was against Mexico in 2002 in South Korea. (We lost to Germany in the quarters.)

It's possible we could see Mexico in the quarters, if we both made it that far.

ETA: Nate Silver of the ridiculously awesome fivethirtyeight.com gives us percentage predictions for each team. He's got England with an 82% chance of making it out of the group, and the USA next-best at 48%, with Algeria and Slovenia splitting the remaining odds.

Last edited by dok; December 4th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker

I'm really excited about our draw and our chances this year. I can't wait for the USA, England game! June 12th.

I think Mexico's going to get knocked out 1st round. I doubt they'll beat South Africa, and I think France will advance. Uruguay is better then most people think too.

Most of the draws are pretty straight-forward, but there's a couple of very good ones out there.

Old December 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

ETA: Nate Silver of the ridiculously awesome fivethirtyeight.com gives us percentage predictions for each team. He's got England with an 82% chance of making it out of the group, and the USA next-best at 48%, with Algeria and Slovenia splitting the remaining odds.
Wow, South Africa's got some really low odds. I've watched them play, and they can play really well. I can't believe they're at the bottom of their group on his chart.

Old December 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

SouthAfrica has the home team energy, but being honest, they aren't a dominant team. But that home advantage can be an influence. France comes from BARELY qualifying, yet, it's still France. Uruguay had to play an wildcard game to get in and Mexico beats them regularly. Do not discount MExico, their last few games were great and the team is gelling like they hadn't in years. Even the French press said that the only true rival in the group is Mexico. I think the teams advancing will be France and Mexico. Heck, I give Mexico a better chance than I do France right now, remember, they had to cheat to get in! I wouldn't be surprised if France does't make it.

England and US in the same group is very cool, and i think those two will have and easy time getting through.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
World Cup draw underway now: England and USA are in the same group.
Sweet! I was lucky enough to be at the game in (93?) in Foxboro when the U.S. beat England for the first time in 50 years. It was just a friendly, but definitively a cool game.

Algeria and Slovenia should not pose much of a problem, so hopefully both will advance.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:40 PM

tomyumgai is surprisingly tart

It'll be difficult to cheer USA while some of my favorite players are playing for England. Anyway, there is a chance I could make to that game in S. Africa (I will be there in June)! What a game it will be if I can be at that particular game, England vs. USA. We did well in tourney in S. Africa, I was surprised. I can't wait until June! Go USA!
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
Quote:
World Cup draw underway now: England and USA are in the same group.
Sweet! I was lucky enough to be at the game in (93?) in Foxboro when the U.S. beat England for the first time in 50 years. It was just a friendly, but definitively a cool game.

Algeria and Slovenia should not pose much of a problem, so hopefully both will advance.
I hate to be the pessimist, but you are completely overlooking two solid teams. Slovenia may not sound like a big name, but they beat Guus Hiddink's Russian team in a two legged playoff. They should not be overlooked. Algeria won two out of three overall to beat Egypt (the two time reining African Cup of Nations holder) in their qualifying group. They will also get home team type support due to the location of the games. I think they US can make it through the group, but I think it is more difficult than many people think.

I can't wait for the games to start. I'm planning on taking some vacation time to get a chance to enjoy as many games as possible.
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

I'm seriously hoping I'm not working during the US/England game. I will be watching that game no matter what. If I have to bring my laptop to work I will be doing it, and stream the game somehow online.

I seriously hope Italy doesn't go far, those cheating jerks.

I'm rooting for England though. I've always loved their football clubs. Yes, I will use the CORRECT term. I do have to ask everyone here, mainly because I noticed someone had a Man U avatar. Am I the only Liverpool fan here? Ollie, please tell me you're not a Manchester United fan?!?!

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
Ollie, please tell me you're not a Manchester United fan?!?!
No, don't worry. Aston Villa. They currently have two US goalkeepers: Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan (as is well known in the UK, all Americans are called Brad; they may have had to change their names to Brad on their passports to convince UK authorities that they weren't fake). I know Friedel was the first choice US keeper a while ago, but I vaguely remember that he retired from international football. Is that right? Is Guzan in with a chance of making the US squad? He has reportedly been playing very well when given a chance at Villa.
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
Ollie, please tell me you're not a Manchester United fan?!?!
No, don't worry. Aston Villa. They currently have two US goalkeepers: Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan (as is well known in the UK, all Americans are called Brad; they may have had to change their names to Brad on their passports to convince UK authorities that they weren't fake). I know Friedel was the first choice US keeper a while ago, but I vaguely remember that he retired from international football. Is that right? Is Guzan in with a chance of making the US squad? He has reportedly been playing very well when given a chance at Villa.
Guzan is generally considered the primary back up to Tim Howard. He is still young, so many consider him the keeper of the future as well. I wish Villa was still in the Europa League. That gave Guzan more opportunities to see action. Now he'll have to hope for FA Cup matches or a Friedal injury (unlikely, as Friedal holds the record for most consecutive starts in the Prem). Brad Friedal did retire, shortly after he was the hands down team MVP when we went to the Quarterfinals at WC 2002. He says the travel across the Atlantic was too much for him as he got older.

As for support, I follow Bolton Wanderers and Chelsea FC. I hope the Blues put an end to ManU's recent league domination. I would love to see the Prem become a more competitive league top to bottom, a la the Bundesliga. Unfortunately, the cycle of big money to the top 4 will make that a difficult proposition.

Man, I cannot wait until June and the kickoff for the WC. It can't get here soon enough.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV