Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Old August 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM

HokshilaTo Woo who?
The Kids will be in school shortly. Yea! No more family reuinions for the year, I hope. Camping? I hope we can squeeze one more trip in.

The 9th might be ok for me. but I would have my boy and his cousin. They both like to play HS, so I could bring extra for them.

By the way, what would you want me to bring?
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM

ortimus has disabled reputation
I am moving to SLC the end of the month, so IF I can find where this place is on the 9th I would almost surely be there. Always looking for people to scape with.

Wise Man Say, "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late Pizza!"
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun
@ HokshilaTo -- how old are the kids, 9-10-ish?

@Minivann -- How were you thinking the 9/9 SpringvilleScape event should be organized? One large board, or "official" boards? How many MS would you have down there, and how much more would you need?

Will there be some sort of tournament setup? Assuming a tournament of multiple scenarios during the day, would there be a round/time limit?
Standard "kill-em-all," or would you be adding Quests of Heroscape cards (which I happen to have) for variety?

Would you have open drafting, BYO armies, or pre-made army lists to save time for newbies? What point value?

I've been thinking GaryLASQ's MOPs would be very useful here. If die-hards bring several MS' worth of premade meta-hexes, they would just need to be pushed together to make whatever size battlefield(s) are required. This would cut way down on setup time.

By the time the 9th rolls around, I should be getting my huge order from HouseMouse, so I'll have 4MS and a complete collection of everything (except Sir Hawthorne), with double commons and double terrain expansions. At your service, sir!

Any other planning ideas? I haven't participated in a big HS event before.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:14 AM

HokshilaTo Woo who?
The boys are both 9. And hopefully Scapers for life...
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
HokshilaTo, Bring the boys, by all means. My son is 9 and he will be playing. One of my neighbors has a boy the same age (they've never played, but the dad is an old D&D veteran from late 80's early 90's).

UtahScott, I wasn't thinking of anything real hardcore. With as many newer players as I hope will come from my area, I was thinking just a casual gathering. Of course once it happens I won't rule out a improvised tourney. I was thinking of setting up a few boards with official maps. IIRC there are 3 of the banquet tables in the clubhouse, so maybe 1 or 2 maps on each one. I've got 2 VW, 1 RttFF, and 1 TT. I've got 5 MS and my son has one if necessary. The MOP idea may be worth doing, but I was just thinking for this time setting up some boards and having a few games.

I think the place I'm really hurting as far as game supplies is concerned is figs (unless you have castles ). I have 2 MS worth of figs available, 3 if I get my son's, 1 Orm's return and then 6 boosters. So I'd say just bring figs, but more RttFF wouldn't hurt. Maybe a bag of chips and a 2 liter soda.
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun
To clarify:

4 complete MS
Waves 1 thru 4 -- all with double commons (3 Drones & Minions)
2 FF
2 VW
1 Orm's

pending HouseMouse order:
1 Wave 5 (double commons if I can find them locally)
1 Raknar
2 Castles
2 TT

I guess I'll bring everything, just so y'all can see my storage setup, if any might find it useful.

Minivann, since there's a limited figure pool and newbies would be overwhelmed drafting from 86 different army cards (and that would detract from Fun) what would you think of this idea: we get a count of how many figures everybody can pool, and make up preset armies for each battlefield. After everybody plays a scenario, we move players to a new battlefield, with different armies waiting. That way, newbies get to start right off, and get a varied experience, with new opponents and 5-6 new army cards each time. Whaddya think? There's a link somewhere to an automated Army Builder somewhere on this site.

And how many people do you think will come? There's 5 from SLC, and 4 down your way (so far).

Ortimus, HokshilaTo, anybody want to carpool with pooled gas $$?
And what time were you thinking of ending this deal, Minivann?
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
9 so far? Wow, I would have been happy with the couple odd guys from my neighborhood. I've got 3 that I was going to invite. Two from my neighborhood, and a guy I worked with from Provo. The two from my neighborhood will likely bring their sons with them if they come. If everyone comes that's 16.

On the premade army idea, I think that it's a good idea. I think that the newbs will pick it up pretty quick, though. The only one that has no experience is the old D&D vet. I explained the rules briefly to him, and he didn't have any problems with it. Maybe have a few premades available, but after a while we can switch to drafts.

When does it end? Who knows. I'm thinking of just playing it by ear. I would say that the latest I'm going to want to go is 8. That should allow for a few good games.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM

The four down your way include you, your son, and your D&D neighbor's family. Am waiting on the UT County response.

My apologies if I was unclear. Still unsure whether Ortimus can make it after his move, but here's to hoping.

Minivann, what boards were you going to set up? I'll make up some preset army lists, but I need to know your boosters & a point value, and that depends on the (official?) scenarios.
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:20 AM

nickmodaily has disabled reputation
I don't want to impose, but do you happen to have room for one more player?

"It is not possible to fight beyond your strength, even if you strive."
Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Quest Quitter

Sure, we'll make room if we need to. I just heard from one of the guys that I invited, and he will be out of town that weekend. He is one of the ones that would be bringing his son.
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM

nickmodaily has disabled reputation
So, I showed up at the blue clubhouse at Minivann's place at around 2:00 today, but nobody was there. I waited around for half an hour and then decided to knock on his door. I was a little hesitant since I had no idea what Minivann looks like (or his real name for that matter), but I thought I'd at least give it a try.

As I was about to knock, a little girl with blond hair and a kool-aid moustache came in through the front door and started down the stairs. She was holding herself like she had to go to the bathroom pretty bad. I asked her if she lived in number 2 and she said that she did. As she started to walk past me I asked if her dad was home, but she said neither he nor her mother were home. I was going to ask a few more questions, but she started to dance around like she REALLY needed to go pee. So I let her go.

I thought that maybe Minivann had gone to the store for some snacks so I went to the Wendy's close by to get some food, giving him some time to get return from whatever errands he needed to run. I got back to the clubhouse at around 3:00, but still, nobody was there. I didn't want to wait around much longer, so I took off.

I'm sorry if the times or places were changed. The last I heard, Minivann was going to start setting stuff up at 1:00 in the clubhouse. I would have loved to play. Let me know when you guys play again. I'd really love to join you.

P.S. Cute kid by the way. (If I was even at the right place and if that was even your kid.)

"It is not possible to fight beyond your strength, even if you strive."
Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Quest Quitter

Sorry, I probably should have drawn more attention to the fact that it was changed to Sept 9. I think it was back on page 1 (or 2?). I had some stuff that both me and the wife forgot about until pretty much right after I posted today's date. Sounds like you found it OK. I'm guessing that the little girl looked about 5? Just need to get her older sister to do a better job babysitting and her older brother to do a better job making koolaid.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers