Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart
Re: Capuan Gladiators - what's your army idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
Any non-Spartacus ideas, I know I'm having a hard time fathoming it, but hmm...
A very hard time...

Capuans without Sparty is like Dund without Carr.

"The greatest advice ever given to me was don't be an idiot. Before I do anything, I always think, would an idiot do this? If they would, I don't do it."

~Dwight, The Office
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM

ganondorf557 has disabled reputation

I posted this in the discussion thread so I am going to post it here to:

Spartacus - 200
Capuanx2 - 340
Major Q10 - 490
Isamu - 10

Solid range and the Steamroller. Could see some fun games with this army.

Dwarves x3, Migol, Raelin (RotV), Krav Maga Agents. Can't wait till wave 9 is released!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM

Panopticon knows what's in an order marker Panopticon knows what's in an order marker

The only problem I can see with deviating from the standard Spartacus, Crixus, Capuan x3 build is that other army compositions don't use Spartacus' high points cost efficiently. Spartacus costs 200 points because he buffs Heroes as well as Squads. If you're not using another hero that he can boost than he's taking up too many points in your army.

Last edited by Panopticon; June 4th, 2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
The only problem I can see with deviating from the standard Spartacus, Crixus, Capuan x3 build is that other army compositions don't use Spartacus' high points cost efficiently. Spartacus costs 200 points because he buffs Heroes as well as Squads. If you're not using another hero that he can boost than he's taking up too many points in your army.
I think this may have been the intention of the cards. It plays well with their history, during the Gladiator uprising. They were nothing without each other. I think they may be the most historically accurate (and historically complicated) cards to date.

(Also heroes has 2 e's in it. )

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:19 PM

ganondorf557 has disabled reputation

Panopticon that is true. Maybe that is where a build like this one could not have Spartacus:

Capuanx3 - 210
Crixus - 300
Krav Maga Agents - 400
Raelin 1.0 - 480
Marcu or Ninjas - 500

Dwarves x3, Migol, Raelin (RotV), Krav Maga Agents. Can't wait till wave 9 is released!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotassiumk19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
Any non-Spartacus ideas, I know I'm having a hard time fathoming it, but hmm...
A very hard time...

Capuans without Sparty is like Dund without Carr.
Actually, if I'm going to mix in a significant number of other figures (i.e. not a pure steamroller) then leaving Spartacus out makes a certain amount of sense. After all, once you start mixing your OMs up you lose the whole value of Spartacus.

For instance:

210 Capuans x3
90 Crixus
180 Major Q9
480, 12 hexes

But... yeah, it's no steamroller. Without Spartacus, they're basically heavy gruts/dwarves with one less figure per activation.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganondorf557 View Post
Panopticon that is true. Maybe that is where a build like this one could not have Spartacus:

Capuanx3 - 210
Crixus - 300
Krav Maga Agents - 400
Raelin 1.0 - 480
Marcu or Ninjas - 500
You could do that, but why not just take the Knights of Weston x 3 and Finn or Thorgrim instead of Capuans x 3 and Crixus. Knights would have a better defense and an extra figure. Without Spartacus boosting these guys into 4/4 territory, I just don't see the point in taking them. There are much better ways to spend your 70 points.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

How about a ranged screen?

Spartacus 200
2xCapuans 140
4xRepulsors 160

You'd need to get the Repulsors to develop the board and then pound it home with the Spartacus-led Gladiators.

~Aldin, late to the party

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
How about a ranged screen?

Spartacus 200
2xCapuans 140
4xRepulsors 160

You'd need to get the Repulsors to develop the board and then pound it home with the Spartacus-led Gladiators.

~Aldin, late to the party
A nice way to counter the problems the Steamroller is bound to have with range. You get the ranged attack with the repulsors and you have a defense speicifaclly against Soulborges.
Imagine your opponent gets his Q9 EMPed and your free to use your Steamroller against him without responce for the rest of the round.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Ranged screen? I like it.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

x1 Sparatacus.................200
x1 Retarius........................90
x1 Crixus...........................90
x2 Capuan Gladiators.......140

Total:520

You can just increase your number of Capuan Gladiators if you need to with higher point totals.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

I don't think this army has been mentioned yet

Spartacus
3x Capuans
Retiarius

I would never take Retiarius over Crixus but it is a viable build.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion