Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Arrow mac122's customs: Chops Dessert Entry

Heroscape Customs by

AT-43, Star Wars, MechWarrior, Soulborgs, and a little bit more...
Chops Dessert Entry
Frost Dwarf - Tied for 4th Place

Bio: Across the mountains, through the ice and snow, a treasure awaited. And what dwarf can resist treasure? Especially treasure that might win freedom for their brethren. But, treasure is rarely left unguarded. Finding their way to the cave, the searching band was met by powerful magick, greedy magick. A magick that did not wish to share its hoard. Jandar plucked them away before they could be frozen for all eternity, but not before the magick had altered the dwarves forever...

The figure used for this unit is a Dungeons and Dragons figure from the War Drums set. Its model name and number are #48 Frost Dwarf.

The figure used for this unit is a Dungeons and Dragons promo figure. Its model name and number are #DDC35 Frost Dwarf.

Chops Entree Contest Winner!
Thanks for the votes! Pleocyemata won the second round of the Chops competition!

Bio: None knew how long Pleocyemata dwelled in the Valhallan swamps. The ancient crustacean was content to live out his days in peace, munching on the occasional fish or amphibian or even larger land creature that had the misfortune to become lost in the swamp. No malice. Just sustenance. Peace. The Marro changed all that. Their Hives upset the balance of the swamp. Armies muddied the already dark waters, while weapons manufacture poisoned them. If only their gangly bodies were good eating, perhaps he could have tolerated them. But, no. These spoilers must be destroyed. An Aquillan squad, surrounded by a Marro ambush, witnessed first-hand Pleocyemata's wrath. One by one, Stinger, Drudge, Divider, returned to the swamp that spawned them, dragged down by huge pincers. Saved from certain doom, the Aquillans were determined to inform their general of a potential ally.
The figure used for this unit is a Pathfinder Battles figure from the Maze of Death set. Its model name and number are #29 Deep Lurker.

This was my original design for the second round of the Chops Custom Contest. Really liked it, but when I was searching to make sure C3V hadn't used the figure, I found another design with powers too similar.
BELDWIN BOAR-RIDER

SKELETAL DWARF

Bio: Errant magic, it was. The wizard’s misspoken incantation, meant to protect the lives of his Dwarven comrades, brought something very different, indeed. Terrified, he watched as the skeletal remains of fallen Axegrinders rose from their bloodied and battered corpses. But as these skeletons picked up arms and armor and continued the battle, his terror found a new home in the eyes of his foes.

The figure used for this unit is a Dungeons and Dragons figure from the Deathknell set. Its model number and name are #40/Skeletal Dwarf.

THONTAK GEMCASTER

The figure used for this unit is a Dungeons and Dragons figure from the Icons of the Realms: Rage of Demons set. Its model number and name are 8/55 / Shield Dwarf Wizard..

Finally getting around to revamping my customs thread. I'll update links as time permits. Actually, just kinda sweeping everything under the spoiler rug for now.

Spoiler Alert!

Kudos & Credits:
To GreyOwl for providing the card templates and customization tools. GO's Toolbox
To Whitestuff for the great tutorial on using GIMP. Whitestuff's GIMP Tutorial
And to bmaczero for adapting MSE to Heroscape card blanks!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031

Last edited by mac122; February 21st, 2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added new designs
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:16 AM

SpiderCoach knows what's in an order marker SpiderCoach knows what's in an order marker
Re: mac122's customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Here's my first attempt at creating a Heroscape custom. I used a Mechwarrior Spirit Cat's Crimson Hawk. For now I made it a Soulborg, but I eventually I would like to add more Mechwarrior flavor - weapons, attacks, pilots, etc...

I am curious what any of you might think about it. Please feel free to offer a critique. I would appreciate any constructive remarks.
Thanks!

Hold it! I have to fix the card. It would help if all the text showed! Doh!
mac-
Welcome to the site. I gotta say...that's a pretty good first attempt at creating a custom/card. I think he seems over powered at 150 points; those lasers and reactor breach abilities are pretty potent. Not to mention...his regular stats are solid through and through.

Have you spent some time playtesting him to see if that point cost makes sense?

"If winning doesn't matter, why keep score?"

Special Thanks to: stay_golden_PONYBOY, Browncoat, Onacara, King's Knight, Grishnakh, and Kenjib

Good Traders: capnfrank, heroscaper314, Rÿchean
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:26 AM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Thanks for replying so fast and for the nice comment. No, I haven't had the opportunity to really test him out. I am hoping that folks like you will give me some feedback especially in getting the point cost right. Do you think it should be 20, 30, 40, ??? points more? Let me know.

Or what do I need to cut back in the other stats to keep him in the 150 point range?

Last edited by mac122; November 24th, 2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

My biggest grief with your card is the S.A.Not to insult the idea but I'd
tone the attack down(cause they're lasers)and it hits 3 times.This would cause everyone of my customs to get slaughtered.
Or the majority of my dudes all together.Why does his S.A. overpower him so?
If you toned down that S.A. come and drop the Jump Jets to 3 Move for
10 height.He'd be killer on castle maps!

Btw, feel free to send neg rep my way if my ideas totally destroy your dude.Or check out my Customs and insult themI'd love the critisism
and maybe you'll find new troops to add to your army.flameslayer93 offers his customs to all

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
My biggest grief with your card is the S.A.Not to insult the idea but I'd
tone the attack down(cause they're lasers)and it hits 3 times.This would cause everyone of my customs to get slaughtered.
Or the majority of my dudes all together.Why does his S.A. overpower him so?
If you toned down that S.A. come and drop the Jump Jets to 3 Move for
10 height.He'd be killer on castle maps!

Btw, feel free to send neg rep my way if my ideas totally destroy your dude.Or check out my Customs and insult themI'd love the critisism
and maybe you'll find new troops to add to your army.flameslayer93 offers his customs to all

That's the kind of critique I'm looking for. I'm not only a newbie in customs, I've only had the game since I got a huge box of it at a silent auction this past summer (Master set, Road to the Forgotten Forest, and Fortress of the Archkyrie for $10!). I still have a lot to learn.

So, what do you think for Pulse Lasers, reduce the range to 3, the attack to 2, or reduce the targets to 2? I thought about making more of a double attack on one target, but I wanted this to be more of an anti-squad attack.

Also, I see what you are saying about the Jump Jets. Maybe I'm letting my old Mechwarrior Mercenaries computer game playing influence me - you could fly half-way up a mountain with jump jets in that game.

So, if I cut the jump jets back to a more normal HS level make a cut in the range or attack in pulse lasers, do you think this would be able to stay at 150 or would I need to bump it up?
Thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:45 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Great to know my ideas are useful.For Pulse Lasers I think that all off those drops aren't totally nessesary.Keep range if you kill his normal ranged
attack(he has HANDS).Keep the #of attacks low.TRUST me here.2 shots means instant squad killer.If you'd like more help lemme know which master
set you have.PM me on that matter, no sense wasting thread space.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Great to know my ideas are useful.For Pulse Lasers I think that all off those drops aren't totally nessesary.Keep range if you kill his normal ranged
attack(he has HANDS).Keep the #of attacks low.TRUST me here.2 shots means instant squad killer.If you'd like more help lemme know which master
I just posted an updated card to the first page. I cut the Jump Jets to 10 levels and reduced the Pulse Lasers to 3 range and 2 attack. Again, pulling Mechwarrior Mercs gameplay from my longterm memory, pulse lasers traded power and range for multiple shots. The lower values are probably more thematic. I think I want to keep a normal ranged attack as mechs usually have multiple weapons systems. I'm still willing to raise the point value if necessary. I hope to do some playtesting tomorrow against some classic HS units.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
I could go

Quote:
Quote:
I just posted an updated card to the first page. I cut the Jump Jets to 10 levels and reduced the Pulse Lasers to 3 range and 2 attack. Again, pulling Mechwarrior Mercs gameplay from my longterm memory, pulse lasers traded power and range for multiple shots. The lower values are probably more thematic. I think I want to keep a normal ranged attack as mechs usually have multiple weapons systems. I'm still willing to raise the point value if necessary. I hope to do some playtesting tomorrow against some classic HS units.
Very well about the range and multi attacks.But that means a serious point raiser of possible 180....Or delete the explosion.Which slightly drops value to 160 or 165....Ihate seeing cards prices go up,only results in far less play

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very well about the range and multi attacks.But that means a serious point raiser of possible 180....Or delete the explosion.Which slightly drops value to 160 or 165....Ihate seeing cards prices go up,only results in far less play
Let's compare Crimson Hawk to Major Q10. The good Major has two special attacks, each more potent than Crimson Hawk's pulse lasers:
Machine Pistol - Range 7 - Attack 2 - Targets up to 4
Wrist Rocket - Range 4 - Attack 4 - Targets up to 2

Reactor Breach has a 30% chance to do a lot of damage but only once and only if lucky enough to be in the middle of a bunch of opponents forces. If he gets caught next to friendlies when the fatal blow is delivered...

Crimson Hawk has one more life point, one more move point, and jump jet mobility, but gives up 3 in the normal range department.

Altogether, these seem like reasonable trade-offs to keep Crimson Hawk at Q10's 150 point level.

Again, I'm still learning, so anybody feel free to help me understand what I may not be seeing.
Thanks!

edit: If you still feel the price needs to go up as it stands, would lowering the life to 4 (same as Q10) balance it better for you?

Last edited by mac122; January 3rd, 2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: add
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM

Vilsara is surprisingly tart

I wouldn't say that Crimson Hawk is TOO overpowered- he's a less useful Q10 with upgraded mobility.

...Like winona said >.>

Nonetheless, the card is great, the figure fits with Heroscape, and the powers are very balanced. My only quirp is that he has a disciplined personality; I'm being picky, but he looks like more of a "Presice" figure. However, strategically, he could fit into a Greek Disciplined army at not cost... but... but...

Ah, sod it. +rep for you, and welcome to the the site!

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilsara View Post
I wouldn't say that Crimson Hawk is TOO overpowered- he's a less useful Q10 with upgraded mobility.

...Like winona said >.>

Nonetheless, the card is great, the figure fits with Heroscape, and the powers are very balanced. My only quirp is that he has a disciplined personality; I'm being picky, but he looks like more of a "Presice" figure. However, strategically, he could fit into a Greek Disciplined army at not cost... but... but...

Ah, sod it. +rep for you, and welcome to the the site!
Thanks for the feedback AND the +rep (think that's my first!). I have to say that the traits like personality are an area that I'm not as familiar with. I think I understand what you mean - disciplined would probably be better for a squad or soldier type unit. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll make that edit later today.

Thanks for the feedback! It's the only way us "40something" kids will ever learn! LOL
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Re: Personality

My favorite personality is Q10's... I mean... Merciful!?

Does this look like a guy full of mercy?? The only mercy I can find is the fact that he doesn't F- around. He doesn't let you suffer... Once you get hit by a mini gun and some rockets, there is nothing left to feel... Just dead... DEAD!

The only mercy you will find is the mercy of an executioner...

So, I say, make the personality what ever you like! I can see a Disciplined soulborg. I'm kinda thinking Robocop here. He had his list of directives and he followed them un errantly.

Shameless plug now... I am not getting much feed back on my new customs a few threads down, so, if you would like to check them out, I would appreciate the feed back. Thanks! (Damn you V! I never woulda done that if you hadn't shown how well it works! )

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards