Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Notices

Old April 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Preferences for New Fan Fiction II

@Airborne Elite 5 @BiggaBullfrog @kevindola @Scaperedude @TREX @twilkerson @William099

Hi all. I'm mentioning everyone that voted on my last preferences thread, because I've completed my most recent fan fiction (still editing it), and am gearing up for the next one. As of right now, I don't know what that next fiction will be about, so I wanted to open it up to you guys to give me ideas on what you would like to see (or what you wouldn't like to see, if that's the case).

If you have an idea of what would (or wouldn't) make an awesome fan fiction, let me know, and I'll take it into consideration. I'm just fishing for ideas here, so I could still come up with my own, or combine a few. I might bounce some off of you as well.

Some details (VERY IMPORTANT):
  • I need to experiment heavily with subplots in this fan fiction. I've realized that until now, I haven't dealt at all with subplots. This is the final thing my writing was missing, and I need to explore it thoroughly. This means that the fan fiction needs to be open to subplots, which means there are likely several characters involved, and not just one.
  • As of right now, this will be my final fan fiction. I want it to be awesome, and I'd like to show a lot of different sides of Valhalla and the homeworlds if I can.
~TGRF.

Current Ideas
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by TGRF; April 14th, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:14 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Preferences for New Fan Fiction II

I think it would be super cool if you wrote up a story that included heroes from scape, going on a journey through different lands in Valhalla that you could remake into a campaign and actually play it along with the story you wrote. Example, "The adventurers go through a cavern and encounter a couple of trolls and a contingent of goblins". If you make a cool story, then I'm sure you could get help with some of the guys on here to make a scenario that follows along with your story. It would be pretty fun. Along with it being a good read, you could play a scenario along with it. Subplots could be side objectives that may help your heroes beat their enemies easier.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:17 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As a point of interest, I might finish up Code 4114. Normally I wouldn't, but the development was all done and I was part way into the writing, and actually liking the way it was turning out. It is a possibility.

~TGRF.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I think it would be super cool if you wrote up a story that included heroes from scape, going on a journey through different lands in Valhalla that you could remake into a campaign and actually play it along with the story you wrote. Example, "The adventurers go through a cavern and encounter a couple of trolls and a contingent of goblins". If you make a cool story, then I'm sure you could get help with some of the guys on here to make a scenario that follows along with your story. It would be pretty fun. Along with it being a good read, you could play a scenario along with it. Subplots could be side objectives that may help your heroes beat their enemies easier.
Hmm. That is definitely an idea. I usually don't take the actual game into account, because I'm entirely focused on the story, but it's definitely something I could do. It leaves the story open-ended, and creates opportunities for scenarios, and maybe even customs.

I'll roll it around a bit and see what happens. Thanks for the idea!

~TGRF.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:24 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:
Hmm. That is definitely an idea. I usually don't take the actual game into account, because I'm entirely focused on the story, but it's definitely something I could do. It leaves the story open-ended, and creates opportunities for scenarios, and maybe even customs.

~TGRF.
Basically what I'm trying to say here is: You write up some awesome adventure that includes characters from the game, then some of the people on here that are interested could make a cool scenario that follows along with your story. Heroes find treasure in your story, they have a chance to find treasure in a scenario. After its done, it gets made into a sweet pdf and players have a cool story to read and a scenario to play.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:

~TGRF.
Basically what I'm trying to say here is: You write up some awesome adventure that includes characters from the game, then some of the people on here that are interested could make a cool scenario that follows along with your story. Heroes find treasure in your story, they have a chance to find treasure in a scenario. After its done, it gets made into a sweet pdf and players have a cool story to read and a scenario to play.
Those were my thoughts too. I could send them through several battles, but those battles could be actual scenarios, and the scenarios together could be part of a huge campaign. Something like that.

~TGRF.
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Why didn't ya mention me, you fascist!?

I think for your last fanfic you should finally write that Ne-Gok-Sa Gardening story. The epic we've all been waiting for.

Quote:
That's called Thunderstorm. I wouldn't recommend it, because it is very difficult to make game objectives always fit into a story in a logical way, or vise versa. Even though that was never really meant to be a story and therefore had a much clunkier translation, I'd still say it'd be really hard to pull it off smoothly. Unless you know someone who could do the scenario itself and co-write with them so it both plays well and reads well, but again that's a bit of a challenge. I think any well-written Heroscape fic can be made into a Scenario with a few tweaks, so having to fret about how it'll play out ahead of time will only detract from the story.

From my admittedly limited experience the best way to do subplots are usually to have them tie into or contribute to the main plot somehow by the end of the story, or at least have some kind of payoff. Subplots that go nowhere are boring. So that would require quite a bit of planning ahead. The plot can't just be a straight line: it's gotta be like a spider's web. Whatever you write, I say have a large cast of characters with differing objectives, motives, character arcs, and/or backstories. And then have some common thread linking them so they have something to connect or fight over.

~TAF,

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old April 11th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Re: Why didn't ya mention me, you fascist!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I think for your last fanfic you should finally write that Ne-Gok-Sa Gardening story. The epic we've all been waiting for.

Quote:
That's called Thunderstorm. I wouldn't recommend it, because it is very difficult to make game objectives always fit into a story in a logical way, or vise versa. Even though that was never really meant to be a story and therefore had a much clunkier translation, I'd still say it'd be really hard to pull it off smoothly. Unless you know someone who could do the scenario itself and co-write with them so it both plays well and reads well, but again that's a bit of a challenge. I think any well-written Heroscape fic can be made into a Scenario with a few tweaks, so having to fret about how it'll play out ahead of time will only detract from the story.

From my admittedly limited experience the best way to do subplots are usually to have them tie into or contribute to the main plot somehow by the end of the story, or at least have some kind of payoff. Subplots that go nowhere are boring. So that would require quite a bit of planning ahead. The plot can't just be a straight line: it's gotta be like a spider's web. Whatever you write, I say have a large cast of characters with differing objectives, motives, character arcs, and/or backstories. And then have some common thread linking them so they have something to connect or fight over.

~TAF,
Any subplots I include will definitely link to the main plot. That's one of the things they need: connections to the main plot (part of the story), differences from the main plot (so you aren't reading the same thing over and over), and reader interest (so they aren't wishing they could just go back to the main plot). They also don't want more interest than the main plot, or the opposite will happen. That's what happened in Eldest.

I think I could make ample opportunity for several scenarios. What doesn't work is when you get too bogged down with actually relating the combat rather than the characters in the combat. There's a difference. You also want to make sure there isn't combat for combat's sake. It all has to either advance the plot, explore the characters, or increase conflict. And never, never, kill someone off just because they are in the way and have out-lived their usefulness. Everything needs meaning.

~TGRF.
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:16 PM

Re: Why didn't ya mention me, you fascist!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
That's not the hard one. It's the Venoc-Rambo story that had me stumped. I actually started the NGS-Gardening one at one point:
Quote:
There comes a point when a person believes they have hit bottom. They reason nothing can be worse than their current situation. Invariably, later in life they see a situation that is worse, and reflect on how good they had it. And very rarely, they will see a situation, and remark that what they witness is truly the lowest of circumstances. Surely, things could get no worse. Whoever is unfortunate enough to be in that situation is a person anyone can truly pity.
I am that person. And I don’t need your pity.

Ne-Gok-Sa watched his arms move. In and out, in and out; the cycle was never ending. The staff they held went into the muck, dug around for a moment, and then came back out, the ground squelching with unabsorbed moisture. In and out, in and out.
Ne-Gok-Sa’s foot took a step forward, moving him on to another patch of soggy swamp ground. In and out. Ne-Gok-Sa watched impassively. That was all he could do: watch. He had no control over his body.
His mind was another thing entirely.
~TGRF, who didn't mention you because you had voted 'other' and he was going off of the list of people who voted. Everyone else voted for 'origin,' and you got missed.
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yes, that's a good word for it: meaning. Sometimes a good story is a machine with a lot of moving parts. But I think you could pull it off.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old April 11th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

My gut reaction for a theme of subplots (I mean, it's kind of a theme, right?) is Agent Carr. It would be cool to do a story about the humans from his timeline, maybe starting on Earth and continuing through to Valhalla (especially because it was confirmed that Isamu was about to kill Carr when he was summoned, right?). You could probably throw in other humans too. There are just so many humans in Heroscape it would be cool to see the war through all their eyes. But the one that screams subplot to me the most is agents and ninjas from the future.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old April 12th, 2017, 12:17 AM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Hmmmmm.... What about a story with the actual generals as main characters, or almost narrators, but then the bulk of the story is the sub plots of lesser characters who each are different, but are intertwined through the over arching plot of the generals/main characters? I know the idea probably won't work, but just tossing words out there....

Also I'm a big fan of Bigga's idea!

H E R O S C A P E

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction