Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old September 7th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!
Question Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

You might need to start a learning thread for the Heroscapers site. It can cover basic & advanced mechanics for those new to the site. This might be to ask, but there are things I wish about this site. I been a member for almost a year or so and I still know nothing.
Old September 7th, 2018, 03:38 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

This thread is for questions about the site.

I personally think you've figured a whole bunch of things out. I definitely wouldn't say you know nothing!
Old September 7th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

I personally think you've figured a whole bunch of things out. I definitely wouldn't say you know nothing!
Q: What do I need to know so I can be more than surprisingly tart? There are things I do know and things I don't know yet? How can I better myself at Heroscape and this site?
A:
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

It takes a LONG time to get a high amount of rep. I was surprisingly tart for a long time myself.

Most of the people you see with high rep are also involved in community projects, where others find their contributions valuable.

This site isn't a competition, so you shouldn't necessarily try to be "better". Just be you. Listen to suggestions you get, sure. But I'd hate to tell you exactly how to structure every post you make.

Just find some place on this site that you like (custom units, for example), and become good at making those. It just takes time.

The best way to get better at Heroscape is to play more. You're always welcome to play online. There are people who'd gladly walk you through a game on that platform.

Below I've copied and pasted a good post from @Dad_Scaper from his "Guide to Posting for Young Persons". I'm not sure if you're young or not, but you are kinda new to this site, and this advice seems pertinent.

Spoiler Alert!
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yup.

What you don't see, Heroscaper 101, is that you're already here. You're already one of us. Keep doing your own customs; keep asking questions. You've got this. The rep will take care of itself.

I might tailor this comment particularly to *you*, though; take it for what it's worth. I see you producing a mountain of customs. That's excellent! You want feedback; you want helpful comments; you want a sense that you're going in the right direction. Or, at least, you want a sense of what the right direction is.

Consider offering to other customs creators the same type of feedback you would like for yourself. "I like the way you did this bit; I think the theme might be more fully developed if you tried this other thing." Try offering to others what you seek for yourself. Be engaged in the conversations as a partner.

Also, keep asking questions. Which I know I already wrote in this same post, but I wanted to write it again. Don't get frustrated. You're here already; you're one of us. The little green boxes will take care of themselves.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 7th, 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Damn, SF, how did you find that? I thought you'd found it from my signature box, but it's not there anymore!
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Talking Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Quote:

Quote:
It takes a LONG time to get a high amount of rep. I was surprisingly tart for a long time myself.

Most of the people you see with high rep are also involved in community projects, where others find their contributions valuable.

This site isn't a competition, so you shouldn't necessarily try to be "better". Just be you. Listen to suggestions you get, sure. But I'd hate to tell you exactly how to structure every post you make.

Just find some place on this site that you like (custom units, for example), and become good at making those. It just takes time.

The best way to get better at Heroscape is to play more. You're always welcome to play online. There are people who'd gladly walk you through a game on that platform.

Below I've copied and pasted a good post from @Dad_Scaper from his "Guide to Posting for Young Persons". I'm not sure if you're young or not, but you are kinda new to this site, and this advice seems pertinent.

Spoiler Alert!
I just turned 30 this year and I only found out about Heroscape after I graduated high school in 2006. Watched your online battle with Sir Heroscape and others. You may want to ask experienced members what they know, so you do not make any critical mistakes. It is no contest to see who is "better" on the Heroscapers site, but it is fine that I'm "Suprisingly Tart" it is better than being a "Puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa"
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:27 PM
This is merely a joke.

@Dad_Scaper

It was my memory of your signature box, and the search function. Occasionally my memory works okay

@Heroscaper 101

I wish I had gotten into Heroscape so early! But I'm confused as to the middle part of your post. Are you saying I should ask experienced members for advice? At 6+ years and counting, I'm becoming one of those old fogeys myself .

And the only critical mistake on this site is habitually deceiving or abusing others. Thankfully, that doesn't happen often.
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Lightbulb Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Quote:
@Dad_Scaper

It was my memory of your signature box, and the search function. Occasionally my memory works okay

@Heroscaper 101

I wish I had gotten into Heroscape so early! But I'm confused as to the middle part of your post. Are you saying I should ask experienced members for advice? At 6+ years and counting, I'm becoming one of those old fogeys myself .

And the only critical mistake on this site is habitually deceiving or abusing others. Thankfully, that doesn't happen often.
It is good to from others, before going on your off. You helped me with the Xorlof Card Creator, to make cards for my custom units and thanks for help again. It is difficult to learn on your own, that is why you have others to help you along the way.
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Spoiler Alert!
As an "old fart", I can say with confidence that I've long been disappointed with how the veterans treat newcomers to the site. There is a ridiculous amount of gatekeeping that goes on, and this thread is a prime example.

There is literally a question forum and yet all questions must be confined to one single thread. That's not the way it works on any other forum I've been a part of. (As a side note, it makes searching for answered questions a real pain as well as one question's discussion gets mingled with discussion from the prior question.) What's worse, people with a post count of 1 or 2 are heartily castigated for not following these "rules".

Look guys, the game has been dead for years. Can we really not foster a more welcoming environment for those precious few new people who decide to dip their toes in?

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old September 10th, 2018, 02:01 PM

I'm not sure when I knew about Heroscape, I think it was in 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010. I could have joined the Heroscapers site earlier, but I trusted my family instead so that is why I joined the Heroscapers site in 2018. It took a long time for me to realize I am only in my family that finally did something with Heroscape. This is new to me, so I do not mind criticism and I can deal with it also.
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
Quote:

Spoiler Alert!
As an "old fart", I can say with confidence that I've long been disappointed with how the veterans treat newcomers to the site. There is a ridiculous amount of gatekeeping that goes on, and this thread is a prime example.

There is literally a question forum and yet all questions must be confined to one single thread. That's not the way it works on any other forum I've been a part of. (As a side note, it makes searching for answered questions a real pain as well as one question's discussion gets mingled with discussion from the prior question.) What's worse, people with a post count of 1 or 2 are heartily castigated for not following these "rules".

Look guys, the game has been dead for years. Can we really not foster a more welcoming environment for those precious few new people who decide to dip their toes in?
Good to see you post again, HJ!

If I had to write that PM again today (that's what it was: a PM copied into a post) I would write it differently. At the time, I was writing to explain the response of a community that was more aggressive about "gatekeeping" than I think it is now. I no longer feel like we need to give that explanation.

I'd like to think we are more welcoming than we used to be, though I suppose I could be mistaken about that. I know that I deliberately wrote that PM in order to help people feel better about what they perceived to be rejection, even if the offending posts of others were never intended that way. I was just trying to bridge the gap, so to speak.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:24 PM

There are things that I do not how to do on this site? For starters, I need to know how to post my Heroscape maps to the Heroscapers site?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's