Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: What distance does a HS hex scale too?
No way of knowing/depends/I'm copping out of giving an opinion 5 5.05%
100 miles or more 2 2.02%
approx. 10 miles 0 0%
approx. 1 mile 1 1.01%
approx. 100 yards 3 3.03%
approx. 10 yards 10 10.10%
approx. 10 feet 28 28.28%
5 feet or less 50 50.51%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
What is the scale of a HS hex?

I want your initial impression of HS scale so...

PLEASE ANSWER THE POLL QUESTION WITHOUT LOOKING AT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK...

This question came up in my group. I don't think there is one answer but we had fun discussing the possibilities.

My friend has always pictured the hexes being about 5 feet. His reasoning is a human sized figure fits nicely in a single hex. I always pictured the battles being a bit more grand than 50' volcanoes so I always pictured the scale to be about 100 yards per hex.

IMO, we have no way of knowing because we aren't given enough information. If we knew how long a turn was, we might be able to derive how far a unit could move in that time. Every scale we came up with had problems:
5' - The best ranged units of all time/space can only shoot 50' or less???
100 yards - why can't units be within 100 yards of each other (restraining order?)?
10 miles - Deadeye sure has nice range on that ol' cowboy rifle of his!!!

We decided that you can't know and that it is irrelivant because the game is fun.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
5 feet or less, is my opinion. Especially when you consider the fact that everything else falls into this scale of proportion (trees, walls, bridges, ruins, castles, etc.).

Quote:
We decided that you can't know and that it is irrelivant because the game is fun.
Yeah, this is a good approach to take. Don't overthink things like this too much when it comes to the established system of the game. You know it's working when you have fun with it. No need to bring a huge sense of reality into the game to overshadow your enjoyment.
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
From Dan's bio, "Dan always brought down the big game, often making his shots from well over 100 yards." With a range of 10 for Dan that comes out to 10 yards per hex.

I've always felt the vertical scale is different than the horizontal scale.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I tend to think it ranges from 5 to 10 feet.

Are you considering the entire hex piece or just the raised portion of the hex piece (the green area on a grass tile)? Just curious.

Newb
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
I selected approx. 10 feet. I think it is either that or less.

Just like you however, I don't think it really matters.

Bannister

PS. Reaper

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:36 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntCompute
From Dan's bio, "Dan always brought down the big game, often making his shots from well over 100 yards." With a range of 10 for Dan that comes out to 10 yards per hex.
Quoting the Bios? that's cheating!
I also voted for 10 yards. I think that when melee figures fight, they are sorta at the edge of their hexes. I also like to think Syvvaris can shoot over 40 feet.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker
I'd say 5 feet or less, but now that I think about it I'm probobly wrong.

Never negotiate the truth. - Serj Tankian

Trade List: Please contact with offers. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ostcount=10010
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
i say probably somewhere around fifty yards. idk why, it just seems right to me. I voted for 100 because 50 wasnt a choice
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Here's my reasoning for everything:

I imagine a hex being at least 5 feet across, and maybe a foot and some odd inches high. A reason a figure can only shoot accurately up to maybe 50 feet is because Valhalla is a much bigger planet than Earth is, or perhaps the atmospher is thicker, so it would decrease the effectiveness of projectiles at longer ranges. The gravity would also be the reason why a figure could die from falling 5 feet onto the ground, and not being able to jump across gaps in hexes. (minus like the monks... but whatever)
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
Maybe the next poll should be how long a turn lasts, so we can see just how fast syvvaris reloads, or how slow the zettian guards really move.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Aranas has disabled reputation
I think it needs to be 5 feet wide. No more than 10. If they were larger, how could you explain a passing swipe from a swordman in the middle of a 10 yards hex!

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion