Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:45 AM

MoonBlade Woo who?
Noob Army, What is best buy?

I have SotM, RotV and "Heroes of Nostralund." I need to build a 550 point army. I plan on buying 2 more small sets. Which sets should I get?

Last edited by MoonBlade; September 15th, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Grammer Nazi's
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM

falls78 is surprisingly tart
Re: Noob Army, What is best buy?

Considering you have access to almost only uniques i would suggest picking up two sets of roborats which will be available again in about a month.

If you can pick 2 of those up

Rats x2 80
Major Q-10 150
Sonlen 160
Marro Warriors 50
Krav Maga Agents 100

This comes to 540 but it is a solid rats and range combo.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:55 AM

MoonBlade Woo who?

Do you have more info on the rats? I have looked all over with no luck. No Book of Rats or Roborats.
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM

falls78 is surprisingly tart

"Rats" are the nickname for the Deathreavers
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:49 AM

MoonBlade Woo who?

Ah, see I told you I was a noob
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

They are some of the greatest figures in the game. I may pick up either 2-3 more of them when they come out. Another good buy would probably be the Soldiers and Wolves packs if you can find it. 2 is pretty decent but 3 would do extremely well. Or if you just play casually, you can pick up the Wave 9 Heroes that just came out, then the Wave 10 heroes that come out in about a month.
Good Luck!

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBlade View Post
Ah, see I told you I was a noob
OR we could razz falls78 for using slang with a newbie.

Deathreavers would be a great choice, 4th Mass would be a good one to, and available right now, but I'm not sure how to build an army with your figures and 4th mass. To get an idea which units to pick you might want to peruse the Heroscape Power Rankings. You MUST get commons if you want to be competitive, and 3 is really better than 2. Have fun!
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby!

Hello MoonBlade and welcome to the World of Heroscape. I would have to say I would wait for wave 10 to come out. I would pick up the package containing the Onyx Vipers, and the package containing the repaints of the Obsidian Guards and the Dzu-Teh. Then wait and Pick up Master set 3 in Feb. If you can.

Second I read your first post in this thread. I would recommend you proof read before you post. It is important here you use proper grammar. I have been hearing this often from the Site Supporters and Admin so I would like to give you fair warning. EX: When writing you need to build an army you should just state " I'm looking to build a 550pt army", " Can anyone recommend any specific sets to add to my collection that could help." I hope you do not take offense to this as I am only trying to help. I hate to see new people to the site being criticized so please for the future proof read before posting.

Again Welcome to the site and to the World of Heroscape.

Born of Two Signs / Also Might have Two Sides
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Although it's a bit dated, someone recently bumped my Cheap, but effective armies thread.

No matter what you do, don't make the mistake of playing 1x commons.

With what you own, I might actually suggest getting 2x Knights of Weston /swog.

Something like this might do okay:

2x Knights of Weston 140
Alastair MacDirk 250
Finn the Viking 330
Raelin (original) 410
Krav Maga Agents 510
Bugger... 40 pts. left

Or perhaps 2x Heavy Gruts and Shades (which is admittedly a very tough pack to find right now)

2x Heavy Gruts 140
Grimnak 260
Raelin 340
Major Q10 490
Marro Warriors 540

If you can get your hands on the large hero pack with Nilfheim, Major Q9, Braxas, Jotun, and Theracus in it, you can get a lot of competitive (and fun) mileage out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; September 15th, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I like the 2x Warriors and Soulborgs idea to get your hands on some Deathreavers. At 540, I like:

Major Q10 - 150
Krav Maga Agents - 250
Airborne Elite - 360
Syvarris - 460
Deathreavers x2 - 540

for the record, without any commons I also like:

Major Q10 - 150
Raelin - 230
Sonlen - 390
Krav Maga Agents - 490
Marro Warriors - 540

Just remember to keep Q10, Raelin and Sonlen in a little pod so that Sonlen can reach everyone with Dragon Heal when you give him a turn.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

My suggestion for competitive master set armies is to start with TKN and grubs as your base. From there, throw in some of the solid unique ranged figures from the master sets, and possibly Raelin, and you're in pretty good shape. At 550... let's see...

220 Tor-Kul-Na
60 Marrden Nagrubs x2
150 Major Q10
110 Airborne Elite

That's a competitive army in just about any setting.

EDIT: if you're up for a little bit more difficult order marker management, you could take Q10 out and put in Krav Maga agents and Marro Warriors.

If you can borrow a third set of Nagrubs from someone, you can make an even better army, such as:

220 Tor-Kul-Na
90 Marrden Nagrubs x3
80 Raelin RotV
50 Marro Warriors
110 Airborne Elite
550, 20 hexes

But to answer the original question: based on what you have, if you're going to buy two small expansions, warriors&soulborgs x2 is the way to go.

Last edited by dok; September 15th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM

MoonBlade Woo who?

"Heros of Barrenspur" has been added to my collection with the help of a friend, thanks. I still plan on adding two more sets.

Thanx for your replies to this point.

Last edited by MoonBlade; September 15th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion