Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old November 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by marro_master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyhedwig

I understand that the way to win with orcs is to outnumber your opponet.
yeah that is true, but never use orcs when your opponent has multi hitters, like Q9 and Q10,
That's what Krug is for. (Also, those multi-hitters need to kill a lot of Orcs to get back their points.)

Quote:
or someone with counterstrike, or both (kameon awa),
Arrow Gruts have Disengage- there is no reason for them to ever be affected by counterstrike.

Quote:
for their defence wil not save them from anything, it is just 1. now back to arrow gruts, i really only use these for bonding, if they have the swog rider, well he dies way to quikly.
With height, which is easy to acquire with a move value of 6, and a Swog Rider, they have 3 defense. Toss Raelin in there, and you've got 5. And they're still pretty cheap. I like them better than the marro, perhaps even the Stingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM

ares834 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyhedwig

I understand that the way to win with orcs is to outnumber your opponet.
yeah that is true, but never use orcs when your opponent has multi hitters, like Q9 and Q10, or someone with counterstrike, or both (kameon awa), for their defence wil not save them from anything, it is just 1. now back to arrow gruts, i really only use these for bonding, if they have the swog rider, well he dies way to quikly. but they are good swarmers, with just a few points, you can have quite a few, but like i said before, just watch out for multi hitters.
Worse than all those is deathwalker 8000. He can mow down tons of your orcs if your not carefull. And as Jexiv said that is what krug is for.
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
If you're really crazy, you can get 6 Swogs around an arrow grut if you put them in a radial pattern- that would give that one arrow grut 6 defense and attack.

However, I very rarely put more than 1 next to my Arrow Gruts, because I try to keep most of them out of range of enemy units until I want to use them. Losing 2-3 Swog Riders in one turn really hurts.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Doey08 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: The Book of Arrow Gruts

Army Idea:

Krug (120) (2 spaces)
Swog Rider x7 (175) (14 spaces)
Arrow Gruts x6 (200) (18 spaces)

Total: 495 points, 34 spaces

Get you're AG's and SR's in position, then send out hard hits After that goes down, (if it does) then send Krug to clean up

Knights, Cavalry, Minutemen-What's better than that?
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doey08 View Post
Army Idea:

Krug (120) (2 spaces)
Swog Rider x7 (175) (14 spaces)
Arrow Gruts x6 (200) (18 spaces)

Total: 495 points, 34 spaces

Get you're AG's and SR's in position, then send out hard hits After that goes down, (if it does) then send Krug to clean up
It's a good concept, however your math is wrong (6 sets of Arrow Gruts @ 40ea. is 240, not 200), and the amount of spaces it would take up is far too many. The limit for a competitive 500 point battle is usually 24 points. It would be better to throw in either Mimring, or another strong hitter. Some armies I have come up with are:

Arrow Gruts x3 - 120
Krug - 240
Mimring - 390
Swog Riders x4 - 490
Isamu - 500
Starting Zone Spaces - 22

Three beasts to choose from, and plenty of Arrow Gruts and Swog Riders. Should be a decent army.

or

Cyprien - 150
Sonya - 195
Arrow Gruts x2 - 275
Krug - 395
Swog Riders x4 - 495
Starting Zone Spaces - 18

Plenty of Swog Riders to go around, however only two sets of Arrow Gruts may be a problem. You would want to get Cyprien and Krug in the front as fast as possible, and shoot from range with the support of your Swog Riders.

Last edited by Gomolka; May 28th, 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Pointing out the obvious is fun.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

I almost never draft the swogs with arrow gruts. If you can avoid an odd point differential it doesn't make much sense to add a swog to an orc army. The swogs die fast and when you lose one, you lose 25 points and any bonuses they might offer and feel like a heel.

The arrow gruts are awesome -- sure a defense of 1 really sucks, but that is often why they are almost never targeted. They tend to last in battle because no one shoots at them thinking they are harmless.

Sure they drop like flies when Q9 Quiggies them, but while he's plugging away at 4 or 5 of the arrow gruts, you just smile because he's wasted an order marker wiping out only 40-60 points of figures. Meanwhile you can move in Krug to engage Q9 while you pelt him with the other 4 or 5 gruts who just gained height.

The orcs' maneuverablility is just awesome. Even the heavy gruts can swing out of harm's way and up a small bump in the terrain to gain +1 attack and +1 def. The arrow gruts are effective at this (which is why counterstrike usually isn't an issue and you have to be pretty creative with Q9 or DW8000 to get everyone in range and LOS to take more than a couple of 'em out).

The Arrow Gruts have exceptionally cool sculpts too, with three different poses that when mixed together look like a fast wild enemy. They are almost never disappointing to play unless you use them as a filler unit and draft only one squad. 120 points of gruts without swogs is a great addition to any army. 240 points with Krug makes them effective at killing almost any enemy (especially Q9) worth their points or more.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would point out at this point in the discussion that Swogs can be used very effectively as "missles" independently of all other squads. Their movement of 8, their double base, and their disengage ability makes them hard to stop and quick to close ground. I've seen many a Krav unit go down to the Swoggies 3 attack dice when the kitty gained adjacency.

*markwars double caresses his 12 sets of Blade and Arrow Gruts*

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Whoops, wrong thread. Thought I was posting in the Book of Heavy Gruts. I'll think up something profound to say about the Arrow Gruts later, so... watch this space.
How about "remember folks - all it takes to kill a Deathwalker is a single skull and a little luck".

~Aldin, who has never managed to use Arrow Gruts well

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Whoops, wrong thread. Thought I was posting in the Book of Heavy Gruts. I'll think up something profound to say about the Arrow Gruts later, so... watch this space.
How about "remember folks - all it takes to kill a Deathwalker is a single skull and a little luck".

I really like what the Arrow Gruts bring to the table: low cost, movement superior to many ranged squads that will run you triple their price, and bonding with Krug and Mimring. What I don't like are the Swog Riders and their habit of constantly getting assassinated. I can't make Arrow Gruts work with just the two Swogs I own. I just bought a third Knights & Swog, maybe that'll help enough.
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:

I really like what the Arrow Gruts bring to the table: low cost, movement superior to many ranged squads that will run you triple their price, and bonding with Krug and Mimring. What I don't like are the Swog Riders and their habit of constantly getting assassinated. I can't make Arrow Gruts work with just the two Swogs I own. I just bought a third Knights & Swog, maybe that'll help enough.
I can't get them to work really well for me either, but I think it's my style of play. I normally don't play very well with "take up shop" armies - that is, armies that look to cluster together in a certain spot on the map and wait for reinforcements. I like to charge in, guns blazing, and not wait around for mistakes or to get positioning. The Arrow Gruts are fast, but they have to wait for Swogs (usually multiple) before they're ready to go in, and then they have to get Krug or Mimring going with them.

The same principle makes me a bad 4th Mass player, and not very good with the Vydar ranged pod either. Give me some 10th Foot, or Rats, or Minions that can just charge.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've never played 2 squads of Arrow Gruts with less than 4 swogs. I find they get targetted before the actual gruts so I need more. And if you manged to keep the front swogs alive, theres nothing better than a squad of arrow gruts on elevation boosted by multiple swogs.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

I know it can be said of everything, but Raelin definitely helps the swogs and arrow gruts stick around more.

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units