Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old December 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Old December 28th, 2006, 03:49 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
i had sam adams the other day and was not too impressed with it, altho i'm not a beer kind of guy anyway. don't have the matured beer pallet yet i guess. and just in case ur wondering , i am 21, lol.
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Sam Adams' Scotch Ale is one of my favorites, actually.
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
I'm planning a tourney on May 26th here in Eugene and I've got a question for all you pros out there.

How do you cycle maps? Is there a logical way to decide who plays on what map next? Something obvious that I'm not seeing? I've thought about it a bit but I've yet to come up with anything that isn't willy-nilly random assignment.
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
I'm planning a tourney on May 26th here in Eugene and I've got a question for all you pros out there.

How do you cycle maps? Is there a logical way to decide who plays on what map next? Something obvious that I'm not seeing? I've thought about it a bit but I've yet to come up with anything that isn't willy-nilly random assignment.
In our Iowa/Minnesota Tournaments we have a spot on our score card that you fill in which map you have played on. These cards are all gathered each round and are sorted in order by total points ( 3 points for a win, 2 for tie ,1 for a loss) and each group of cards that share the same point value is further subdived by point differental ( points left on the board or if both parties have points on the board the difference between the winner and loser - per HS rule book ). The Tournament Director then just takes the top two cards an looks at which maps each card has played on and then puts them on a new map or one neither has played much. Then he takes the next two cards ,does this processes all over again, and continues until all cards have a table/map. To my knowledge this has worked well and I have not heard any complaints. Simple - fairly easy to accomplish with not much effort or thought. I am sure everyone played on each map at least once, and hopefully no one more than twice on any of the other maps.

Good luck in your upcoming tourney - hope all runs smoothly & have fun.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Thanks for the info, Codeman!

Your tournaments are pretty much what I want to base mine after. I've even saved that picture of your registration card from some old thread. Anyway, that method sounds fine to me.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Marduk has disabled reputation
Having now run my first tournament, I have a few things to add.

In order to avoid having people play on the same map, I used a large number of different battlefields - and while there were setup snags, this did work well. However, most of my pre-tournament setup time at the site was spent pulling out the terrain needed to build each given map. In two hours I completed five and a half maps - of that two hours, about 50 minutes was actual construction time. I think having the terrain already grouped by map would let me build maps at least twice as fast. In the future I will have a bag for each map I plan to use, containing the all necessary terrain to build that map.

In the event you cannot complete all the maps in time by yourself, you will find people quite willing to help out with setup. That does not work so well when you are working from a single computer with the maps... I was going to print out the build directions for each map still needing construction the night before the event. Naturally my printer chose that time to run out of ink in a rather messy manner. So be sure to print the directions days or weeks in advance so you have time to fix your printer if something goes wrong. (I find that black-and-white printing is not good enough to differentiate most terrain types, so color was a must.)

Something I thought of the night before the tournament was including any relevant terrain information on the map's name tag. I only had time to laminate one of them, but now I have it available for whenever I use that map. As I select maps for my own personal list of good tournament maps, I will make sure to do the same thing for each one. I am waiting for feedback on the notion, but it saves looking up the terrain rules (like road bonus movement or the effects of slippery ice) if you are a bit fuzzy on them. When I get color printing capability back again, I will include a picture on the front with start zones and object (tree, ruin, etc.) placement and the build directions on the back.

Related to having a picture with start zones and such on the page, I have had mixed luck with using dry erase markers. Some of the marks came off easily with a wipe of my thumb, others needed a little work, and still others would not come off at all. I have no doubt that using any kind of real cleaning technique will do the trick, but having a picture would let you avoid the hassle. If you use the map multiple times, I think it would be well worth the effort.

Something I plan to do next time is ask people to PM me with their planned army a little ahead of time (after my own army design is finalized, certainly) so I can save time by not recording these things at the event. The person would not be locked in to the army they sent, but if they used that one sign in would only be a matter of giving their name and saying they are using the units they listed earlier.

I was going to use Codeman's Point Differential system as a tie-breaker after both win-loss recirds and strength of schedule; however, with all the delays getting set up I did not take the time to remind people of that and explain what they needed to do. I had thought about bringing my printer to print out record sheets for it, but I was already running late and carrying a lot of things. If by bringing the terrain in map-specific bags/boxes I can save enough time and reduce my cargo hauling, it might be worthwhile. Especially if some of them can be done ahead of time with players giving me a list of their planned force.

Oh yes - I ran one-on-one matches and then decided the final four positions through a free-for-all fight of the top four after the one-on-one games were through. Prizes were picked in order from first place on down after this final fight. The four-player final match seemed to be well-received, though it did point up a potential problem with doing things that way. If the other players do not want to stick around and play "just for fun" games while the final match is being played, how will they pick their prizes? And if I allow the lower-ranking players to pick their prizes before the final match completes, the top players are likely to miss out on their preferred picks.

For a solution, I am thinking I will separate four good prizes to be extra stuff for the top winners, and let everyone else pick from the rest in rank order as soon as the one-on-one matches are done with. For instance, the store donated a Nerak - a good candidate for a top-tier prize. Likewise the $20 gift certificate for the store, and perhaps one or two of the flagbearers that were up for grabs. A piece of CupidsArt custom terrain, when available, a dice tower, or some other special and sought-after prize would also be a good choice for the final four prize pool.

That leaves players who do not want to (or cannot) stay around for the final match free to leave without missing out on their prize. If they skip out earlier, that is different... nothing much to be done about that in most cases.

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Marduk,

Looks like you learned a lot from running that tourney...I'll be in the same boat in a week.

I thought of that problem with the top four (since we are planning a similar 4 player free for all at the end), and here's what we are going to do in Eugene. After the four normal games, everyone will choose their prizes from the top down, including the top 4. After the top 4 have chosen their prizes, they start their final free-for-all. The winner of that game will get a trophy and perhaps another prize. So, it's more for fun and bragging rights, and that way people can leave after their fourth game if they need to.
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I think we are dispensing with the final rounds and just going with swiss rounds for the whole tourney. This keeps everyone in it 'til the end.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
In the two Dallas tournies that I have attended, with the high and massive quality and quantity of things on the prize tables (almost a competition in and of itself), those who left early, knowing that most people would get two choices for prizes (down the list and then back up), simply lost out. Not many left early, either. And everyone who stayed had fun the whole time anyway.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I think we are dispensing with the final rounds and just going with swiss rounds for the whole tourney. This keeps everyone in it 'til the end.
I think that will be a worthwhile move that all should like. All of our Iowa & Minnesota tournaments have been straight Swiss format ( rounds continue until you have one undefeated player left ). Everyone gets a lot of games in, and I believe people have enjoyed that format.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Marduk has disabled reputation
I really liked having a four-player fight. I am toying now with the idea of ending up with all four-player fights to decide positions 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, and so on. I would design a double-size map from terrain used for the two maps at each table, which would probably require care in selecting which maps went together, but I could do it. Then I can put the players to work tearing down the two maps and building the new. I would have to consider the cases of needing a three-player or five-player design just in case. It might end up that the bottom two places would still fight on a two-player map; though I could have two five-player designs to avoid that.

I will have to poll people on what they thought of the four-player final (everyone in it seemed to like it, and there were people watching instead of playing their own games) and how they would like all four-player games to finish - the main thing is to have fun, after all.

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events