Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:25 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kickstarter: What game(s) are you currently Kickstarting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Got Gloomhaven today in the mail. Big freakin' box. Over 21lbs!

Ugh you're killing me Hahma, my copy will be arriving to my house in CT while I'm out here in Chicago for college!

And @Porkins , $120 is MSRP. There were only about 10000 copies printed altogether IIRC, so there won't be too many for each CSI, MM, Amazon, and others to sell. I'd be looking to find one quickly if you're interested, otherwise you'll probably have to wait for the second print run Kickstarter.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:37 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Got Gloomhaven today in the mail. Big freakin' box. Over 21lbs!

Ugh you're killing me Hahma, my copy will be arriving to my house in CT while I'm out here in Chicago for college!

And @Porkins , $120 is MSRP. There were only about 10000 copies printed altogether IIRC, so there won't be too many for each CSI, MM, Amazon, and others to sell. I'd be looking to find one quickly if you're interested, otherwise you'll probably have to wait for the second print run Kickstarter.
Get ready for some punching OrcElfArmyOne! Tons of tokens and monster standees and map tiles. About 1,000 or so cards to unwrap and go through tomorrow

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:46 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Im patiently waiting for rum and bones 2nd tide. @Yodaking did you get your core box yet?
No. I just happened to be checking my e-mail today and saw a message from them that said they just managed to beat the Chinese New Year. So now everything is now finished, packed, and on a ship heading to the US. Based on other kickstarter experiences I would guess another month before the ships arrives, the cargo clears customs, then it all gets sorted and sent out to us.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:33 AM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Diplomacy was my last great board gaming passion before Heroscape. This has my interest, though I don't see it ever getting to the table. I'm lucky to get 2 - though it's a rotating 2 - when I get to play at all.

I think @quozl comes from a Diplomacy background, too. Q, have you seen this?
I also played a ton of Diplomacy. My high school friends and I rotated through some phases with favorite games. Diplomacy, Axis and Allies, and Heroscape all had their turns. Haven't played Diplomacy in years....really want to now after thinking about it. Maybe I'll join in one of those online games somewhere although that's never the same. Ah well.

I've never kickstarted but my boyfriend has and does....I might get him to back this for me. But I'll echo quozl stating that I'd like to see the rulebook though. If Risk was to Blood Rage what Diplomacy is supposed to be for Risking Sun....well Blood Rage is barely at all Risk in my opinion so I'm not sure how much Diplomacy will be shining through in this one.

Quote:

Get ready for some punching OrcElfArmyOne! Tons of tokens and monster standees and map tiles. About 1,000 or so cards to unwrap and go through tomorrow

Ugh....I actually really enjoy punching out tons of tokens and tiles. I really enjoy the tactile nature of board gaming and the more bits and stuff actually does slightly make games more interesting for me. I hadn't had much interest in Gloomhaven, but I'm really tempted now. But I'll probably wait for more reviews to come in. I personally prefer to wait for reviews on most things before buying, which is part of the reason I rarely kickstart games. There are so many great games I still don't have and have never tried, I'm not sure I like the idea of getting a game and gambling that it will be good. (Especially since I did this with Seafall and have ended up disappointed.)

Still, you've caused me to throw this on my BGG wishlist to pay closer attention to. I too will be interested in hearing your thoughts on it, particularly in comparison to Pandemic Legacy. (As if I got Gloomhaven it probably mostly would be for my group of Pandemic Legacy players to get together for another campaign/legacy type game).

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:54 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

There was an inner circle of online PBEM Diplomacy players who did it right. If you're seriously interested, I can make inquiries to see how you might find a good game.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:06 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post

Quote:

Ugh....I actually really enjoy punching out tons of tokens and tiles. I really enjoy the tactile nature of board gaming and the more bits and stuff actually does slightly make games more interesting for me. I hadn't had much interest in Gloomhaven, but I'm really tempted now. But I'll probably wait for more reviews to come in. I personally prefer to wait for reviews on most things before buying, which is part of the reason I rarely kickstart games. There are so many great games I still don't have and have never tried, I'm not sure I like the idea of getting a game and gambling that it will be good. (Especially since I did this with Seafall and have ended up disappointed.)

Still, you've caused me to throw this on my BGG wishlist to pay closer attention to. I too will be interested in hearing your thoughts on it, particularly in comparison to Pandemic Legacy. (As if I got Gloomhaven it probably mostly would be for my group of Pandemic Legacy players to get together for another campaign/legacy type game).
Joel Eddy (eekamouse) review

Man vs. Meeple preview

Man vs. Meeple review part 1

Man vs. Meeple part 2

With regards to how it compares to Pandemic Legacy, I can only say from what I know without playing Gloomhaven yet, just reading the rules, is that they are different for sure. While you will have some surprises here and there with a few envelopes and with I believe 11 (non-starting 6) character tuck boxes that are sealed, you don't rip cards up. You will put stickers on the board however, but it's world building in that the map is a grid (faintly) and when you travel to a location for a scenario, you place the location sticker on the map according to the coordinates. So if you have ever played Skyrim or Fallout, and start out with a blank world view map, you know that after you discover locations, the world view map gets more full of those locations.

It's a dungeon crawl campaign, but your characters are mercenaries and don't all have the same goals. Each character will have a career goal that once achieved will cause them to retire, and that's when you will get to unlock one of the 11 extra character boxes and then start playing that character. I believe it takes 12 to 15 scenarios before you will likely be retiring a character. You also go into each scenario with a battle goal card, chosen between 2 random drawn. So if you achieve that goal during the scenario, you get some bonus. But these goals are secret from other players. This is where it reminds me of Dead of Winter, for while there is no traitor in this game, you may do certain things to achieve your goal that may not be the best for the party. You don't talk exactly what you are going to do that turn, you may say that you are going to try to attack such monster later in the round, but since you choose 2 action cards to play and each has an initiative number on it, you have to choose one to be your lead card for initiative purposes. You can't say what initiative number you are going to play, so it adds to the tension of maybe things aren't going to go in the order you want.

Character levels up and you can add perks to the character sheet, buff certain cards etc. There are no dice, but you know what your attack value is from the attack on the card you play, plus any weapon you carry. But then you also draw a battle modifier card from your personal deck and it can be -1 or 0 or +1 or +2 or give you an additional effect like a push etc. So you don't always know what the final tally of your attack will be until you draw that card.

It's a euro style game in mechanics. Hand management for sure. You get to choose out of a certain pool of cards specific to your character to bring to the scenario, based on what level they are. You must play 2 cards a turn, unless you long rest. But when you play cards, they will get discarded or the more powerful ones will get removed from the game for that scenario. Characters might start with 8 to 11 cards, depending on the class. So you have to be very careful what cards you play and when. You can take a short rest to recover discarded cards, but you will permanently (for that scenario) lose one of those cards, and you can only rest if you have more than one card in the discard pile. So your options get fewer as the scenario goes on. If you ever run out of cards, then you are exhausted and are out of the rest of the scenario.

Tons more, as there is an elemental track to keep track of certain elements that interact with powers. The elements can be strong, waning or inate.

That's just scratching the surface

Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:32 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
There was an inner circle of online PBEM Diplomacy players who did it right. If you're seriously interested, I can make inquiries to see how you might find a good game.
A game of all Heroscapers would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:58 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Interesting. We'd need 7, or an agreement to use one of the alternate maps with fewer. This conversation should probably be moved to PMs, or its own thread.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:14 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

(copying from the front page):
-----
Heroscape lead designer, Craig Van Ness' new game, Shifting Realms, just launched on Kickstarter.

It is the first game from his new company, now that he's designing independent of Hasbro. I just backed the game and if you buy a copy too, PM me, and we'll set you up with a year of site supporter status here at Heroscapers (or extend your status if you already are a site supporter).

So have a look at the Kickstarter page, and if you like what you see, show some support for Father Heroscape!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

And you can check out The New York City Gang of Four thread in General Discussion, describing its play a bit when Jeff Van Ness dropped by recently to demo it for us. I also mention this on boardgamegeek, in the game's only discussion thread so far.
Old February 16th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Black Orchestra 2nd Ed is on KS now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ra/description

1st Ed. is sold out everywhere except for some high priced copies on the secondary market. 2nd Ed. has wooden components (instead of plastic), extra interrogation cards and an updated rule book.

Newb.
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
Black Orchestra 2nd Ed is on KS now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ra/description

1st Ed. is sold out everywhere except for some high priced copies on the secondary market. 2nd Ed. has wooden components (instead of plastic), extra interrogation cards and an updated rule book.

Newb.
A buddy of mine git 1st edition and I got to try it. It was really cool. We all enjoyed it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games