Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old January 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Weight Training

This thread is for anything involving weight lifting and training. Discussing your personal stats, helping others with questions (if you know the answer to them), and such are all highly encouraged.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Location: Grut with the other Orcs ready to eat salted Baby preztels
BRUNAK has disabled reputation
The main three lifts I do (thanks to weights wich just ended ) I do
1:Squats
2:Benchpress
3:Power Cleans

BRUNAK is Nerak in the PLATINUM CAVE!
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
While squats, bench presses and power cleans are all good lifts, take some time working your back. Rows or lat pulls are good. I've seen way too many knuckle-dragging Neanderthal types that only do bench presses. They look ridiculously stupid because of their muscle development in front and nothing in back.
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Location: Grut with the other Orcs ready to eat salted Baby preztels
BRUNAK has disabled reputation
I do back-extensions.

BRUNAK is Nerak in the PLATINUM CAVE!
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
What are "power-cleans?"

I'm not exactly strong, but by no means am I weak. I've gotten a LOT stronger since September when I got my new job in a garage; who knew lifting tires could build so much muscle? I'm still probably the weakest in the shop, and I'd like to tone my body (not uber-built, but defined muscles). I have a weight bench, which I am moving into my bedroom in a few day's time. Currently, (whenever I'm motivated enough to lift), I'm benching 70 lbs, curling 10/arm (I can do 20, but I don't have any dumbbells that big).

I'm thinking that when I get the bench in my room, I'll be more inclined to use it because it'll be in the room I spend most of my free time in, and when I do use it, here's my intended routine:

(1 set = 15 reps, unless noted otherwise)

1 set bench press at 70
1 set 4-count push-ups
1 set 4-count flutter kicks
1 set 4-count crunches
1 set (20 reps) arm curling at 10 (until I get heavier dumbbells)
1 set push-ups
1 set 4-count flutter kicks
1 set 4-count crunches

There's a bit more to it, but I don't know what the particular exercises are called... I know I want to get some focus on wrist strength, leg strength, and triceps/forearm strength.

What kind of exercises do you suggest for the back, Agent Minivann?
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM

cowmaster13 Woo who?
3 things to know about weight lifting.
squat
bench
dead lift

Trust me it works. If you don't think so me look up lyne bashoven(probably spelled wrong
)

My dad and I work out with her. she is (no joke) The best women powerlifter in the world.

Yes I play too many card games!

Heroscape strategy puzzles, play them.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=16494
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
Wait for the funny till the end.

I do the machine where I sit and push the one part with my feet.
Then I do the machine when I push up the bar to lift the stack of heavy plates.
Then I walk on the Walking Machine.
Then I'll probably drink a free cup of water.

Then I'll go back to my hotel room, having gotten my "money's worth" of the "free" workout room offered to me for the duration of my stay.

Then I usually don't work out again until I stay in another hotel.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Six months ago I weighed in at 279 lbs. My cholesterol was at 241. My blood pressure was 138/88. My doctor told me to get serious or start looking for medications to would keep those levels in check. I decided to see what I could do about.

My plan was simple.

1. Get 8 hours of sleep each night.

2. Drink at least 8 large glasses of water each day.

3. Track my foods using an online calorie counter, trying to lower my calories and my fat intake.

4. Exercise every 12 hours...I start the day with an hour long walk/run cardio session and finish the work day with a 45 minute strength training regime.

And do you know what? It worked. I'm down 74 pounds as of today. I feel fantastic and my health has improved beyond anything I expected. My cholesterol is at 149 now, and my blood pressure sits at 106/64. Not only do I not have to take any sort of medications I've also solved my back problems, my foot problems, and my snoring problems. The only problem I really have these days is finding a way to keep my pants from falling off of me.

What I do is eat about 1700 calories a day in smaller 300-400 calorie increments. I walk/run 4.5 to 6 miles in one hour every morning. And I do a series of lunges, squats, crunches and pushups every evening. Simple stuff. Every one at work and in my extended family has asked me "what are you doing?" and the answers are really simple. Proper sleep, hydration, diet, and exercise are the keys. If you get all four of those things lined up you can drop serious amounts of weight in a short period of time. It's amazing.

Old January 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
I just lost 50+ pounds with diet and exercise (http://members.nutrisystem.com/Commu...-37-lbs--.aspx) . I chose weightlifting for exercise. I am 41 and I started last year. Everything went great until I overdid it. I have had tendonitis in both elbows for over 6 months now. I just visited the sports med. Dr. last week. He has given me permission to use 10% of the weight I was using and 10% of the reps.

Maybe this is no big deal for you young bucks (and does), but please be careful if you are not working under the oversight of a trainer. I hope to be able to start "really" lifting in a few more months. Pain sucks.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Six months ago I weighed in at 279 lbs. My cholesterol was at 241. My blood pressure was 138/88. My doctor told me to get serious or start looking for medications to would keep those levels in check. I decided to see what I could do about.

My plan was simple.

1. Get 8 hours of sleep each night.

2. Drink at least 8 large glasses of water each day.

3. Track my foods using an online calorie counter, trying to lower my calories and my fat intake.

4. Exercise every 12 hours...I start the day with an hour long walk/run cardio session and finish the work day with a 45 minute strength training regime.

And do you know what? It worked. I'm down 74 pounds as of today. I feel fantastic and my health has improved beyond anything I expected. My cholesterol is at 149 now, and my blood pressure sits at 106/64. Not only do I not have to take any sort of medications I've also solved my back problems, my foot problems, and my snoring problems. The only problem I really have these days is finding a way to keep my pants from falling off of me.

What I do is eat about 1700 calories a day in smaller 300-400 calorie increments. I walk/run 4.5 to 6 miles in one hour every morning. And I do a series of lunges, squats, crunches and pushups every evening. Simple stuff. Every one at work and in my extended family has asked me "what are you doing?" and the answers are really simple. Proper sleep, hydration, diet, and exercise are the keys. If you get all four of those things lined up you can drop serious amounts of weight in a short period of time. It's amazing.

I thought it said you now wayed 74 pounds. I was like.....WTF. Good for you, losing weight and staying healthy. I need to do that also. Im going to start working out Febuary 1st.

My Signature
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Not being a professional my knowledge is limited, but the best piece of advice I was given as far as weight training goes is to stay away from weight machines as much a possible. They do too much of the work for you and though you may put the pin in at 100lbs, you're not actually pushing that much weight due to the help the machine gives.

Free weights are the way to go, not only are you truly pushing the weight you put on the bar, but they also promote 'core' strength and balance.

A good example is squats, the machine equivalent is the leg press. When doing leg presses all you're doing is pushing up and down with the legs, where with squats, not only are you doing the up and down, but you also have to concentrate on keeping your feet or you'll fall right out of position.

About a year and a half ago I was fortunate to get assigned to a very good personal trainer (the free hour they give you when you sign up at the gym) and I've learned a ton. I went from 198lbs (at 5'11'' that's pretty chunky) and barely able to do 5 push-ups then to 172lbs and having 50 push-ups just be part of my warm-up routine now.
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Here's an article that may help some people.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/rock...at-on-its-own/

Once I finish building the exercise room in the basement, I hope to get motivated enough to use our Boflex and Eliptical again.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General