Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old June 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
White Wyrmling Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: White Wyrmling Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Would you ever use a Wyrmling with the big dragon it goes with?

Ooooh, I just envisioned building some scenarios involving attacking a dragon's lair or nest. Maybe the objective is to take a dragon's treasure or destroy eggs or something, but one side plays as an army and the other plays as a big dragon and a bunch of little ones. Maybe even incorporate some kind of time thing for the Wyrmlings to come...

Nilfheim's Lair
The attacking player has two rounds to defeat Nilfheim and get to the nest (represtented by glyph(s) of Brandar) to destroy the eggs. If they do not accomplish their task in time, the eggs hatch and x amount of wyrmlings are born!! The attacking player must now defeat all dragons, big and small, in order to win!!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:03 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

The white wyrmling seems like the Best of the 4
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:47 PM

6 White Wyrmlings or Nilfheim?

Same question as with the others.

I'm going with Nilfheim. In this case, I think the difference between the watered down version and the real thing is too great. Nilfheim is very effective, where I'm unsure of the White Wyrmlings.

Jugger

Old June 12th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
6 White Wyrmlings or Nilfheim?

Same question as with the others.

I'm going with Nilfheim. In this case, I think the difference between the watered down version and the real thing is too great. Nilfheim is very effective, where I'm unsure of the White Wyrmlings.
The real question is reliability. Nielfhiem is all about damage penetration. Three solid 4 die special attack and a fearsome 6 die normal fill a very different offensive measure than what these little guys are capable of. Although the new dragons are little versions of the originals they fill a very different role during gameplay and should not be considered comparable in terms of army construction.
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
The real question is reliability.
I wouldn't even call it reliability, just what you need them to do.

Quote:
Nilfhiem is all about damage penetration. Three solid 4 die special attack and a fearsome 6 die normal fill a very different offensive measure than what these little guys are capable of.
Indeed. If you aren't doing tons of damage with Nilfheim you are definitely doing something wrong.

Quote:
Although the new dragons are little versions of the originals they fill a very different role during gameplay and should not be considered comparable in terms of army construction.
Exactly.

Nilfheim - 185 pts
2 White Wyrmlings - 60 pts

Nilfheim - 3 attacks of 4 against different targets
White Wyrmlings - 4 attacks of 2, 2 of which can be against the same target

Nilfheim - 1 attack of 6
White Wyrmlings - 2 attacks of 3

White Wyrmlings are a lot of small attacks, Nilfheim is a couple monstrous attacks.

Also, something interesting to note:

6 White Wyrmlings is 180 points, the equivalent of 6 lives at 4 defense
Nilfheim is 6 lives and 4 defense at 185 points.

With a Hero you can take a hit and stay where you are, but you are susceptible to taking more than one wound per attack.

Interesting tradeoffs to be made here.
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:16 AM
The Closer

Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well the one nice thing about the WW is the 11 threat range, but with an attack of 2 is it really a threat range or just an anoying dice roll that wont do any damage? Unless they are used against weak squads I don't see these little guys being worth thier points. I don't think even mixing in the other wrymlings would help these ones. From what I see I'll have a lot of these guys for trade since I'll be getting them with the ones I'll use.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM

I basically said the same thing in the Iron Golem thread, but don't underestimate 2 attack dice. While it may seem like it's pretty weak, go play some games with the Aubrien Archers. 2 attack dice, when rolled often enough, are going to get the job done.

Jugger

Old June 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

They also have 4 defense, 6 movement and Flying to go along with those 4 attacks of 2. I think Whites are the best Wyrmlings, especially when fielded with something that can kill some heroes.

Marro Stingers x4 - 240
White Wyrmlings x9 - 510, 21 hexes

600 - Raelin + Isamu OR Stingers + Wyrmling (sit a Stinger) or WW x3
620 - Raelin + White Wyrmling
640 - ehhh - Krav + WW?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

120 points - Kaemon Awa vs. White Wyrmlings x 4 - which would you choose to field for what purpose in what army?

90 points - same question - Wyrmlings x 3 vs. the various 90 point heroes extant?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
They also have 4 defense, 6 movement and Flying to go along with those 4 attacks of 2. I think Whites are the best Wyrmlings, especially when fielded with something that can kill some heroes.

Marro Stingers x4 - 240
White Wyrmlings x9 - 510, 21 hexes

600 - Raelin + Isamu OR Stingers + Wyrmling (sit a Stinger) or WW x3
620 - Raelin + White Wyrmling
640 - ehhh - Krav + WW?
While I very much like the whites as well, I really don't see the fault in throwing some others in to handle what would otherwise be problem matchups, rather than going pure white. Reds are more efficient killers of high-defense commons, blacks are great Raelin/kyrie counters, and blues are nice against opposing large/huge figures. Even if I decided I was going to hang my hat (and my order markers) on white, I would probably put 3 or 4 other wyrmlings in there and just make the rest white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
120 points - Kaemon Awa vs. White Wyrmlings x 4 - which would you choose to field for what purpose in what army?

90 points - same question - Wyrmlings x 3 vs. the various 90 point heroes extant?
KA vs. Wyrmlingsx4 is a great debate, and I honestly don't have an answer. My feeling is that Kaemon is still probably the more reliable, versatile option, but you can definitely make arguments the other way.

Wyrmlings x3 is relatively frail, but it does things for you that no 90 point hero can, especially in the rat (and cutter!) disposal department. You better have a reliable screen to pair them with, though.

(@ 530... Gladsx3, Blastsx2, Raelin, and three red/black wyrmlings? 24 hexes of pain...)
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM

JusticeProctor Woo who?

Strategically, I think the whites are just alright, around the same as the blue. It's basically a cone instead of a chain.

I see the wyrmlings as a cheap burst fighter. They have great movement with flying. Their job is to swoop in and land a couple of good hits before being taken out. And for the price, they have great attacks tempered with the lowly status of common hero. One shot from just about anybody and they'll be out of the game, but they have the potential to do some damage before they go.

Target strong defense heroes with Black, expensive commons with Red, Target around corners with Blue, and attack the swarms with White.

Oh, and whoever posted the idea about the Mommie and Babies scenario is awesome.

Jesus Saves! ......everyone else takes full damage.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units