Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News
AotP News Sightings, official news, etc.

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:32 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
Hot new rumors for the next Major Expansion! Common Squads!

This is a crosspost from Yawgmoth, who runs the 'planeswalker-arena.board.net' Fan forum for AOTP. Yesterday he posted a new thread:

http://planeswalker-arena.boards.net...pansion-rumors

Full text Quoted below:

Quote:
So, I don't normally like rumors, but this one came to me from a juicy source.
Take with a grain of salt, or not. We'll see how accurate this source was by the time the new expansion is released. But for now, here is the word:

====================================================================== ====

It will be standalone as well as expanding the line.
This is to prevent the troubles seen during the heroscape era with trouble finding stock for wave expansions as well as stores getting stuck with unwanted expansions (unique heroes).

All squads included will be common. Wether its just squads or heroes as well isnt known. Possibly get three squads or hero types of each color to be included. (My guess is 2 squads, 1 hero for each color) Unknown if colorless squads will be included.

All included planeswalkers will be dual colored. Number included is unknown.
This is to help promote the versatility of buying multiple copies of the set.

There will be 15 cards for each color, as well as colorless spells.
There will also finally be a more concise deckbuilding rules included. Whatever that means.

New board tiles that can be used with the original base set. Unknown what they will look like.
New stand up terrain like the ruins will be included.
More heroscape tiles will be included as well.

6 glyphs. 3 of which are new.

Late fall release.

======================================================================

That's it for right now.

(Those of you who wish to share this info are welcome to. With the caveat that you link back to this original post, instead of copying and pasting this rumor. Thanks.)
[/url]
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:53 AM

GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hot new rumors for the next Major Expansion! Common Squa

That's great news.

Long time Heroscaper here--never played MtG. I'm hoping this goes the way of the heyday of Heroscape--lots of expansions and continually building up the variety of units available for each Planeswalker and lasts for years to come. I would love to see more Eldrazi--already painted mine up and they look amazing.

It would be interesting to know what kind of buzz this is game is getting and sales it's generating in order to know if WotC will continue it for long instead of killing it before there's enough variety to really enjoy like Battleship Galaxies.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:59 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Neato! I just cant wait to get more figures for magic. I think I am done trying to integrate magic with heroscape. At the very least I will use the figures from magic for custom heroscape figures. Thanks for the news.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:00 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

My experience is that their advertising hasn't been very well targeted. I'm a pretty active Magic player and an exceedingly large portion of my MTG playing friends didn't even know the game existed several months after it had been released. Game Shops got skipped over on 1st run of the core set, amazon stepped on their toes for the expansion. This has led to almost nobody playing it in Stores or really talking about it.

I'm a big fan, but I really hope they can turn the corner and get people's attention with the game. Wizards hasn't done much to hype it up on the MTG side so it's just relying on people happening to see it in Wal-Mart/Target/etc
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:10 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

It seems like they will be adding everything I want, if a bit late. I've collected the game so far mostly as a Heroscape add-on. In the Fall it will finally come into its own, with meaningful army and deck building. Then I'll try to get one or two uninterested Scapers around here back into it!

I could easily argue that this is the amount of stuff they should have included in the first place, but patience seems like it will be a virtue in this case. It does appear odd to see such a large corporation so dedicated to doing a product on the super cheap, when all other hobby trends seem to be going the other way!

But of course they are not selling to us, but to "Mr. and Mrs. America and All The Ships At Sea."
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:24 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Fall isn't going to work. This game is dying on the vine right now. Many people are critical of AotP due to the lack of content released. Other games in this vein (Battlelore, Imperial Assault, etc) are spitting out expansions like no tomorrow. The Magic universe is as large, if not larger, than the Star Wars universe. There is limitless content to be produced. It need to be now, not 8 months from now. In order to be successful, AotP needs quarterly expansion releases. Otherwise, it will be forgotten and never relevant.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:46 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I think that the game is attempting to put out a base of content before a large advertising push. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with the scale of production vs. the relatively small amount of exposure it's gotten. The game isn't supposed to be popular yet, just developing a small player base while enough content to actually deck and army build is released. That's my hope at least.

What happens with AotP at GenCon this year should be a good indicator for what the plans are for it. It wasn't even for sale at GenCon last year, despite its release date falling during the convention. I heard some rumors of AotP tournaments there, which would be really exciting. This game works much better in a competitive setting than Heroscape does, in my opinion.

It looks like expansions will come out on the same cycle that Magic does, so probably two per year. That's a fine pace for me. I'm not bored of this game yet.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:14 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

At my place where my bunch plays games, we cycle through Heroscape, Magic AOTP, and Imperial Assault, and we never get bored. Ever. Two expansions a year would be fine. That way I can afford to pick up the expansions of a couple of my favorite games, and still afford to pick up the occasional heroscape C3G, C3V, and HOSS figure that comes out.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:20 PM

GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby! GamerDad74 rolls all skulls baby!

I posited a question and included a poll over at boardgamegeek. Would love to have you guys (and gals) chime in there too. The general perspective over there seems to be this will not be long lived--unfortunately.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21910010#21910010
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:26 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDad74 View Post
I posited a question and included a poll over at boardgamegeek. Would love to have you guys (and gals) chime in there too. The general perspective over there seems to be this will not be long lived--unfortunately.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21910010#21910010
That's the general sentiment for the average gamer. They want to like AotP, but it needs more stuff. Even Heroscape fanatics like Vasel don't believe AotP will survive at this pace.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:30 PM

igelkott is surprisingly tart

It almost feels like the stuff out so far was a prerelease to whet people's appetites and to test the waters for more heroscape-like content, and then come out with the real full product in the fall. An odd marketing strategy though.

Yeah, it sounds like GENCON and ESSEN will be the real test. How much is the company going to push this game? If it's a big push then it will go big, if it's a snooze marketing campaign, then get ready to dump it.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I think that the game is attempting to put out a base of content before a large advertising push. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with the scale of production vs. the relatively small amount of exposure it's gotten. The game isn't supposed to be popular yet, just developing a small player base while enough content to actually deck and army build is released. That's my hope at least.

I'm not familiar at all with board game marketing. Is this a legit marketing model? Are there examples of it working? While I want to believe it, it seems like a strange way of going about things, and not likely to succeed.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News