Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old August 15th, 2017, 01:01 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Apocalypse: Valhalla's Darkest Hour

Chapter 3 of 3 - Finished, but with nothing afterwards.
Spoiler Alert!

That is the last of the three chapters. I've assessed the remaining drafts, and they contain:
  • V1.CP - A different opening, more akin to The Final Battleground.
  • V3.C1 - A different opening with the original theme.
  • V4.C1&C2 - Yet another opening, but this one has awesome dialogue. If I say so myself. It is followed by an unfinished chapter.
  • VR1.C1 - Unfinished. Unlikely to be posted, as it is a rewording of the actual first chapter.
  • VR2.C8a,b,9,9b,&10 - This version picks up with right when Mike enters the building to find his mother. It ends with two different versions of Carr - both before I asked myself why he should be friendly at all. There are similarities here to the actual AV, but I don't believe there was any copy&pasting involved.
Those versions will be posted as I review them. Some contain proofreading notes which need to be removed.

~TGRF.
Old August 18th, 2017, 02:37 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
V1.CP

This is a different opening to AV. I believe it was one of the earliest versions, back when I had a good idea how the plague started, but did not yet have a story to go with it.
Spoiler Alert!

~TGRF.
Old August 18th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Interesting concept and really good description. I could picture the Hive perfectly in this one. I wonder if this was still the idea for the origin in the official canon or if you changed it since then.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old August 19th, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Interesting concept and really good description. I could picture the Hive perfectly in this one. I wonder if this was still the idea for the origin in the official canon or if you changed it since then.

~TAF
I believe the design of the zombies was the same. Whether Utgar created it, I cannot remember. Given that the hives are controlling the whole operation, it was likely the marro that started it.

~TGRF.
Old August 19th, 2017, 12:54 AM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That's good to know. One of my pet peeves of the genre is when the origin is never explained or explored. AV technically didn't explain anything as far as I recall, but knowing that you had something in mind makes it okay. I hate it when ambiguity only exists because the author couldn't be bothered to come up with anything.

~TAF

Old August 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM

V4.C1

Every now and then, on a rare occasion, I will have a dream which yields inspiration for a novel or fan fiction. In fact, I have an entire novel based purely on a dream (which may or may not ever be written).

Very rarely, I will have a dream which not only serves as inspiration, but coincides perfectly with what I am trying to write at the present moment. That happened with AV. What follows is the result of that dream.

An opening was needed before I got to the actual dream, so that is yet another opening. The second chapter contains the inspiration itself.

Chapter One of Two
Spoiler Alert!

As a point of interest, this is I believe the first appearance of the soulborg crafts which have ever since populated my writing.

~TGRF.
Old August 20th, 2017, 06:23 PM

V4.C2

Chapter Two of Two
Spoiler Alert!

The plan was to continue the chapter, relating how Mike loses sight of the shadows on either side. He moves to his left, trying to re-establish contact, but can see nothing. Just when he's about to radio it in, he sees something through the dense fog about him. A shadow. A shape. Relief floods through him and he moves toward the guard, intending to ask where he went.
Unfortunately the shadow isn't a guard. Moments later, Mike realizes that the Infected have come, silently turning the guards, covered by the fog. He meets up with Drake, and they manage to get back to the SETEV just in time, the door sliding shut as the hideous forms of the Infected finally break from the grayness and stagger towards them, their eyes lit with an unnatural hunger...

Or something along those lines. This is the last of the failed beginnings. All that remains now is a different version of events directly after Mike enters the building where his mother is. It extends for a few chapters, so I'll be releasing it bit by bit. Hopefully I can check over the first part and post it tonight.

~TGRF.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:42 PM

VR2.c8.A

This is the last of the drafts. I eventually got my feet under me on how to write AV, and was making good progress. Until Mike left the SETEV. It was at that point that things changed.

I wrote two chapters before I realized that I could use the time between entering the building and finding the survivors to raise the stakes and increase the payout of the climax. In the published AV, things like Mike thinking he saw his mother, and seeing the sweater, accomplished this. Nothing of the kind was originally there.

I also had trouble with the elevator scene (what elevator scene you ask? Exactly.). Below is the first attempt at chapter eight, which includes the heavily revised elevator scene. I eventually just deleted the whole bit and everything after it. However, it still has some good zombie-action.

This chapter picks up a few paragraphs into the published chapter eight. Mike and Kara have just entered the elevator shaft in search of Mike's mother. Mike is winching them down with a soulborg device.
Chapter Eight
Spoiler Alert!

Chapter 8,b coming later today!

~TGRF.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:03 PM

Ah. Yes. I neglected to actually read the next two draft chapters, assuming they were a continuation of chapter eight. They were not. Chapter nine is very similar to what was published, so there isn't much point in publishing it. I don't think there was anything wrong with it - I just rewrote it when I rewrote chapter eight.

There are also two versions of the following chapter, where Mike wakes up and Carr is introduced. Neither chapter extends beyond two pages, and as nothing really happens in either version, I have decided to leave them unpublished.

So there you have it. Those are the AV drafts.

Some of you expressed interest in a sequel when I finished AV, and honestly such a sequel is completely possible. I'm not sure if it would follow Mike, but it might follow Carr on the mission mentioned in the epilogue, or it could follow someone else entirely.

There were actually plans for a sequel - meaning I had a single twist in mind, not an actual story - when I was writing AV. Those plans could turn into something more. Again though, the largest thing keeping me from writing a sequel is a lack of theme. Without a theme, it is very unlikely I will write a sequel.

~TGRF.
Old September 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM

I was surprised by the feedback I got on Mike's choice, when he decided to go through with his plan despite the danger to his friends and to the mission. I honestly thought I had established enough sympathy where the reader would be fine with it. I now know how wrong I was.

Posting the drafts to this fan fiction made me remember that, and out of curiosity, I posted a question about how I might have handled the situation differently. If you are interested, the reply I've marked as the answer has some good pointers to how I could have made the story much better.

~TGRF.
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:02 PM

I agree on the marked answer as a good idea. Readers are not involved in the stakes and pressures of the world like the characters are, and will often think far more levelheadedly and rationally unless you manage to pull their emotions into it as well.

It counts double for zombie or horror stories where stupid character decisions can spell doom for everyone involved, often leading to reader frustration. My answer for that is to avoid it whenever possible (probably to the detriment of realism and tension, I'll admit), play it off as stupid, or really sell it to the reader (which is easier said than done and varies by individual).

~TAF

P.S. Chapter 8 is very well written

Old September 26th, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I agree on the marked answer as a good idea. Readers are not involved in the stakes and pressures of the world like the characters are, and will often think far more levelheadedly and rationally unless you manage to pull their emotions into it as well.

It counts double for zombie or horror stories where stupid character decisions can spell doom for everyone involved, often leading to reader frustration. My answer for that is to avoid it whenever possible (probably to the detriment of realism and tension, I'll admit), play it off as stupid, or really sell it to the reader (which is easier said than done and varies by individual).

~TAF

P.S. Chapter 8 is very well written
Good advice there. I think I spend so long trying to find the motivations for my characters and making them as strong as they can be, that I sometimes short-change making the reader feel the same way. Point in case. Definitely something I could work on.

~TGRF.

P.S. Having said that, simply getting the motivation to work at all is quite the challenge. I've managed to back myself into such a corner with 4114 that I see no logical way out. At all.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction