Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Avatars aang & korra

Dysole,

Change away; I'll just reprint. As for playtesting, a number of independent designers have joined us now and again to get feedback and comment on adventures where we use their cards in games noted on our own thread: Official Classic Heroscape/Heroscape General Discussion/The New York City Gang of Four. It may take a few months, but I suspect some of your cards or their future versions will now appear there, and on my Chas Quickscan Master Lists as well!

Thanks for the info on the behind the scenes goings on at Nickelodeon.

One youtube commentator I read today said:

"After the first series, the creators wanted to do a TV Movie about Zuko's mother, but Nikelodeon would not let them do it."

Another noted:

"When some spoiler information leaks came out for Korra on the net, Nickelodeon lost all interest in the series."

It will be interesting to hear the commentaries on the second series episodes. While I don't imagine the creators will badmouth Nickelodeon, I'm sure they'll refer to the budget and deadline challenges they faced. This certainly explains a lot. But as you say, a 'bad' Korra is heads and shoulders above a good almost anything else!

When Korra came out I was so happy, because I had missed the Avatar Universe after the first series. I'll be interested to see your new Korra cards too. (Hey, the points at least are the easiest things to change on a card anyhow).

Last edited by chas; November 23rd, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:09 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Avatar: National Correspondences

Although I was a fan back when the series premiered, I'm just catching up to the 'secondary evolution' of the two series, having now done some internet research and getting ready to read the comic series.

Based on some youtube proposals and my own knowledge of Asian history and culture, here are the cognates for the four Avatar Universe nations with real history:

Air: Tibet
mountains, spiritual orientation, avatar reincarnation beliefs

Water: Inuit/Native American
polar environment, tribal, hunter-gatherers

Fire: Japan
small volcanic islands, first to industrialize, militaristic

Earth: China
largest land continent, centrally controlled, government bureaucracy

These are generally supported for each nation by clothing, jewelry, weapons, transportation modes and architectural styles, etc. Other Asian cultures are included in the series via music and various different aspects such as the Balinese closing theme.

Note; in the second comic book series, ukko's mother's land references Hawaii.

Time Eras

Where ATLA is roughly set in our mid 19th Century, LOK is set in the (steampunk) 1920s, which is the right span of chronological separation of the two periods as well. In Asia the first era was one of the invasion and colonization
of China (by Japan and the Western Powers) as well as internal civil war, the second in China saw the breakdown of national unity and regional control by warlords, who also fought each other.

Last edited by chas; November 23rd, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old November 26th, 2015, 07:17 AM

READING THE COMICS

(May contain mild spoilers)

Sherman Davies was over yesterday and says he really liked the first two of the Avatar comic series, which were originally issued in small "digest" format when he read them. He thought my larger format hard cover collections were great. I'm looking forward to plunging into them now. Their are marginalia by the writer and artists that are both interesting and show how closely they worked with the original creators. There are also art sketches of the characters with commentary, and of certain layout scenes.

The Promise

The only thing missing is the kind of text intro that most DC/Marvel collections give by the creators, with some background on the forming and philosophy of the creative team. Who are the writer and artists? But the proof is in the work itself.

Boy, they really do continue right after the series. What happened seconds after Aang and Katara kissed at the very end of the series? After Zukko visited his father in prison? Its all there. This is a great story, which is foreshadowed in the series, when Zukko is making his speech about how its going to be a tough job to deal with the effects of the war. The marginal comments give insight into how the writer and artists made creative decisions, somewhat as in the series DVD commentaries.

There are old characters, and new ones. Developments shown later in The Legend of Korra are connected to happenings here. And the very nature of "Team Avatar" will help create a new kind of society. Beautiful! And at the end, Zukko will get personally involved in the search for his missing mother, leading to...

The Search

I enjoyed this one even more, as it was more personal to the characters we know. Again it weaves back from the present to moments we know from the series, expanding and explaining. Once more the involvement of the original creators is reassuring, but the comic staff do a wonderful job. It is a touching and involving second series.

The Rift

I enjoyed this one as well. One of the original creators says that the writing of The Legend of Korra animated series while the comics were in the idea stage allowed for much melding of the comics with ideas from "the future" where Korra is set. And indeed, the idea of a Fire Nation Colony in the Earth Kingdom becoming the model for a new society where different benders live together is one of the main themes in all three comics, which is brought out more specifically in this third comic series.

Fourth ATLA Comic Series...

A fourth adventure is currently being published; I don't think its completed yet, as I only saw two of the usual three volumes out for it at a comic shop. it is not yet mentioned in the wikipedia article, where I found out about the other three.

Korra Comic

A follow up to The Legend of Korra animated series was announced, to be also published by Dark Horse Comics with a different artist. I have not seen it in stores yet. If anyone has seen it, please let me know.

Last edited by chas; November 28th, 2015 at 07:40 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV