Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old June 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - updated 6/24 - Colossus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
There's another way to read it?
And the "targeting" language came about with the Nakita Agents. Weren't they like Wave 6 or 7?
Wave 5.
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
There's another way to read it?
And the "targeting" language came about with the Nakita Agents. Weren't they like Wave 6 or 7?
Wave 5.
Then it's even worse than I thought.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Whoops, totally forgot about the Nakitas. Probably because I've rarely played them or played against them.
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Whoops, totally forgot about the Nakitas. Probably because I've rarely played them or played against them.
I think I end up referencing them for custom making more than I play them (though they're a lot of fun with a couple of squads of Gorillinators). Smoke Powder is definitely a unique power, though, which offers direction for a lot of the powers we come up with as custom makers. I think I was just referencing it in the SW Customs thread to GreyOwl today as well.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

My superhero customs have been taking a break as I work on my Lord of the Rings project, but I finally got around to making a custom "fix" of my favorite fictional character ever, Spider-Man:

I've always thought that the official card for Spidey came thisclose to representing him perfectly in my own eyes. The attack of 4 is good for a guy who gets in a lot of fights and is incredibly agile and strong, but lacks formal training. Spidey-Sense is almost perfect at simulating his annoying ability to avoid danger. Swing Line is, well, Swing Line.

But one thing about Scape-Spidey always bugged me - his lack of a multi-attack. In the comics, Spidey is often facing gangs of street criminals and is able to take them out with a combination of his unearthly reflexes and Spider-Sense, but the official Scape-Spidey had a much more difficult time dealing with squads, in my experience. So my goal was to give Spidey a chance against multiple squaddies (or even multiple villians, a la the Sinister Six) without changing the core of the original card. Changing one sentence in his Spidey-Sense power was the way I decided to go. Obviously, this necessitated an increase in his point cost, which I bumped to 180 as a placeholder number.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; July 28th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - updated 7/28 - Spider-M

Oooh, nice change to Spidey. Might have to do something like this myself...

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Sherman,

That's the best idea I've seen for Spidey, yet. The only problem you're going to have is looping. If Spidey is attacked in a middle of a double attack and succeeds on his roll, Spidey first takes an immediate turn before the second double attack. Then, if Spidey attacks someone else with a similar power, a train quickly gets created that can be hard to keep track of. This was brought up by Grundgebob in NM24 thread during the Namor debate. Apparently, the creators don't like to allow a character to take a turn in the middle of some else's turn.

The one way I've gotten around this loop is to force the ability to immediately end the turn of the attacker and then allow Spidey to take an immediate turn.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Balantai,

Thanks for the input! I like your solution, but it seems like it would be unfair to squads. What happens if the first figure in a squad attacks Spider-Man and Spidey's ability triggers? The rest of the squad loses their turn? I want Spidey to be effective against squads, but not that much.

If I correctly understand the "looping" problem you're describing, it's what would happen if Spider-Man used his free turn to attack someone else with a power that interrupted a turn, right? For example: Spider-Man, Venom and Captain America are having a free-for-all battle. Cap attacks Spidey with his first Shield Throw, Spidey dodges and attacks Venom. Venom dodges and attacks Cap. Finally Cap gets another Shield Throw (his second). While that situation might get confusing to keep track of, I don't know if it would come up often enough that I would want to "fix" it by ending an attacker's turn prematurely. That just seems to me to be a very powerful ability, particularly against squads.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to the fact that I make these customs for my own personal C3G project and share them for anyone who's got no interest in designing their own customs. Personally, I can live with the above situation coming up every 100 or so games. It's not a big deal to me if this version of Spidey doesn't make the cut for NM24 or C3G because of the potential looping problem.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:44 PM

Okay, here's another retooled custom of one of the official Marvelscape figs, the Incredible Hulk:

This was an easy custom to come up with, as 'Scapers have been saying ever since Marvelscape was released that Hulk should be able to use his Stomp Special Attack after leaping. It just makes sense thematically and makes him much more dangerous to squads, which gives him more of a chance to "earn his points back" against massed commons; although I'm not a huge fan of judging a figure's effectiveness by counting kill points, I've never once seen Hulk defeat a 370 or 400-point army of common squads. With some characters I wouldn't mind so much, but the Hulk fights the U.S. Army on a regular basis!

I also dropped the "Incredible" from his name, because it always bugged me that he was the only figure with an adjective in his name. Besides, I think just "Hulk" is punchier and more direct.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; July 30th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:15 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Re: Sherman Davies' Marvel customs - updated 7/30 - Hulk

With regard to the looping problem with Spider-man: what if you had a special power that combined counter-strike with move? Give Spider-man, say, 6 or 7 defense, then say "When Spider-man rolls defense, all extra shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure. If Spider-man takes no wounds, then he may immediately use Swing Line 4." Or something like that-- it would avoid the looping problem, give Spidey a good counter to weaker squads, but not too much advantage over incredibly powerful super-villains.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb View Post
With regard to the looping problem with Spider-man: what if you had a special power that combined counter-strike with move? Give Spider-man, say, 6 or 7 defense, then say "When Spider-man rolls defense, all extra shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure. If Spider-man takes no wounds, then he may immediately use Swing Line 4." Or something like that-- it would avoid the looping problem, give Spidey a good counter to weaker squads, but not too much advantage over incredibly powerful super-villains.
Interesting solution, Elginb. A friend of mine came up with something similar for his Mr. Miracle custom. I kinda like it, but I can't use it because my goal with tweaking the original Marvelscape cards is to slightly alter the existing powers, not to replace them with different ones.

As I said, the looping problem is not a significant one to me in casual play, which is the exact environment my custom Spider-Man (and all my other customs, for that matter) is designed for.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM

Since I've already posted my tweaks of Spidey and Hulk, here are their Marvelscape counterparts, Venom and Abomination, with the same tweaks:

I increased Venom's cost to be the same as my custom Spider-Man's because I always thought the official Venom should've cost the same as Spidey. In my mind, the two extra attack dice pretty much exactly makes up for the less reliable Spider-Sense. This impression is reinforced by stories I hear about Venom being drafted in tourneys (at least those which allow Marvelscape) far more than Spidey.

Finally, since I know some of us around here consider the official Silver Surfer fig to be a bit on the nerfed side, here's my take on the first herald of Galactus:

Again, I didn't want to drastically change the Surfer, as I think he's one of the most thematically accurate translations from the original Marvelscape set. I just wanted his power level to be closer to what I imagine it to be, which is on par with characters like the Hulk or Superman. In this case, I simply upped his normal and special attacks by one attack die and increased his cost 40 points to reflect that.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; August 6th, 2009 at 11:00 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations