Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: Comics: what are you currently reading?

There's a bunch of DC You stories I want to give a try. Omega Men, We Are Robin, Midnighter, Black Canary... and I hear good things about Martian Manhunter and Doctor Fate as well.
Old June 8th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Picked up Flash Rebirth, Wonder Woman Rebirth, and Vision this week. Would have grabbed Thunderbolts (which, despite some gripes with the art, I collect unconditionally), but my local comic shop was all out.

Flash was fun, for the most part. The issue starts off strongly, but it gets a little bogged down in the larger Rebirth stuff later on. I know what's going on because I've been following the news on that one, but I think it would be pretty unsatisfying otherwise.

Wonder Woman Rebirth is definitely the strongest of the Rebirth one-shots I've read. Really excited for that book.

Vision continues to impress. Man am I sad that we're already two thirds of the way through that.
Old June 13th, 2016, 09:07 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My brother loaned me the Planet Hilk series. Just finished the prelude! It's a great story so far.
Old July 21st, 2016, 05:34 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

So, I know DC lost a lot of subscribers with the intro of the New 52, and personally, they killed off one of my all time favorite characters - the Wally West Flash. But Rebirth leads me to believe that they always had a plan - albeit a crazy, mixed up, half baked plan - but a plan nonetheless. The Rebirth title brought tears to my eyes. What a FANTASTIC story! And the ideas and directions they have going now are first rate. My only hope is that they can sustain their momentum. They have brought back some of the best pre-52 stuff, kept the things that New 52 fixed (Aquaman is still cool, Cyborg is in JL, TWO new GLs in JL) and reignited the relationships that made some of their characters iconic. Supes and Lois are married again and raising a son (pre-New 52 story). Batman is still Batman no reboot but he doesn't trust this new Superman that he doesn't know. Wonder Woman took the best of both and is marrying their stories together. Like Joker, her origin has changed a ton of times and she has suddenly realized that someone is manipulating her and her perception of who she is. Oh, and Wally has reunited the Original Teen Titans, who had forgotten about him and the fact that they were even a team. Good stuff, IMO. The who behind it all is the most controversial part, but here is a potential mind blower that I have never seen anywhere else - what if they take this story to the movies? Yes, what if the "big Bad" (who has already appeared in a movie) suddenly appeared in the DCCU as the guy who manipulated reality to make Supes kill Zod and Bats use guns? Interesting, huh? Check the spoilers if you don't know I'm talking about.
Spoiler Alert!

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez

Last edited by Spidey'tilIDie; October 24th, 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old July 21st, 2016, 05:42 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Could you post a timeline from what I will call classic DC to New 52 to Rebirth?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:07 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
So, I know DC lost a lot of subscribers with the intro of the New 52, and personally, they killed off one of my all time favorite characters - the Wally West Flash. But Rebirth leads me to believe that they always had a plan - albeit a crazy, mixed up, half baked plan - but a plan nonetheless.
Believe me, there was no plan. No publisher in existence would ever say, "Hey, let's publish a ton of badly-received comics for four years to set up a story in which we fix everything! It will totally have been worth losing market share to Marvel for four years and becoming a laughing stock among fans! Yay!"

That said, I agree that the Rebirth one-shot was a surprisingly touching story that gives DC a chance to return their universe to a more readable status quo. Don't blow it, DC!
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:53 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Works for me, since as far as I'm concerned, the New 52 never happened.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:43 AM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
So, I know DC lost a lot of subscribers with the intro of the New 52, and personally, they killed off one of my all time favorite characters - the Wally West Flash. But Rebirth leads me to believe that they always had a plan - albeit a crazy, mixed up, half baked plan - but a plan nonetheless.
Believe me, there was no plan. No publisher in existence would ever say, "Hey, let's publish a ton of badly-received comics for four years to set up a story in which we fix everything! It will totally have been worth losing market share to Marvel for four years and becoming a laughing stock among fans! Yay!"

That said, I agree that the Rebirth one-shot was a surprisingly touching story that gives DC a chance to return their universe to a more readable status quo. Don't blow it, DC!
Sherman, while I appreciate your opinion of the New 52, I do feel it's a little exaggerated. Several things from New 52 were widely popular and better than their predecessors, namely Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League Dark, Trinity War, Darkseid War, the whole Crime Syndicate story, just off the top of my head. I also know Batman Year Zero, Batgirl, and Gordon Batman were popular but I didn't read them myself. I think DC used New 52 to try some new ideas (some of which worked), and find new talent, which really worked well. Did it turn some people off? Sure. But their recent animated cinematic success is mostly due to stories from this era.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:08 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

There is certainly no arguing the quality of DC's animated ventures. Top notch.
Now go make a good live action movie(hopefully Suicide Squad does the trick).

- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 15th, 2016, 07:04 PM
C3G's First Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Could you post a timeline from what I will call classic DC to New 52 to Rebirth?
I'm not sure what you are asking, but if you clarify, I will try to comply.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero

RIP George Perez
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:43 AM

When did New 52 begin and when did Rebirth begin?

I am curious about the continuity of DC.

Good to see you Spidey.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Completely on a whim and looking for something to read while on the can, I grabbed my copy of Daniel Clowes's Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron.
I believe it's first edition (and originally came with a CD soundtrack that I since sold off) and probably haven't read since the mid-90s.

The tale involves a young man captivated by an actress he's seen in a very low budget, possible snuff film. He borrows a friend's car and heads out on a road trip, determined to find the woman. On his journey he is accosted, marked with an enigmatic Value Ape symbol, and befriends, not wholly, by choice, weirdos, loners and outcasts.

The narrative has a David Lynch feel and appeal. It's a quick read, but oh so strange and depraved. The resolution is harrowing and most depressing.
The art is crisp, retro and purposely stiff, but coupled with the subdued dialogoue, humorous as all get-out.

Shave the dog, Clay!

Clay, marked with the mysterious 'Value Ape' symbol

Searching for these images, it became apparent the story got under the skin of a lot of Clowes fans.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics