Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Metagame Evolution

Let's not start this here, too, fellows.
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM

HarleyThomas is surprisingly tart

So...Jexik, any plans on doing a similar write up involving Wave Nine (and maybe Warriors of Feldspar) and D&Dscape?
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

The (understandable) proliferation of special attacks (modest though most be) definitely put a dent in the usefulness of Hie in Darkness, Counter Strike, etc. I think we have gone past the point where the special attacking units offer "safe" ways to overcome those powers and gone a little ways (but by no means too far) into the realm where a player with a fairly complete collection need not do without special attacks as counter drafts to Samurai and Drow.

As for countering squadscape, the heroes that either attack more than once (Evar Scarcarver, SotM Raelin, Eltahale, Master Woo) or allow for some sort of double activation (Wyrmlings) offer a nice balance. Without multiple attacks or some sort of hero-to-hero bonding, lone-activating heroes really do not stand a chance against even basic squads.

Old February 7th, 2019, 12:32 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

While there are some units that put a dent in squadscape, see Asterios, the most powerful units/combos remain so for the most part. What has changed is the number of alternatives to the standard XXX point, bring and play your own pre-built army format. For example, in GenCon 2018, we had

Bring 2
16 player, 4-round tourney. Bring 2 500 point armies (no Marvel, 16 figure max). Dice-off winner chooses 1 of the 4 armies (theirs or their opponent's). Other player chooses from remaining 3. Prizes awarded.

Reverse
Open to all players, 16-player 4-round tournament. Bring a 500-600pt army (20 figure limit, no Marvel). Your army must contain at least 500 points, but no more than 600 points. Rounds 1 & 3 played using your opponent's army. Prizes awarded.

Main Event
Players bring a 490pt army (18 figure limit, no Marvel). 5-round swiss style tournament, with rounds 2 & 4 played Reverse the Whip (using your opponent's army). Top 16 players advance to finals.

Cluster Draft
16 player, 4 round swiss tourney. Players bring 3 150 to 170 point armies (7 hex limit, uniques used in one army cannot be used in another). Players draft the armies in a 1-2-1-1-1 format. Prizes awarded.

This last is similar to that of the NYCG4's Pod Draft mini-tourney for 2/9:

For this event, players will submit two pods. Each pod may contain up to 250 points, and may not contain more than 12 hexes of figures per pod. No Marvel, VC alowed plus Kha (kolakoski's SoV candidate). Valhalla Society rules (no guns). The combined point total of both pods cannot be more than 500 points. The pods cannot share any figures. The pods of both players are pooled together for a draft, and there is a dice off. The winner of the dice off can choose to draft first, or defer. The draft is 1-2-1 style. The two pods drafted by each player are played together against the two pods drafted by the other player in a standard kill 'em all game.

*You may not have 2 of the same unique army card in your army, therefore, if you draft 2 pods that both include the same unique army card, you may only place one on the battlefield.

In cluster or pod drafts, as long as the pods or clusters are balanced against each other (knowledge of metagame required), and in how they will synergize with other sets of pods or clusters, i.e., no Raelins, it does not matter what units you bring, nor does it really matter (IMHO) whether anyone knows what you will field in advance. It's all about how skillfully the players are able to use whatever units are in play. For that reason, I suggest such a draft format be considered for the GenCon 2019 Main Event.

Old February 7th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Balancing against the metagame at a tournement is inherently dangerous for balance, as you cannot assume that a player won’t bring Raelin or some other massively OP unit. Major Q9 is still dreaded for a reason, for example. You can ban those units, but that doesn’t stop another unit from taking the top tier spot. You can still do it, as it likely won’t ruin the whole event, just don’t expect it to be 100% balanced.

That sort of reminds of me of when someone took Isamu and Otonashi for their two armies in a Bring 2 event. It went against the intent, but didn’t outright break it.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:49 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

In cluster or pod drafts, as long as the pods or clusters are balanced against each other (knowledge of metagame required), and in how they will synergize with other sets of pods or clusters, i.e., no Raelins, it does not matter what units you bring, nor does it really matter (IMHO) whether anyone knows what you will field in advance. It's all about how skillfully the players are able to use whatever units are in play. ~ Me

My comments below in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Balancing against the metagame at a tournement is inherently dangerous for balance, as you cannot assume that a player won’t bring Raelin or some other massively OP unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

Not sure how this addresses my point. I advised the Gang concerning balancing the pods against one another, and to avoid units that unbalanced the pods/combined armies, like Raelin.

Major Q9 is still dreaded for a reason, for example. You can ban those units, but that doesn’t stop another unit from taking the top tier spot. You can still do it, as it likely won’t ruin the whole event, just don’t expect it to be 100% balanced.

By definition, such an OP unit unbalances a player's pods in favor of the pod containing it. Our group is small and pretty knowledgeable, so I don't think this will be a problem. [I'll send an email to the Gang containing this post - just in case.]

That sort of reminds of me of when someone took Isamu and Otonashi for their two armies in a Bring 2 event. It went against the intent, but didn’t outright break it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion