Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old May 30th, 2019, 10:52 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Crypolith) - Pod 0 - Design

I think an Explosion attack targeting the cryptolith and /or figure, both are considered adjacent to each other, but not sure. For adjacent figures - it is similar to figure on-top of overhang where base+height of figure is compared to base+height of cryptolith.
Old May 30th, 2019, 08:18 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
What makes a deliberate Sci-fi theme tacked on, exactly?
We can accomplish all the same stuff without reference to a specific kind of theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I don't understand the theme behind Crosswinds.
It was a placeholder name. Would it help you guys getting hung up on names if I stopped naming things altogether and just used [PLACEHOLDER POWER NAME] everywhere?

Quote:
Instead of calling the third one Unstable Footing just call it Unstable and I think I'm more or less sold. However, I think the figure should be able to be placed where the Cryptolith *was* after a wound is placed to destroy it, and the current wording doesn't allow that.
I like the power name "Unstable". We can easily reword to accommodate that placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Crypolith Warp Field:
Before moving a figure you control that is adjacent or on top of this Crypolith, you may either place that figure on top of this Crypolith or adjacent to this Crypolith. Figures being placed by Crypolith Warp Field will receive any Leaving Engagement attacks.

The rules mean we can omit Crosswinds, and it’s much easier to explain a Warp Field from a mysterious tower causing some issues with flight than it is to ask why Crosswinds applies for these things but not 30 Levels high mountains.
Seriously, please stop getting attached to the first name thrown out. The point is to have a power that doesn't allow figures to simply fly to the top. What that power is called can be figured out later. That said, I don't see anything in your "warp field" power that means we can omit said anti-flying power? Your power as written also allows descent and full normal movement in the same turn, which doesn't seem right.

DIFFICULT SUMMIT
Instead of moving normally, figures that begin their movement adjacent to a cryptolith may move to the top of that cryptolith. Instead of moving normally, figures that begin their movement on top of a cryptolith may move to a space adjacent to that cryptolith. Figures cannot move to the top of the cryptolith except with Difficult Summit.

UNSTABLE
When this crypolith receives a wound or is destroyed, a figure on top of it must be placed on a space adjacent to it or the space it previously occupied by its controller. Roll an attack die. On a skull, that figure receives a wound. If that figure cannot be placed, it is destroyed.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 31st, 2019, 11:54 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
DIFFICULT SUMMIT
Instead of moving normally, figures that begin their movement adjacent to a cryptolith may move to the top of that cryptolith. Instead of moving normally, figures that begin their movement on top of a cryptolith may move to a space adjacent to that cryptolith. Figures cannot move to the top of the cryptolith except with Difficult Summit.
Why?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 31st, 2019, 08:14 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
DIFFICULT SUMMIT
Why?
To elaborate on this point (which I agree with), appending this to the end of the power is going to feel awkward no matter what thematic justification we choose to pursue for it. Especially if we're going for an already simple mechanical direction for a climbable, unstable tower, any additional aspect appended to that is going to feel inelegant.

I understand the desire to not make another FotA tower. But the piece of plastic sitting in front of us is nonetheless an elevated platform rising vertically from the ground with a space on top to stand on. From the standpoint of building a cohesive set, it's going to be very strange for us to design flying figures while simultaneously removing their ability to use the only piece of terrain with any verticality in AotP. From the standpoint of communicating theme, nothing about these towers visually suggests that flying figures can't land on them, making it an odd unintuitive condition to have to check mid game. This condition only works from a balance perspective, and one that is concerned almost exclusively with playability in tounrament-style formats. That's important, but we do have to consider how much we're willing to push and bend theme (meant broadly here, not simply in reference to any specific thematic justification that has been proposed) in order to prevent these from being used as perches.

Regarding figure size limitations, I'm mostly just following the precedent of ladders here. You probably could physically fit Deathwalker 9k onto a ladder rung, but the small/medium restriction works to easily shut down any allowance for double-spaced figures to climb them. From there, it's believable that single-based large figures would simply be too big or heavy to climb, and given that instability is a consistent aspect we've thrown around here, it seems like that would apply to Cryptoliths as well.
Old June 1st, 2019, 03:00 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
To elaborate on this point (which I agree with), appending this to the end of the power is going to feel awkward no matter what thematic justification we choose to pursue for it.
I disagree, because anyone who has played with flying figures and perches understands it from a balance perspective. And that's why I thought it was something we were including. But if we're not interested in that limitation (given Unstable is intended to help curb that power play as well), I'm fine with omitting it and testing it without. It just seemed to be part of the discussion until this point.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:08 AM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Hi all, what about:

Teleport: Move a figure on top of cryptolith to any unoccupied top cryptolith on board map
Warped Reality: All powers are nullified (Flying included) from and to cryptolith hex. Range to hex is reduced by 3.

Only can climb at beginning of turn if on hex and has a movement of 5 or more.
Destructible and stats as discussed previously.
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:41 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm not a fan of any type of Crosswinds/Difficult Summit power unless it has a Sci-Fi theme (such as the warp field) to justify it. I'm not sure that there's another way to make it thematically work without relying on the sci-fi angle at least somewhat.

That said, I'm also fine with omitting the limitation altogether. It definitely helps differentiate them from FotA towers a bit, but like @All Your Pie mentioned, it's not intuitive and one of the benefits of using them as towers is that it makes flying more impactful in the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeraistlin View Post
Hi all, what about:

Teleport: Move a figure on top of cryptolith to any unoccupied top cryptolith on board map
Warped Reality: All powers are nullified (Flying included) from and to cryptolith hex. Range to hex is reduced by 3.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We've actually discussed a bit about using them as teleportation beacons or negation auras before, but the consensus is to use them as towers instead. It's felt that a sci-fi theme wouldn't be immediately recognizable and that towers with a significant negative power are more straightforward.
Old June 4th, 2019, 01:31 AM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Ah now I know what you mean about Cross winds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I'm not a fan of any type of Crosswinds/Difficult Summit power unless it has a Sci-Fi theme (such as the warp field) to justify it. I'm not sure that there's another way to make it thematically work without relying on the sci-fi angle at least somewhat.

That said, I'm also fine with omitting the limitation altogether. It definitely helps differentiate them from FotA towers a bit, but like @All Your Pie mentioned, it's not intuitive and one of the benefits of using them as towers is that it makes flying more impactful in the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakeraistlin View Post
Hi all, what about:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We've actually discussed a bit about using them as teleportation beacons or negation auras before, but the consensus is to use them as towers instead. It's felt that a sci-fi theme wouldn't be immediately recognizable and that towers with a significant negative power are more straightforward.
Understood, I will read this thread again.... Couldn't these also be some mad fantasy or Mountain of Madness type of structures.
In any case I've read the FAQ and will limit my comments to the brainstorming thread

Thanks
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:50 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

If you thought about if the actual structure was to scale in our real world, the structure would pick up some mad winds as it is designed to funnel the wind to either the bottom or the top of the structure (with an invisible gust of wind going straight up preventing flying over/landing on top of it). In addition due to the cyclone structure and being really skinny and not able to have a solid beam through the center it would probably shake a lot (I have a "Cat tree" and even that thing shakes when a cat is on top and its only 4 feet high with a pole in the middle) . I could totally see if this was real and some powerful blast/being hit it it would shake enough to knock the figure off. I think if we had a power with the 50/50 chance of either falling or getting a wound if on top it mitigates allowing flying figures on top, but I could totally see a non fantasy/sci-fi logic (i.e.e real world architecture/aerodynamics) both for it being unstable and not allowing figures to fly over and land on top.
Old June 4th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Why wouldn’t a figure be able to land on something unstable simply because its unstable? Cats jump onto cat towers without falling off, after all. Thematically, not being able to land on a crypolith doesn’t fit without a magical/sci-fi theme. We can test it out without the “cannot land on this with climbing it” version and see what happens. If it’s not really fun, we can go back to the drawing board.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 4th, 2019, 03:04 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
To elaborate on this point (which I agree with), appending this to the end of the power is going to feel awkward no matter what thematic justification we choose to pursue for it.
I disagree, because anyone who has played with flying figures and perches understands it from a balance perspective. And that's why I thought it was something we were including. But if we're not interested in that limitation (given Unstable is intended to help curb that power play as well), I'm fine with omitting it and testing it without. It just seemed to be part of the discussion until this point.
Yes, I understand it from a balance perspective. I am struggling with it from a thematic perspective.

Shouldn't this destructible object be something that is *in* Valhalla? So not some kind of sci-fi thing?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 4th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Yes, I understand it from a balance perspective. I am struggling with it from a thematic perspective.

Shouldn't this destructible object be something that is *in* Valhalla? So not some kind of sci-fi thing?
My line of reasoning behind a sci-fi theme (besides that being the best explanation for their appearance in my opinion) is that they could easily have been brought to Valhalla like the Marro Hive. I don't think that it's a stretch to say that Vydar summoned some SoulBorg Reconnaissance Towers from Alpha Prime or Isadora, and it feels better to me than saying that they're some ancient artifacts from the Underdark or the like.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs