Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old August 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Responsibilty of Internet content hosters

While I've been thinking about this a great deal personally, delphic's quips about the rep system in the What kind of repper are you thread sparked me to make this thread. The main question I want to be discussed is: "Should websites who host users' pictures, comments, videos, etc. be held responsible for that content and the actions of their readers/members who use it?"

I would be inclined to say that they're not responsible to anybody but themselves (as an organization), but I could see where somebody posting a terrorism recruitment ad on Youtube, or photos of Palestinian prisoners on Facebook could be controversial, or Wikileaks being held responsible for informant deaths.

What do you think?
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:28 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Responsibilty of Internet content hosters

Network neutrality, anyone?

Actually, I just thew that term out knowing little what it means even after reading the wiki article and various tech blogs/podcasts. For a really good explanation of it, see what "The Ninja" has to say about it.
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

There are sites that actual approve everything before it is posted and if you ever read them you would wonder which mental hospital you were unknowingly committed to.

The Admins here do a great job with removing spam and inappropriate materials...granted they cant stop it all from happening...but they can do as much damage control as possible so the exposure is minimized.
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

There is some precedent for holding sites liable if they knowingly allow illegal activities to take place via the site (such as pirating software or music); but short of that, sites' can set standards and enforce them, but they aren't liable for violations of those standards. At least that's my opinion.
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Wow when did delphic get banned?
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
Wow when did delphic get banned?
Yeah I noticed that too. I was enjoying this thread he has created.

Is he gone for good?

Sure he made an error of judgement and took things too far, but that doesn't justify a permanent ban, does it?

Ahhh, there's probably some blurb about 'no official comments regarding bans' isn't there?

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

On the contrary. I was reading a thread about jcb321 being banned last week and there were comments from truth in there. I don't think the admins enjoy talking about it, but there's not a moratorium on talking about it.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
On the contrary. I was reading a thread about jcb321 being banned last week and there were comments from truth in there. I don't think the admins enjoy talking about it, but there's not a moratorium on talking about it.
Wow. I'm impressed.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Considering there's no moratorium, what exactly got Delphic banned? I read through some of his recent posts but didn't see anything that warranted banishment. I assume the the post that got him "dismembered" was removed. Was he using foul language? If so, couldn't he have been asked to edit his post and drop his rep to zero or something? I liked him.
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip View Post
Considering there's no moratorium, what exactly got Delphic banned?
I assume it was his antics in this thread.
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Maybe the fact that he wrote bad things about this site to Hasbro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic View Post
My suggestion to anyone who agrees is not to debate the issue, no one here will change it. Simply do what I did last night. Write a letter and snail mail it to Hasbro and WotC customer service, I'd include a few choice examples printed from the site.

This is an officially supported fan site, it represents the parent company, so that is where a complaint should go regarding how it is run or about any moderators, administrators etc you have a problem with, associated with the site. They all represent the parent company.
Am I understanding this correctly? You wrote a letter to Hasbro and WotC to complain about the Rep policy on this (privately owned and operated) site?
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Under Taro's Banner

I could see that being a problem come NHSD. I read today in th news that gangs are sending death threats via facebook-and three of the singled out people were actually killed. It's situations like these that make me want hosters to manage/police but I know its unreasonable because it's not their content-they're just providing a forum for the dissemination of information, good and bad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General