Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old June 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM

mr_grey has disabled reputation
Summoning Glyph rules - Unbalanced?

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this has been covered already but I did a search and could not find anything on the forums specifically related to my question.

My friend and I have played many games together and one thing we can not seem to agree upon is that the Summoning glyph unbalances the game.
The last few games we have played together have basically been won by using the summoning glyph to get an enemy figure surrounded and of course taken out. I used it to my benifit a number of times, so much so that my friend wants them to be excluded from all future games.

Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong in interpreting the glyph being played in the following way.

1. You move a figure you control onto the glyph
2. You summon either one of yours or an opponents figure
3. You attack the opponents figure if that is the summoned figure

I usually play a viper based army and have used the summoning glyph to my advantage a few times now. I usually move a squad of vipers to the glyph and summon the most threating opponents figure. With a little luck on the frenzy and damage rolls you can take out the figure before he has a chance to return the attack.

I argued that summon glyph is not unbalancing as I may not get the frenzy roll and therefore my turn is finished. I also argued that if I was to use any other squad they would only get one attack each as well. It just so happens that I use the vipers because of this ability. I also argued that the summoned figure does not take any leaving engagements so he has a chance to escape (not likely with vipers though...hence why I play them!!!).

Am I exploiting a loop hole here or is this just a valid tactic that works for me as I play a viper army.

I am the lizard Man!!!
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
army aside and wether or not you summon his or yours, attack it or dont....it sounds like you are using the glyph correctly.

I have had figures summoned into hot lava with summon glyph before....just part of it; i dont consider that glyph unbalanced.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Runehardt has disabled reputation
I've summoned what I thought was an easy kill but with unlucky rolls I ended up getting my own figure killed.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM

shakey_snake has disabled reputation
sounds right.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
THE Ungrateful Whorebath

cbs42 knows what's in an order marker cbs42 knows what's in an order marker
Sounds like you summarized it correctly.

When my buddies get together and play (less HS now since we've moved on to other games) we rarely use anything but the most basic glyphs. The glyphs we do use are usually placed in low spots on the map, in order not to compound the benefits of a glyph with a height advantage as well.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Aranas has disabled reputation
The last time I was able to use the glyph to my advantage it was with Drake. I summonned my opponent Raelin beside Drake and killed her (no wounds) in only lucky strike! Yeah

But this goes both sides. Your friends just have to get to it before you If it is a source of insatisfaction then do not play with it. With my friends, we use frequently some glyphs and never use others like Mitonsul (Massive Curse).

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
It sounds like your friends are not most frustrated with the functionality of the glyph (which is being used correctly), but with your reliance of the glyph.

If the last few games have been decided because of the Summoning glyph then try removing the glyph for the next few games.

A glyph certainly can change the outcome of a game, but it should not be doing on a regular basis. If you find that games are regularly being won with regular use of a specific glyph, you might try moving the glyph to a less opportunistic place on the board so as to lessen its affect on the games outcome.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old June 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM

morgonis has disabled reputation
can be used to take away gyph advantages for a monet or 3 to. example..

oppnent had sylv on the range +4 gylph and pretty much pegging anyone dumb enough to charge, so i took 3 hounds to the summon glyph, summoned Slyv.....Legolas, its whats for dinner.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Aranas has disabled reputation
:hungry:

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
has been BANNED

Jason is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
If you use Vipres your opponent should draft the AE, You can't summon all4 and grendes rock their world. DW8k could rock them too
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM

daevablacc has disabled reputation
Re: Summoning Glyph rules - Unbalanced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_grey
I also argued that the summoned figure does not take any leaving engagements so he has a chance to escape.
Are you saying that on the summoned figure's next turn it could leave the spot to which it was summoned w/o taking leaving engagements? The glyph only protects the figure from leaving engagements when the figure is being summoned, not after.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:22 PM

capfan has disabled reputation
I play with the power side down. Nobody knows which Glyph does what until you get there.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's