Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Old March 26th, 2018, 10:01 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Pathfinder RPG Play By Post with Heroscapers

I have long thought it would be cool to play role playing games with my fellow Heroscapers. Geography makes that difficult, but that's what the internet is for. Many people use virtual tabletops like roll20 to play RPGs in real-time with their friends. But scheduling makes that difficult. That is where play-by-post comes in. If you're not familiar with the idea, there is a pretty good brief summary here. If you're more into podcasts, this episode discussed play-by-post.

Personally, I play Pathfinder. I'll let the company that makes it, and a fan-person, describe it rather than trying to do so myself. Also, I primarily play in the Organized Play campaign for Pathfinder called Pathfinder Society. But I might be willing to run a more traditional campaign starting sometime in the next year or two.

All this to say, if any of y'all would be interested in joining me and some others in playing Pathfinder play-by-post, please sound off! Questions are welcome as well.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; March 26th, 2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Pathfinder Play By Post

Cool! I'm interested in the concept of a play-by-post RPG. Heck, I already did that with MegaSilver, and he gave up before I did.

I'll look at the material. Never played PF, but I've played a few generations of D&D. Not 3.5, which I understand is the progenitor of PF, but others.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

God, I GREW UP ON play by post. Close to 6 years altogether. I'd be completely up for something run on here.
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I don't want to play with PK!!!!

Ok, fine.

= =
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

PFfffttt!
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:54 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Debating

This sounds fun but also at the same time, I don't want to overcommit myself.

~Dysole, who hasn't done an RPG in a while
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:57 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
God, I GREW UP ON play by post. Close to 6 years altogether. I'd be completely up for something run on here.
I would probably run it over on the Paizo messageboards, since they have support for dice rolling and all that stuff.

--
--
--

--
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Re: Pathfinder RPG Play By Post with Heroscapers

I can get on those at work, and I have time for it. Good for me.

edit: I think you'll find you have enough people. How soon do you want to start, how many people are you looking for, and, for those who have the time and interest in playing and make the cut (however you decide) for the game, where should they go to get started thinking about characters and rolling them up?

= =
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Oh! Well that'll work out. Just let me know when you're setting it up and I'll make an account or whatever.
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Hmm. Turns out I can't access the link to the "class deck" from work. That might be a problem.

= =
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I would do it if we played something a lot simpler than Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Cool! I'm interested in the concept of a play-by-post RPG. Heck, I already did that with MegaSilver, and he gave up before I did.

I'll look at the material. Never played PF, but I've played a few generations of D&D. Not 3.5, which I understand is the progenitor of PF, but others.
That's correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
This sounds fun but also at the same time, I don't want to overcommit myself.

~Dysole, who hasn't done an RPG in a while
Don't overdo it Dysole. Time commitment wise you're looking at a few* hours up front to create a character and then a few* minutes a day (M-F and often 1+ posts on the weekend).
*the definition of "a few" depends on who you are

Quote:
I can get on those at work, and I have time for it. Good for me.

edit: I think you'll find you have enough people. How soon do you want to start, how many people are you looking for, and, for those who have the time and interest in playing and make the cut (however you decide) for the game, where should they go to get started thinking about characters and rolling them up?
These are good questions! I'll have to think about them. So far I've been coordinating with people in RL and I've just been interacting with them individually as they create their characters, but at some point I need a way to bring it all together. I'll figure that out and circle back to you.

Quote:
Hmm. Turns out I can't access the link to the "class deck" from work. That might be a problem.
Ah! I should clear up some confusion. The link I posted to for organized play had two sections that weren't clearly separated. One section was for the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild and the other was for the Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild. The latter sounds pretty cool, but I've never done it and don't have plans to at the moment. It is the latter block that mentions class decks.

Paizo hosts all of their Open Gaming License content here. I suggest sticking to the Core Rulebook (CRB) to start, but if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole, there are over 30+ classes to pick from if you go outside the CRB. If you do go outside the CRB, then d20pfsrd does a nice job of organizing things by category, regardless of the book it came from, and archivesOfNethys does a nice job of providing a robust search engine for finding specific things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I would do it if we played something a lot simpler than Pathfinder.
I find Pathfinder pretty straightforward, but I understand not everyone does. You might be interested to know (as might others in the thread) that Paizo recently announced they are working on a second edition. It will come out next year, which is right about the time that the first edition will have its 10th birthday.

The second edition of Pathfinder doesn't negatively impact us--there's so much content out for first edition we could do play-by-post for years and years and not run out. When the second edition comes out I plan to play *both* for years to come.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online