Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Okay, first attempt:

James Murphy- 75

Raelin- 80 (Yes, HEH is right. Gotta have Raelin.)

Laglor- 110

Now at this point you have a pretty formidable force. I mean Murphy+Raelin+Laglor is really a Deathwalker with more life and a slightly smaller attack. I figure that this group would do pretty well against most swarms. But, I still have 235 points to fill up. Here I have two unit groups that I am trying to decide on.

Either:

Theracus- 40

Gorillanators 2X- 180

OR:

Microcorp 2X- 200

Guilty Mcreech- 30

Both of them have the same basic principle. You set up a large defensive screen that is enhanced by Laglor. It isn't hard for either group to get into really advantageous position where they can blast the crap out of everyone.

I slightly favor the G'nator way. For one, I am better at using the G'nators than I am at using the Microcorp and I like having Theracus in there. He allows Murphy to get height really easy. I mean, who would be able to stand against Murphy on a hill with Laglor and Raelin behind him? (Then add 3 shots a turn from thee G'nators!)

I could see this army having some problems with the heavy guys. Especially an army that has heavy guys and a swarm. A Q9/deathreavers force is an example; Murphy would have to focus on taking Q9 down and then he would not be able to take down the swarm part of the army (Roborats) like he usually does.

Still, it be fun to play.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Education_Hour
OR take out the merciful Kyrie & Kravs and toss in the ladies in white to protect Murphy and DED.

Murphy 75
Nakitas 120
Gilbert 105
KoWx2 140
DED 60
I have been thinking about this army of late. the more I think about it the more nervous I get. The knights only have 1 more die than Murphy's attack. I can just see Murphy wiping out all of his own knights in one or two shots. I guess you save the KoW for the end but your whole strategy seems a little iffy here.

P.S. If you want a high defense unit to hold down the enemy en mass for Murphy to shoot at, why not use the Gladiatrons? That way you really would be anchoring down the masses. Just my 2 cents.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Education_Hour
OR take out the merciful Kyrie & Kravs and toss in the ladies in white to protect Murphy and DED.

Murphy 75
Nakitas 120
Gilbert 105
KoWx2 140
DED 60
I have been thinking about this army of late. the more I think about it the more nervous I get. The knights only have 1 more die than Murphy's attack. I can just see Murphy wiping out all of his own knights in one or two shots. I guess you save the KoW for the end but your whole strategy seems a little iffy here.

P.S. If you want a high defense unit to hold down the enemy en mass for Murphy to shoot at, why not use the Gladiatrons? That way you really would be anchoring down the masses. Just my 2 cents.
Chimpy, I wanted to use a less-drafted unit. I guess it's the left-handed, right-brained thinker in me. Less logical, more...I dunno. I wanna take the less-used guys. Probably never win me a competition, but that's where the fun lies for me - using the less-drafted.

Gladiatrons are a great choice, but then I start heading into Blastatrons territory and I throw the whole army into a Vydar lovefest.
As well, if we're discussing that possible situation of tagging friendly units in order to get enemy figures with Shotgun, the Glads are only getting 3 defense.
Weston knights come with that hefty base defense of 4.
Gladiatrons completely immobilize the small/medium enemies, but Knights tie up all with a scary option of disengaging for 2 rolls of the attack dice. A scarier situation for heroes than squads, but you get the idea.

By the way, I had completely forgot to factor in Laglor in my Murphy build-up! I may submit another army with the flagbearer in mind.
BUT on competitive boards (usually smaller) I wonder how useful +2 range is going to be anyway? Every little helps, but I wonder how often it will need to be applied. Of course his Special Attack is sweet all of the time.

Again, I love these threads and hashing ideas back and forth...
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM

Well, if you get initiative the 2+ range could do very well. You could hypothetically target his starting zone with Murphy. It would be a lot like using the AE grenadier tactic but you would have less risk.

If not his starting zones you would be able to hit the minute they leave their opening postitions. It could hamper their tactis quite a lot. Hoards that rely on being close to each other (Greeks, Orcs, Romans) would have to split up in order to avoid the shot.

Sure, this advantage might last only one or two turns. But that is all it would take.

Old February 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM

chezious has disabled reputation
Here is my army that I call Death From Afar

James Murphy-75
Kaemon Awa-120
Krav Maga Agents-100
Nikita Agents-120
Raelin-80
Total=495

Nikita and Raeling protect Murphy as he spreads the love with his shotgun!

Give them nothing! But take from them everything!

Good traders: Draconious, Deathjester, nbxfan, maska, The Malicious Pigpig, Who 'dat
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
I like this army a lot. It's an all-disciplined theme so that the Greeks that make up the core of it can get their +1 defense bonus:

400 points (385, actually)
------------
1. Marcus Decimus Gallus (I prefer him to Parmenio because I'd rather get a +1 attack with my Greeks than Parmenio's chance at Defy Death)
2. Sacred Band x2 (Good all around fighters and good for holding up enemy melee units)
3. James Murphy
4. Airborne Elite

450 points
------------
Add another Sacred Band OR Theracus

500 points
------------
Same as the 400 point army, but add 1. Kozuke Samurai OR 2. Izumi Samurai + Theracus OR another Sacred Band + Theracus. With any of these options, the army remains disciplined.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
I was thinking all-disciplined too.

Marcus 100
Sacred Band x 2 100
James Murphy 75
Blastatrons 60
Gladiatrons x2 160

495 Points

You have Murphy for swarms, trons for large targets, and the sacred band to handle the close quarters fighting.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
Quote:
Well, if you get initiative the 2+ range could do very well. You could hypothetically target his starting zone with Murphy. It would be a lot like using the AE grenadier tactic but you would have less risk.
The plus two range would not help the shotgun special attack. So you are only adding +2 range to his 2 die regular attack.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
James is good at two things taking out high defense squad figures and taking out grouped figures so here is my army.

James - 75
Q9 - 180
Raelin - 80
Laglor - 110
Me-Burq-Sa - 50
Total - 495

Advantages:
* Massive range James - 9, Q9 - 10, MBS - 8
* High defense/Raelin's protection, because of the range the army would be able to stay fairly stationary.
* Anti-horde, shotgun.
* Anti-squad, Quiglex gun.
* Anti-high defense units, whip and stare.
* Ability to skirmish, MBS has 8 movement and 6 range

I would move this army to what height I could find close to my starting location and then move MBS out to pick off what units he could. The rest of the army would wait looking for opportunities to use the massive range it possesses. This army virtually forces the opponent to charge it unless it wants to be picked off without responding.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntCompute
Quote:
The plus two range would not help the shotgun special attack. So you are only adding +2 range to his 2 die regular attack.
Forgot that was a special. Good eye there.

Old June 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
LtBardolph

Looks like the basics are already covered, but here goes:

110 Laglor (for added range)
100 Krav Maga (primary attackers)
120 Nakita Agents (secondary attackers + smoke powder)
075 James Murphy (anti-swarm)
080 Raelin (Everybody Loves Raylind)

485 TOTAL

Unfortunately, James Murphy will always have a niche role, being a unique unbonded figure at 75 points, but this army does a good job covering most threats, and should be extremely tough to kill. The Nakitas make a great defensive screen to protect the Krav (plus you can get them into position without sacrificing an attack!), and James Murphy can help deal with high-defense melee figures that get too close.

Against extremely tough characters like Major Q9, I would substitute Agent Carr for the Krav or the Nakitas, and use him for assassination duty.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
I use Murphy in one of my favorite armies...
He isn't usually the core but he is one of the key players.

Cyprien Esenwein 150
Sonya Esenwein 45
James Murphy 75
Eldgrim 30
Major Q10 150
Marro Warriors 50

Eldgrim grabs the most advantageous gyph (usually move or armor)
Cyprien flies around wreaking havoc with his chill touch etc...
Muphy hits grouped units and uses his whip on high defense heroes or squads
Q10 picks the units off if they start to spread out, Also acts as long range heavy hitter if necessary.
Marros and Sonya are the clean up crew.

I've had very high success with my three hero combo: Cyprien, James, Q10

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion