Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 25th, 2020, 04:58 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Orc's Power Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Do you still run that in something like a 4x400 these days?
Nope. It's extremely strong in heroes only when the format allows it. The Gencon formats have not allowed it, but the recent Online Con did, and the two finalists (myself and Vegies dad) were the two people who ran firestorm. I burninated some Hydras on the way.

The best firestorm counter in heroes only is probably something like Ornak/Brunak/Shurrak/Krug/Marcu, plus Raelin and whatever else fits. I talked Dysole into playing something like that, but she ended up hedging against other matchups a bit by dropping Shurrak for Zetacron and a Mindflayer. She very nearly beat Vegiedad's firestorm; could have gone either way.
Old August 25th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Dwarves don’t typically care about hydras either.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 25th, 2020, 05:04 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Looking more at Orc's rankings, he's got Kaemon and Q10 both at A-, which kind of answers my next question for units in that general point range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

But they can probably say the same thing for Major Q9, right? And with the exception of your rankings where he's a B+, Major Q9 has been one of the unquestioned A+ units basically since the Power Rankings existed.

(For posterity's sake, I think there were originally 4- 4th Mass, Raelin, Q9, Deathreavers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 25th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:

Quote:

But they can probably say the same thing for Major Q9, right? And with the exception of your rankings where he's a B+, Major Q9 has been one of the unquestioned A+ units basically since the Power Rankings existed.
I can’t be the only one that thinks he’s not A+ material.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 25th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Looking more at Orc's rankings, he's got Kaemon and Q10 both at A-, which kind of answers my next question for units in that general point range.

Quote:

(For posterity's sake, I think there were originally 4- 4th Mass, Raelin, Q9, Deathreavers).
I think the big difference with Q9 is that he can sit much further behind the rat screen than Hydra can, which lets him kill a lot more of the dwarves or fire elems before they get to him than Hydra.

Also, Q9 just has a much better matchup than Hydra against several of the other A armies (4th & 10th come to mind).
Old August 25th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
In defense of Chasers, they have 2 defense, but they also have 4 attack. 4/2 is better than 3/3. And they have great ways to boost their defense with Raelin and Nerak. As for the three man squad, it's vastly ameliorated by Orc Battle rush in terms of board position, you have your army slowrolled just as well as any 4 man squad can, but on the very first turn of the game. Really the only place where the 3 man squad is a problem is in melee slugfests, since Knights and Heavies or Dwarves or Romans can trade with them much better. But Deathchasers play differently from those figures, they aren't meant for slugfest games, they are meant to seize board control instantly and use that to put pressure on the opponent. Classing them as melee bonding in the traditional sense is maybe what makes this debate hard since they are so different from the slugfest melee.

I'm definitely interested in the Raelin discussion though. I think Raelin for better or worse is most important figure in Heroscape.
Agreed on Deathchasers. If anything that first movement boost is nuts IMO. I only have 1 squad, but if I had more you'd better believe I'd bet on 3x squads of em plus support against the best melee bonding armies out there.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 16th, 2020, 07:01 AM

Grey Waves wears ripped pants of awesomeness Grey Waves wears ripped pants of awesomeness Grey Waves wears ripped pants of awesomeness Grey Waves wears ripped pants of awesomeness Grey Waves wears ripped pants of awesomeness Grey Waves wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Are the unit descriptions in the first post going to be updated with the units beginning with 'C' and so on? The current descriptions have been really useful/interesting for someone who's only really played this game casually up until now. I realise that Casters of Valhalla exists and kind of fulfils this purpose already, but the episodes out so far only cover up to the B+ units and it would be really interesting to see some commentary on the B rank and lower units.
Old December 16th, 2020, 09:30 AM

Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Waves View Post
Are the unit descriptions in the first post going to be updated with the units beginning with 'C' and so on? The current descriptions have been really useful/interesting for someone who's only really played this game casually up until now. I realise that Casters of Valhalla exists and kind of fulfils this purpose already, but the episodes out so far only cover up to the B+ units and it would be really interesting to see some commentary on the B rank and lower units.
Hopefully Orc will have time to continue adding descriptions at some point but in the meantime, the old spider_poison/Jexik power rankings do have brief justifications for each unit's spot. Looking at a unit's book is also a good way to find discussion on them and what their best builds are.

~KoS, adding a "Welcome to the site!"
Old December 16th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Waves View Post
Thanks for the interest!

My time has gone down the drain with law school (especially now that it's finals week). This is on my to-do list for early 2021 (along with recording and editing a bunch more CoV episodes so I have those ready to go and can post them throughout the next semester).
Old April 3rd, 2021, 04:31 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

A few updates:

1. I'll hopefully get the rest of the descriptions up this summer.

2. A request for someone with the means and the time: I would really like to have Jexik's "What's in an OM?" color scheme in my rankings. I will (hopefully) do it this summer. However, if someone with access to the first post (admin/mod/whoever) is so inclined to take care of it before I can, I would be very grateful.
Old April 8th, 2021, 09:03 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

I'm legitimately looking for feedback on these rankings. You probably won't change my mind from A-/B+ and up (but you're certainly welcome to try!). I'm primarily interested in hearing thoughts about the more middling and poor units.

@Dysole , now's your time to shine.
Old April 8th, 2021, 09:27 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I'm legitimately looking for feedback on these rankings. You probably won't change my mind from A-/B+ and up (but you're certainly welcome to try!). I'm primarily interested in hearing thoughts about the more middling and poor units.

@Dysole , now's your time to shine.
Arrow Gruts from B+ to A-.

Last edited by Sheep; April 8th, 2021 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Edited because this is Classic only not VC inclusive

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion