Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 19th, 2022, 02:28 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!
The Summons of HotP: AotP and MTG Custom Heroscape Cards

Overview:

Welcome to Heroes of the Planes (HotP). My intent in this post is two fold. The first is to have a single location where custom Heroscape card creations based off of the AotP original three master sets can be stored and viewed along with staying true to the thematic flavor of the MTG universe. There have been several projects in the AotP threads that have been about creating custom Heroscape Cards based off of AotP, but there has not been a central thread that has captured and listed each card. Since I have now created or been a part of the creation of a fair number of custom AotP/MTG Heroscape cards I wanted to have them listed all in one space and will also try to find others throughout the AotP threads. I will also be sure to give credit to the person or persons that created the card and hopefully list the miniature that was utilized. My second intent is to create custom Heroscape cards inspired from other community member's projects where they created custom AotP cards from MTG. Key to all of this in my created custom cards is to stay true to MTG lore and themes. Although I am applying some rigor in my custom card creation process to include play testing this is not even close to the creation process that C3V/SOV and C3G team members implement. I am simply doing this due to my extreme enjoyment of playing and collecting Heroscape and wanting to contribute back to this incredible community.

Credits:
Spoiler Alert!

Playtests:
Spoiler Alert!

MTG Converted Abilities to Heroscape Special Powers:
Spoiler Alert!

Edit Notes:
Spoiler Alert!

AotP Custom Heroscape Card Conversions:

Spoiler Alert!

Guilds of Ravnica Custom Heroscape Card Conversions:

Spoiler Alert!

MTG Custom Heroscape Card Conversions:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by gatormustang; January 8th, 2023 at 07:35 PM. Reason: New title and overview to better describe the intent of the post.
Old August 20th, 2022, 12:29 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: AoTP and MTG Custom Heroscape Cards

I've been looking to create AotP cards for use in AotP, as you made with that last Omnath card. I'm primarily interested in creating quality, well-tested customs for AotP; creatures that can be summoned by Planeswalkers, additional spells, and additional Planeswalkers. Definitely looking to fill in the gaps for green & black spells, as well as make dual-color Planeswalkers which will be black/red, black/green, black/blue, blue/red, blue/white, and green/white.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 07:00 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

New addition Ullar has summoned Garruk. I created this Heroscape Custom Card with inspiration from @TechToaster AoTP Custom Card. I recreated the AoTP Custom Card using all stats from that card to match AoTP game multi-color cards.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 10:12 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormustang View Post
New addition Ullar has summoned Garruk. I created this Heroscape Custom Card with inspiration from @TechToaster AoTP Custom Card. I recreated the AoTP Custom Card using all stats from that card to match AoTP game multi-color cards.
I'd like to make a few critiques and ask you about your design choices for Garruk. Keep in mind I have very little knowledge of MTG lore and I mostly ask these questions and say these things from a game design/balance perspective in AotP:

-Garruk has the lowest base life of all AotP Planeswalkers, at 5. No official Planeswalker has less than 6 life. Is there a particular reason that you gave him 5? I ask because Sorin has 6 life, 5 power, and 4 toughness, multi-attack, and the ability to heal 2 damage per kill compared to Garruk's 1. Not only that, but Garruk heals only 1 point of damage at end of turn, where Sorin can destroy figures in combat and heal damage right there after combat, no need to reach the end of turn.

-Liliana's Grasp is severely debilitating, and IMO warrants either dropping his price to like 280, or just removing this ability altogether. Not only can he still be Despised (-1 power enchant) by other black players, but he cannot benefit from green's excellent Planeswalker power enhancers like Groundswell, Leaf Arrow, and Predatory Strike, all of which he would absolutely love to help him secure kills to proc his healing.

-In tandem with the above point: his damage output is so-so, but he is extremely frail at 5 life and 4 toughness even if he can get consistent 1 damage healing per turn. His Axe of the Apex Predator power encourages your opponent to engage him so he cannot get the +1 power bonus from attacking at range. This is somewhat mitigated by the risk of your opponent dying to black's devastating Killing Wave spell as well as Garruk's Hunt the Weak buffing his own nearby creatures. I still think it is far too easy to bum rush this version of Garruk and slay him, potentially even in a single turn given how busted some of the spell combos are (Twinflame + Seize the Day. Titanic Growth/Overrun + Paths Revealed/Snare the Skies. Essence Flux + Roilmage's Trick.) However, for those times that the bum rush fails to kill Garruk, he does have Bountiful Harvest, Altar's Reap, and Corrupt available to him for healing...

At a glance, I feel that I would be terrified to put him into a fight against anything more than 1 creature at a time, and at that I wouldn't want to go anywhere near an enemy hero when black as a color already struggles with heroes and Garruk gets none of green's destructive power boosts which would otherwise give him a much better chance at killing heroes or even other Planeswalkers. So, I think I would be hard-pressed to get him into fighting at all until most threats are removed from the board, and taking more than the first 1-2 turns with him in the early-mid game seems likely to feel bad. Given his lower price, this should mean we can fit a bit more meat into our army, so hopefully they carry more weight in the fight. I would use Garruk mostly as a cleanup figure if I were to choose him as my PW. That's not necessarily bad, as I feel Sorin is in a similar role. The difference is, Sorin has more life, a higher base attack, and no handcuffs (like Liliana's Grasp) holding him back, although I acknowledge Sorin also costs 50 points more. I usually don't mind using Sorin to fight multiple squaddies because he can hit each one and threaten multiple kills in a turn. Right now, Sorin feels more like the Apex Predator than Garruk does.

Although by nature of his black/green mix, Garruk gets savage spell combos for the Kessig Rangers. Duress + Titanic Growth + Corpse Lunge = if your opponent's PW manages to survive 3 volleys of 7 dice, they probably discarded most of the cards from their hand in the process anyway...
Old August 23rd, 2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Quote:
I'd like to make a few critiques and ask you about your design choices for Garruk. Keep in mind I have very little knowledge of MTG lore and I mostly ask these questions and say these things from a game design/balance perspective in AotP:

-Garruk has the lowest base life of all AotP Planeswalkers, at 5. No official Planeswalker has less than 6 life. Is there a particular reason that you gave him 5? I ask because Sorin has 6 life, 5 power, and 4 toughness, multi-attack, and the ability to heal 2 damage per kill compared to Garruk's 1. Not only that, but Garruk heals only 1 point of damage at end of turn, where Sorin can destroy figures in combat and heal damage right there after combat, no need to reach the end of turn.

-Liliana's Grasp is severely debilitating, and IMO warrants either dropping his price to like 280, or just removing this ability altogether. Not only can he still be Despised (-1 power enchant) by other black players, but he cannot benefit from green's excellent Planeswalker power enhancers like Groundswell, Leaf Arrow, and Predatory Strike, all of which he would absolutely love to help him secure kills to proc his healing.

-In tandem with the above point: his damage output is so-so, but he is extremely frail at 5 life and 4 toughness even if he can get consistent 1 damage healing per turn. His Axe of the Apex Predator power encourages your opponent to engage him so he cannot get the +1 power bonus from attacking at range. This is somewhat mitigated by the risk of your opponent dying to black's devastating Killing Wave spell as well as Garruk's Hunt the Weak buffing his own nearby creatures. I still think it is far too easy to bum rush this version of Garruk and slay him, potentially even in a single turn given how busted some of the spell combos are (Twinflame + Seize the Day. Titanic Growth/Overrun + Paths Revealed/Snare the Skies. Essence Flux + Roilmage's Trick.) However, for those times that the bum rush fails to kill Garruk, he does have Bountiful Harvest, Altar's Reap, and Corrupt available to him for healing...

At a glance, I feel that I would be terrified to put him into a fight against anything more than 1 creature at a time, and at that I wouldn't want to go anywhere near an enemy hero when black as a color already struggles with heroes and Garruk gets none of green's destructive power boosts which would otherwise give him a much better chance at killing heroes or even other Planeswalkers. So, I think I would be hard-pressed to get him into fighting at all until most threats are removed from the board, and taking more than the first 1-2 turns with him in the early-mid game seems likely to feel bad. Given his lower price, this should mean we can fit a bit more meat into our army, so hopefully they carry more weight in the fight. I would use Garruk mostly as a cleanup figure if I were to choose him as my PW. That's not necessarily bad, as I feel Sorin is in a similar role. The difference is, Sorin has more life, a higher base attack, and no handcuffs (like Liliana's Grasp) holding him back, although I acknowledge Sorin also costs 50 points more. I usually don't mind using Sorin to fight multiple squaddies because he can hit each one and threaten multiple kills in a turn. Right now, Sorin feels more like the Apex Predator than Garruk does.

Although by nature of his black/green mix, Garruk gets savage spell combos for the Kessig Rangers. Duress + Titanic Growth + Corpse Lunge = if your opponent's PW manages to survive 3 volleys of 7 dice, they probably discarded most of the cards from their hand in the process anyway...
@brandonwiker the design and creation of Garruk's AoTP custom card is from @TechToaster . I provided the link to that post in the credits on the home post so you can see all of the others that are a part of that project.
All I did was recreate the card using official looking templates that were created to provide better aesthetics to match the AoTP game. With that said I fully agree that the Life Stat is not as high as it should be to be utilized properly for the AoTP game play. I am only posting the AoTP custom cards to show where I obtained my inspiration from on the custom Heroscape cards that I am creating as a part of HoTP. I know that there are others like you that would like to use the custom AoTP cards so if you have suggestions on either Omnath, which I created from your provided stats or Garruk I could easily update and post them for yours and anyone else's use.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@brandonwiker the design and creation of Garruk's AoTP custom card is from @TechToaster . I provided the link to that post in the credits on the home post so you can see all of the others that are a part of that project.
All I did was recreate the card using official looking templates that were created to provide better aesthetics to match the AoTP game. With that said I fully agree that the Life Stat is not as high as it should be to be utilized properly for the AoTP game play. I am only posting the AoTP custom cards to show where I obtained my inspiration from on the custom Heroscape cards that I am creating as a part of HoTP. I know that there are others like you that would like to use the custom AoTP cards so if you have suggestions on either Omnath, which I created from your provided stats or Garruk I could easily update and post them for yours and anyone else's use.
Understood. What software do you use to create those rectangular AotP cards? It looks like you are using Arcanis' templates, I've been playing AotP with him lately, so it's really cool to see somebody using his stuff.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Understood. What software do you use to create those rectangular AotP cards? It looks like you are using Arcanis' templates, I've been playing AotP with him lately, so it's really cool to see somebody using his stuff.
I use GIMP. I have become fairly proficient with it and if there are already great templates it is really easy. I did use the templates from Arcanis. I found them on https://planeswalker-arena.boards.net/. Either he or someone else had posted them. His templates had all of the hard work done and adding a mask layer along with finding a good Garruk and Omnath image and figure for the target image made it fast and easy. If you do want me to update the Garruk AoTP custom card with a higher life stat maybe 7 or 8 let me know and I will make the change.
Old August 29th, 2022, 10:31 AM

Re: The Summons of HoTP: AoTP and MTG Custom Heroscape Card

New addition Vydar has summoned Tezzeret. I created this Heroscape Custom Card utilizing lore from MTG. From his lore it would seem he aligns well with gaining synergies with Warforged and Golems.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@brandonwiker I updated Garruk’s AoTP custom card based off your inputs. I increased his life stat to 8 and reduced his cost value to 190. I have not played tested him in an AoTP game, but this definitely seems more balanced. Since he is green and black he might be what you are looking for to add in to your game play.
Old September 4th, 2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@brandonwiker I updated Garruk’s AoTP custom card based off your inputs. I increased his life stat to 8 and reduced his cost value to 190. I have not played tested him in an AoTP game, but this definitely seems more balanced. Since he is green and black he might be what you are looking for to add in to your game play.
Very nice of you to think of me in doing that! I eventually do want to make a custom Planeswalker for each color combination missing in official AotP, so this is one step closer to that.
Old September 7th, 2022, 11:05 AM

Rise of the Leonin, Einar has summoned Ajani and Ajani's Pride. I created these Heroscape Custom Cards utilizing Ajani's lore from MTG and MTG card abilities, which are posted in the first post. "First Strike" is now incorporated from @flameslayer93 concept in the Heroscapers thread "FIRST STRIKE: How would YOU do it?" by @Confred located here: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=52284
Old September 27th, 2022, 10:20 PM

The first for the House Dimir Guild. Utgar has summoned House Dimir's Guildmaster Lazav. The custom Heroscape card can be found in the Guilds of Ravnica Custom Heroscape Card Conversions in the original page of this thread.

Last edited by gatormustang; September 28th, 2022 at 10:31 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards