Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old December 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: D&D Heroscape Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
I'm very happy with the DnD scape, don't get me wrong. I just don't see why it is considered "Classic Scape." It has new terrain, just like the Marvel set, and it has new types of figures, same as the Marvel expansion.
As has been mentioned, it's classic in the sense that all of the figures in the D&D release remain aligned with one of the Generals and are likely powered / priced in line with the existing cadre, excepting Marvel Scape.

Marvel Scape trades on the mechanics, but isn't as fully compatible with Classic Scape given the strength and cost of the heroes/villains.
True, very true..... I guess it makes sense now. So if the Heroes/Villians were with a specific General, Marvelscape would be "Classic?"

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
I'm very happy with the DnD scape, don't get me wrong. I just don't see why it is considered "Classic Scape." It has new terrain, just like the Marvel set, and it has new types of figures, same as the Marvel expansion.
As has been mentioned, it's classic in the sense that all of the figures in the D&D release remain aligned with one of the Generals and are likely powered / priced in line with the existing cadre, excepting Marvel Scape.

Marvel Scape trades on the mechanics, but isn't as fully compatible with Classic Scape given the strength and cost of the heroes/villains.
Beyond that it looks like DnD scape is integrated into the classic storyline. We have heros representing a portion of Aquilla's Alliance fighting against Utgar baddies (in what may be Vydar's caverns . . . .)

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM

Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True, very true..... I guess it makes sense now. So if the Heroes/Villians were with a specific General, Marvelscape would be "Classic?"
Assuming that they also had game mechanics that allowed them to be fully compatable with the existing content, then I am sure the arguement could be made.

Regardless of the play style though, I would expect that if they tried to pass it off as Classic Scape you would get an even greater outcry then you did for DND Scape. Interesting thought though for sure...maybe Heroscape needs some superheroes as a general genre to go with the rest.

My Customs
Winter Olympics = $6,000,000,000
Gold Medal Hockey Tickets = $2,000
Seeing an American Politician forced to wear a Canadian Jersey = Priceless
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
This is true.

Quote:
This is not. Marvel Heroscape is fully compatible with Classic Heroscape. DnD Heroscape is Classic Heroscape. That's the only distinction.

Quote:
This describes every single Heroscape set that is released with both figures and terrain. That's clearly not criteria to base any distinction like this on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrian View Post
Assuming that they also had game mechanics that allowed them to be fully compatable with the existing content, then I am sure the arguement could be made.

Regardless of the play style though, I would expect that if they tried to pass it off as Classic Scape you would get an even greater outcry then you did for DND Scape. Interesting thought though for sure...maybe Heroscape needs some superheroes as a general genre to go with the rest.
I don't think people would've cared that much, honestly. I think a lot of the DnD backlash is from figures used from a different game and because it's official when Marvel wasn't.
Oh, and also that it's the only classic Heroscape we're getting for the foreseeable future.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
This describes every single Heroscape set that is released with both figures and terrain. That's clearly not criteria to base any distinction like this on.
To me, it is Classic 'Scape because all the characters are assimilated into the main Heroscape Storyline and have been assigned generals and alliances. They are part of the Heroscape Universe now.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
To me, it is Classic 'Scape because all the characters are assimilated into the main Heroscape Storyline and have been assigned generals and alliances. They are part of the Heroscape Universe now.
Exactly.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yep, that's all we're saying.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Are you Skyknight's twin?
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM

quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker

IMO Marvel is not FULLY compatible.. I find the strength of the figures and the cost to be to a different scale than the standard Heroscape fare.

I believe that, generally speaking, Marvel 'Scape is not routinely allowed in tournament play, that would seem to suggest some inherent imbalance.

Regardless, that discussion is certinaly not the intent of this thread.

On point, it sounds like the coming figures will offer some interesting new strategies for army creation. Still, the primary selling point for me will be the game's quality as a stand-alone edition.

Traders! wk4c, Hilo-scaper, buttercup, omen20154, Nikkomon, Southwest Ninja, Mutt Lo, rudyvalentine, JRandall, neo0149, Generalgina, Gromazeka, CheddarLimbo, Mossman, Just_a_Bill, rouby44, Cavalier
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:59 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I think they work pretty well together. Marvel price costs are a lot higher, but they work. Despite being powerful, many of the Marvel heroes can still be taken out by the classic figures. I've only seen a couple of maps and Marvel hero combos that were really broken.

What a bad memory. I drafted a team of classic to battle a team of four or five superheroes. My opponent had Thanos and Spiderman. The battle had a huge mountain with an overhanging cliff. Thanos would wreak havoc until he died, then Spiderman would continually dodge attacks and swing up to where nobody could reach him without climbing the mountain, then he'd just swing down again until Thanos came back. Bad, bad game.

My biggest thing about not playing Marvel is that there aren't enough Marvel heroes to keep it interesting, and I have some OCD disorder thing that prevents me from throwing the superheroes into the mess of classic. Samurai fighting cowboys, space aliens, and giant robots is okay, but Superheroes? Come on.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
IMO Marvel is not FULLY compatible.. I find the strength of the figures and the cost to be to a different scale than the standard Heroscape fare.
You're entitled to your opinion, as is anyone else who has a wrong opinion.
Iron Man, Doctor Doom and Captain America are at a different scale the way Jotun is. Same example with Spider-man and Venom for Q10. Or Red Skull for Nilfheim. Only four of the ten figures are at a significantly higher cost than what Valhallascape has to offer, and if anything it's to the detriment of those heroes in competitive play.

Quote:
I believe that, generally speaking, Marvel 'Scape is not routinely allowed in tournament play, that would seem to suggest some inherent imbalance.
This is a common misconception, but it's simply not true. In addition to many tournaments over time allowing Heroscape with absolutely no breaking of the game or imbalance occurring, there's the fact that the Gencon tourney guys don't allow Marvel Heroscape in their main tourneys simply because while it's fully compatible, it is a completely separate game (as seen by no generals and no inclusion in the official storyline). The fact that those same guys - guys who have playtested and designed units for the game - also usually run a Marvel inclusive tournament should answer any questions about whether or not Marvel and Valhallascape are balanced together. Not to mention Craig Van Ness has been quoted as saying the two are fully compatible.

Quote:
Regardless, that discussion is certinaly not the intent of this thread.
That's true, but do these threads ever stay completely on point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I think they work pretty well together. Marvel price costs are a lot higher, but they work. Despite being powerful, many of the Marvel heroes can still be taken out by the classic figures. I've only seen a couple of maps and Marvel hero combos that were really broken.

What a bad memory. I drafted a team of classic to battle a team of four or five superheroes. My opponent had Thanos and Spiderman. The battle had a huge mountain with an overhanging cliff. Thanos would wreak havoc until he died, then Spiderman would continually dodge attacks and swing up to where nobody could reach him without climbing the mountain, then he'd just swing down again until Thanos came back. Bad, bad game.
Huge mountain, huh? Sounds like the map was broken, not the units. Thanos was broken on that map, but the AE would have been as well. And Theracus + Syvarris. Heck, even an Elf Wizard army could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
My biggest thing about not playing Marvel is that there aren't enough Marvel heroes to keep it interesting, and I have some OCD disorder thing that prevents me from throwing the superheroes into the mess of classic. Samurai fighting cowboys, space aliens, and giant robots is okay, but Superheroes? Come on.
I've just never understood that particular brand of OCD ...
Honestly, though, the only reason I've ever really mixed isn't because I like incorporating superheroes into Valhalla, but because I like incorporating more figures into the world of superheroes (which I find much more interesting than Valhalla, honestly. No surprise there, right?). As of late, though, I've found a better solution, so soon enough I'll be doing very little if any mixing at all.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Not compatible...

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion