Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old November 28th, 2014, 02:07 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!
Re: WARGROUNDS of SCAPE (WoS) - discussion thread

I thought you guys might need a cool logo to go with the project:

~NS

Last edited by Ninja Status; November 28th, 2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added larger version.
Old November 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post

~NS
Awesome, just awesome. Thanks NS.

Love how the logo takes hexes as its unifying design feature, but renders them as if they were links in a chain, or stencilled lettering. Really striking.

I've put it in the OP, as our new header.

EDIT: added thanks to @Ninja Status (for our logo) and @awesomeunleashed (for our badge) in the OP as well.
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Remains of Cionesia by tannergx

Overall design and aestetic:
Remains of Clionesia is one of the many maps using 1RotV and 1FotA. Personally I find many of this maps more beautiful than Remains of Clionesia, but this map is still ok in this criteria.
Just by looking at it you start to guess all the stuff you could do on this map and it give the urge to play.

Balance
It's the kind of maps I prefer: melee-friendly-but-with room-for-shooters maps.
Once the melee army is in the fortress, it's quite difficult for a ranged army but if the ranged army manage to clean the fortress, it has a free reign over the the startzone. Because it's quite difficult to re-enter in the startzone for common squads, there is only one big entry, other entries "cut" the movement a lot.
That's this "snowball" effect that I was worried of. I you lead with a good ranged hero (Q9), and you clean'up the squad figures on the fortress I thought it can be very difficult to delocate the hero.
But after a few tests I found that's it's not impossible at all, because the LoS in the fortress are limited, and a map that is good for heroes is not bad at all. Plus you have good thing for squads too: the 2 glyphs on the sides, hero-based armies will have big trouble getting them.
So overall a good melee vs range balance and a good hero vs squads balance. So a nice overall balance.
But what about the A/A+ units? Do they dominate?
Well I already talked about how Q9 can be strong on this map, the same applies for the rats, well played they're a pain to deal with on this map (like on mostly any map anyway).
And Raelin? Well I completely disagree with Kevindola here, Raelin is extremly strong on this map, she can go on the best spots in one move, and she has several very good placements possible, more or less aggresive.
In brief nothing is made to make this figures less strong. It could be a major drawback but the next paragraph saves the day.

Playability
So yes the A+ units fully deserve their rank on this map butit's not a big deal to me, we are not in 2010 anymore, "straight up one army" formats don't exist anymore. So as long as the games with these figures are fun it's good.
And god they were, because as the goal on this map is to take control of the fortress and then snowball, you just cannot camp. So if you have rats you have to go forward with them not just let them near your ranged-hero in Rae's aura. If you have Q9 you have to constantly move because of LoS blockers. And with Raelin she's huge on this map if well played, but here well played means with risks taken and with a lot of choices to do.
I found Raelin mirrors very enjoyable on this map.

Yes the "snowball" effect can be hard to suffer, but you have to adapt your strategy before you get behind, so you don't lose all the board control and your chances of winning the game on one bad defense roll.

An other good thing on the playability of this map is that in almost every game the whole map is used, every single hex have an importance in this map, this is very enjoyable.

Conclusion
Yes this map has some drawbacks, but the overall design and playability is too good to pass out.
I vote Yes to induct Remains of Clionesia in the WoS.

Old November 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would like to nominate The Borogoves for WoS review. Full disclosure, I'm a huge Typhon2222 fanboy and feel most of his maps are worthy of nomination, but this is a good place to start.

I had the opportunity to build and play this map at a local game day/tournament. It's not only aesthetically pleasing, it has the choices and balance to offer interesting plays with a variety of units. Love the quick access to the shadowy and jungle-boosted middle, but there are a ton of places to gain height and the sides cannot be overlooked with their extra height and some line of sight protection. It's an all-around great build and I believe it's worthy of WoS consideration.

The Borogoves (v11) Download PDF
Uses: 2 BftU, 1 TJ

Here is the link to the .hsc file for The Borogoves.

Last edited by rudyvalentine; November 30th, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old November 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

@rudyvalentine , thanks hugely for nominating The Borogoves (perhaps my personal favorite). It's an honor indeed.

Looks as if I won't be reviewing this one....
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Here's a link to the .hsc file for The Borogoves. @rudyvalentine , would you mind adding it to the nomination post?

EDIT: Thanks rudyvalentine.

Last edited by Typhon2222; December 1st, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post

~NS
Awesome, just awesome. Thanks NS.

Love how the logo takes hexes as its unifying design feature, but renders them as if they were links in a chain, or stencilled lettering. Really striking.

I've put it in the OP, as our new header.

EDIT: added thanks to @Ninja Status (for our logo) and @awesomeunleashed (for our badge) in the OP as well.
Doh, @Ninja Status made our badge as well as our logo. OP updated.

Why did I think @awesomeunleashed had made it? Because he does so many of the top-downs? Which reminds me... he needs that recognition in the OP.

EDIT: done.

I wonder if he'd be willing to make a top-down of The Borogoves (v11) as well...
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'll vote NO to induct The Borogoves in the WoS.

I didn't play the v11 at all but from what I can see on the picture, the problems I pointed out in Typhon's thread are not solved.

I usually don't like two hills maps, especially those with the hills far from each other, espcially those with shadow in the middle instead of road.

So from here, the map has to bring something very special, and The Borogoves does not. It has even more problems such as the incredibly good spot adjacent to the 3 hexes rock spike, and the overall extremly easy access to height. For more information refer to my post from about 2 years ago in Typhon's thread.

The fact that it needed 11 versions, is also not a good sign, it's not normal for a map. Usually if a map is good it is not modified so much.

I'd say it's the only map in the whole Typhon's thread that I don't like.
It's still better than Sirocco (which is one of the worst BoV maps imo) but there is still too many cons.

I sure had some cool games on this map but I had too many (=more than 1) kinda boring games on it to induct it.

Old December 1st, 2014, 08:51 PM

I'd give Foudzing more rep for that candid review if I could.
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:50 PM

Woot, the Wargrounds of Scape featured in the newest installment of Month@HSers!

Thanks @Ninja Status .
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:54 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Woot, the Wargrounds of Scape featured in the newest installment of Month@HSers!

Thanks @Ninja Status .
Your very welcome. This project seems to be going well, I'm glad to have helped out where I could

~NS
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:03 PM

Mayberry by Mad_Wookie

Overall design : Well I didn’t have the chance to see Mayberry in real, but it seems that the town design is very well made. I think it’s a good eastetic result using unconventionnal sets.

Balance :
Let’s start with the most immportant : the melee vs range machup. I find Mayberry pretty balance, sure it’s not the most melee friendly map, but it’s ok, the hills are not so easy so grab because of the walls and with how the hills are placed you can’t snowball much with range (easier to snowball with a big hill in the middle like on Blacktop for exemple).
The road is not as awesome as what we can see in other maps, but still usefull.
Of course a Q9 well etablished on the hill will cause you big trouble this ill happen on most of the maps, the hill are not easy to grab for Q9.
Theyre easy for dragons, but as the map is very open, the dragons abilities are reduced.
Rats or Raelin don’t give more trouble than on other maps.

Playability :
While the playability is not an absolute blast, it’s straight up OK to me, I played all the configurations (melee vs range, melee vs melee, range vs range) with figures that can be kinda boring, and none of the games had something boring or annoying in them. This maps offers a lot of strategic possibilities and even if you have range edge, the « stay on your hill and wait » is far to be the go-to strategy in every situation (which was my fear at first glance).

Conclusion :
While Mayberry is not the map of the year, it’s perfectly fine for a tournament setup. Having in mind that there is very few good tournaments maps using the Marvel set (Jack of Spades, Blacktop, Mohr, and some Gamebear’s maps is all I have in mind ) you can « burn » them in Mayberry to easily add a map in the map pool.
Very few people have 2 Marvel sets, but for the lucky who do, Mayberry is a great addition.
I vote YAY to induct Mayberry in the WoS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios