Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old June 13th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Help With Wurdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Sanity check on Flowing Ooze?

Have you thought about how it works with roads? A single ooze on a road and adjacent to another ooze could potentially slingshot a trailing ooze 20 spaces or more in even a moderately large ooze horde.
Even without roads an ooze can be slingshot 20 spaces or more with a sufficiently large blob. In practice, though, it's much more difficult than you'd think. Nor valuable; rushing your blob headlong into your opponent's forces just gives you lots of dead oozes.

Your point about roads is a valuable one. It's a bit nuts how well an ooze can move along a road (due to the flat +3 along with the relative flatness of roads). But it's not worth trying to force another power on the crowded card to prevent it.
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

No worries, Scytale. It's not like I'm sitting here thinking it's overpowered, just that there are some stupid ooze tricks that can be played. Moving your ooze becomes an exercise in marble madness, banking off height changes, sliding along roads and bouncing just right into bottlenecks

Fun!

~Aldin, getting oozed to the idea

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 13th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
No worries, Scytale. It's not like I'm sitting here thinking it's overpowered, just that there are some stupid ooze tricks that can be played. Moving your ooze becomes an exercise in marble madness, banking off height changes, sliding along roads and bouncing just right into bottlenecks

Fun!
Exactly right. It seems so simple to roll up and Engulf somebody... until you actually try it. The "adjacent to two" restriction makes it surprisingly tricky when it's anything but a flat, open map.

And thank you D_S, for the wording suggestions. Numerous suggestions in my customs thread helped to refine the wording and your suggestions will help even more. It's still a complicated power, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for how well it works.
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Looking forward to trying the Ooze out as a neutral foe in a free for all game. It as an extremely creative design and looks like it would be super fun to get in a game. We usually play C3G though, so I may bump up its stats a tiny bit. Well done.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:

Fun!
Exactly right. It seems so simple to roll up and Engulf somebody... until you actually try it. The "adjacent to two" restriction makes it surprisingly tricky when it's anything but a flat, open map.

And thank you D_S, for the wording suggestions. Numerous suggestions in my customs thread helped to refine the wording and your suggestions will help even more. It's still a complicated power, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for how well it works.
You're welcome, Scy, thank you for the opportunity to leave my fingerprint, however light, on one of your excellent customs. I don't think it's bad that it's a complex power. I was commenting on its complexity only as an introduction to how I saw my task, in relation to this particular card. It looks like a lot of fun; I hope it plays the way it looks like it wants to.

As you noted in your own customs thread, the scariness of Engulf is at least partly mitigated by the fact that it's Ooze with the OM on it that has to do the attacking. That, along with the preference for placing a flowing Ooze alongside two of its brethren, where possible, should keep the power from dominating a game.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

And now, the Blackwater Cultist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

Frenzied Mob

After taking a turn with a Blackwater Cultist, roll the 20-sided die, adding one to your roll for each additional Blackwater Cultist, you control within 3 clear sight spaces to a maximum of +5 to your roll. If you roll a 15 or higher, you may take another turn with that Blackwater Cultist or another Blackwater Cultist you control within 3 clear sight spaces.
Hmm...
After taking a turn with this Blackwater Cultist, roll the 20-sided die. Add one to your roll for each Blackwater Cultist you control within 3 clear sight spaces, to a maximum of +5 to your roll. If you roll a 15 or higher, you may take another turn with this Blackwater Cultist or another Blackwater Cultist you control within 3 clear sight spaces.
That's mostly just shuffling around punctuation, but I think it's better this way. Again, I'm not editing for rules; I'm editing for words.

Quote:
Occult Conversion
Instead of attacking with a Blackwater Cultist, you may choose an adjacent Small or Medium common figure that is also adjacent to at least one other Blackwater Cultist you control. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, you may immediately replace that figure with one of your previously destroyed Blackwater Cultists, if possible.
Looks good, but I'm going to suggest alternatives to "Occult Conversion":

1. Occult Brainwash
2. Brainwash

I'm partial to the simple "Brainwash" myself, but I leave it up to you.

Thanks for sharing your custom with me, SF, I like what you have going on with the theme here.

Quote:
Thanks!
My pleasure!

= =
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:51 AM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

I know this isn't very relevant to the subject but, the Blackwater Cultists remind me of the los iluminados from resident evil 4, is that what they are based on thematically wise?

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

IshMEL's Lord Revadac:
Lord Revadac

Miasma of Pestilence 11
When Lord Revadac receives one or more wounds from an adjacent figure's normal attack, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, the attacking figure receives one wound. Miasma of Pestilence does not affect Undead, Construct, or Soulborg figures.

Fit of Madness
Before taking a turn with Lord Revadac, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-2, Lord Revadac must either attack a friendly Squad figure this turn, or take one wound at the end of this turn.

Undead Attack Aura
All friendly Undead figures adjacent to Lord Revadac roll an additional attack die when making a normal attack.
Thanks, IshMEL, for sharing this excellent custom with the SoV and with the rest of us who follow that thread.

I like the name of the hero. When I think "cadaver," I normally think of something a medical student would dissect and not a mighty undead fiend, but it mostly works.

I have three problems with "Miasma of Pestilence 11," all of which have to do with the name of the power. First of all, this is a power that is clearly named especially for this unit. So the "11" can (and should) be dropped, in order to get the most out of the punch of the colorful name.

Second, a "miasma" is a cloud. It does not come and go. You explained that the idea is that it's like dust bursting from a cushion, which makes sense thematically. I don't think it's properly a "miasma," though; perhaps a "vapor" or a "fume." Also, I *love* the idea of a power using the word "miasma." If the canon is really missing one thing, it's that word, which is a good one.

Third, the "of" doesn't work there. Unlike "Fit of Madness," the second thing (pestilence) isn't really a type of the first thing (miasma). If you want to use the two words together, there is a simpler way: Pestilential Miasma. That works.

The cleanest resolutions for the second issue involve dropping the word miasma or changing the power, and I'm not crazy about either of those options. Either make it a proximity thing, or change it to "Pestilential Fumes" or something, but if you really like "Pestilential Miasma" I'd understand.

My ideal solution, as an editor and not a designer, is make Pestilential Miasma something that hits when you come next to him, maybe regardless of whether you are friend or foe. That would be cool. But that's not the unit you created.

Thanks again for sharing!

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; June 20th, 2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: cleaned up & clarified
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

If it only has a range of 1, is the Undead Attack Aura really an Aura? Shouldn't it read "Undead Attack Enhancement", per Marcus Decimus Gallus, Arktos, etc.? The only figures (I found quickly) with a Range-1 Aura are Finn and Thorgrim, but their enhancements are universal rather than specific to Soldiers, Hunters, Undead, etc.
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Good catch, SoA.

= =
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:46 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks Dad_Scaper for your help. With the wurdz.

The name for MOP11 was originally Cadaverous Touch, and a discussion on this power's name starts here and goes on for a few pages if you want to see how it evolved with community input. Here are some of the names that were suggested:

Cadaverous Blight
Necrotic Infection
Withering Grasp
Cadaverous Grasp
Cadaverous Blight
Cadaverous Cloud
Curse of the Crypt
Aura of Death
Deathly Touch
Deathly Retribution
Putrid
Deadly Rot
Chilling Wound
And, recently, Pestilential Curse.

Personally, I like "Necrotic Infection" or "Cadaverous Grasp" but that may be because I came up with them. If you get close enough to wound him, you may get infected somehow. (He grabs you? Sneezes on you?) Some others had suggested the "cloud" aspect so we ended up with Miasma. (Now I'm going to take it as a personal challenge to come up with another custom with a "Misama" power!) But the "cloud" idea isn't necessary.

The "11" was suggested (I think in the 3FG) because someone said the power might get reused with a different set of odds. (I originally had an attack die roll instead of a d20 roll, I think.) But that's easily dropped.

So, any thoughts on what I should name the power? Something from the list above? Something else entirely?

Oh, and thanks SoA for the catch on Aura vs. Enhancement. I'll fix that too.

Thanks again for your help!
Old June 21st, 2014, 02:30 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Thank you for the history there, IshMEL. I can see it was a difficult choice.

If what's happening, thematically, is the release of something toxic similar to the dust from a battered cushion, I like "Cloud" from that list of nouns. Grasp, Curse, Wound, and Retribution all imply some affirmative action by Revadac, but this seems like a passive defense. So "Cloud."

"Cadaverous" seems just a little redundant on his name. Deathly and Chilling have been done; Withering doesn't seem quite right to me. I like Infectious or Pestilential. Necrotic is also good, and has the advantage of being one of your own choices, so I would go with Necrotic Cloud.

Thanks again for sharing!

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; June 21st, 2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: bit of a shame about the loss of "miasma," though. get on that, pre-sov people! :-)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards