Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: When do we do this thing?
May 17 1 9.09%
May 24 (Memorial Day Weekend) 3 27.27%
May 31 3 27.27%
June 7 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
DFW Modular Map Tourney - June 21st - NRH, TX

The second official* tournament of the year is one where we bend the classic rules to force players to look at the game from a different angle. In some ways it's less serious** than our normal tournaments, but only because we're willing to try something unique in a large format to see if it works.

This go-round I happen to be spearheading the logistics on this thing. I've been wanting to do something completely new for awhile now, and I think it's going to be Modular Maps, or MOPs for short. The inspiration and creator of this system is GaryLASQ, but the following guidelines are were hashed out in this thread and are still open for feedback and changes (which I'm asking be made there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Date and Time
June 21st
11:00am - 5:00pm
Demonstration of MOP setup will occur prior to the start of Round 1. It would be great if we could start Round 1 before Noon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Location
The North Richland Hills public library
9236 Cardinal Dr
N Richland Hills, TX 76180
(817) 427-6800
GOOGLE MAP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost
THIS TOURNAMENT IS FREE. That's right, F - R - E - E!! You've got enough stuff to bring, why make you bring money?!

HOWEVER, there will be a prize table! Please bring a prize worth about $10 or more dollars, or, if you have more time than money, create something really cool that you honestly believe someone will want. If they don't, you'd better pick it first!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournament Guidelines
(1 - Setup) All tournament participants are required to bring 2 MOP's based on the following requirements:
--- Each mop has 5 hexes to a side and is hexagonal shaped like the vanilla ones pictured below.
--- Passable terrain should be no more than 7 hexes high from the table at its highest point (IOW, 6 high from the base tile). The exception to this is Castle walls. If you use Castle walls in your MOP, it must be accessible to non-flying figures with a Move of 4.
--- At least 2 edges of each MOP must be level one passable terrain. These must be used for starting zones when orienting the MOP you draft.
--- Above all else, build your MOP to contribute to everyone having fun, not to fit the army you're bringing. Be creative! But be fair.
--- Each player is responsible for bringing a starting zone comprised of normal, non-liquid terrain only and built with one 7-hex tile, and two 3-hex tiles in the following shape:

------ This will be attached to the final map in the central niche created by a player's two drafted MOPs.
--- Players also bring 450 point armies utilizing a maximum of 23 starting spaces and all their various game pieces as normal.
--- The Tournament Director will have several extra MOPs on hand just in case someone forgets to bring theirs or happens to misread these guidelines and brings something he deems unfit for fair play. This decision is made entirely at the discretion of the TD.
--- Upon entering the tournament, each player's MOPs are imbued with a sticker bearing his or her name and then randomly placed around the tables. There should be 4 MOPs for each pairing.
--- All snow tiles will be treated as Normal Snow and ice tiles treated as Slippery Ice.
--- It is asked, but not required, that when building a map with Road tiles, you attempt to have the roads "exit" your MOP in the center of the edges to allow for the possibility of connecting Roads between MOPs.

(2 - Matches) Players are paired normally by Swiss-style and prepare for their match as follows-
--- Players first roll d20's. The higher roller (who we'll call Red) chooses the first MOP and places it on his left, orienting it so that any of the level one edges runs along the lower right side. The lower roller (who we'll call Blue) chooses the second and third MOPs and orients them in front of her so that the inside edges are level 1 passable terrain. The 3 MOPs need only be pushed up adjacent to one another, not attached! Then the Red player orients the last MOP legally, and pushes it adjacent to the map to form a diamond shape. Finally, each player attaches their starting wedge between the two MOPs they drafted. See the picture below for an example of this:

In the example above, Red chose the Sand MOP first. Blue chose the lava rock MOP and rock MOP and the three were attached diagonally. Blue was left with the Grass MOP. These were attached so that the overall map has a diamond shape.
--- The Starting Wedge and adjacent 5, level-one tiles from each MOP form a 23-space starting zone. (I will alter the picture above to reflect this.)
--- Each player then selects a random glyph and places it face-up in any passable terrain space on the 2 MOPs occupied by his or her opponent.
--- The match then proceeds as normal.
--- At the end of the match, the map is separated into the original 4 MOPs.
--- Between rounds, the MOPs are shuffled either by each player moving 2 of them to his left (wrapping around the ends of tables), or splitting one left and one right or some other method determined by the TD.

* Official is a loose term, given that we're a sort of confederation of players loosely organized though these boards. Eventually (we hope) WotC will be endowing that moniker on their tourneys.

** Insofar as we take anything seriously, which is to say very little. Except for beer. We take that very seriously.

Last edited by Velenne; June 21st, 2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
As far as the Date goes, I'm thinking of late in May after some folks are finished with school and before their summer school starts up.

As far as the Location goes, I'd love to get JGilligan's again but I understand there's some kind of snag with that. Imax?
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Cool! Thanks for setting the thread up (and the tourney behind it)!
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm not usually interested in map design but this looks like fun.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
that does look like fun

so no limit on what kinda of terrain as long as the the edges are flat ie 1 hex tall

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Velenne, I have a question regarding the setup. In the rules you're using it says "passable terrain should not be more than 6 levels at its highest point".

This may be dumb, but...does this mean the total height (except Castle Walls) of the MOP is 6 height?

Or does it mean 6 height from the adjacent hexes. For example, if I built a 2-level flat map just inside the outer edge hexes, (for a total height of 3) and then built a column right in the center of the MOP 5-levels high (for a total height of is this acceptable. Adjacent it's less than 6 high, but overall it's 8 high.

Does this question make sense or do I need to reword it?

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I'm in. (of course)

I will review and have feedback and generally play devil's advocate through out the process.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym
Velenne, I have a question regarding the setup. In the rules you're using it says "passable terrain should not be more than 6 levels at its highest point".

This may be dumb, but...does this mean the total height (except Castle Walls) of the MOP is 6 height? <snip>
You're right, that's not perfectly clear. The total height of the MOP should be 7-- 6 up from the bottom tile. I'll clarify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
I will review and have feedback and generally play devil's advocate through out the process.
Great...
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Thanks Velenne

Now, how to design a non-4th mass-dominating,non AE-dropping, non Q9 friendly, stinger-resistant, rat-proof MOP.......

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I mentioned my concerns about the start zone issues in the other thread. I don't think that my concerns were ever really addressed. Now we have this new thread. Am I to assume we are to continue the discussion here?

Is it true that the Marro Hive will be banned from this tourney?

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:31 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: DFW Modular Map Tourney - Date and Location TBA

I think Velenne was looking for feedback and changes to still take place in the original thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne's firstl post in this thread
The inspiration and creator of this system is GaryLASQ, but the following guidelines are were hashed out in this thread and are still open for feedback and changes (which I'm asking be made there).
I made a post there that I think is a happy compromise. (at least IMO)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I mentioned my concerns about the start zone issues in the other thread. I don't think that my concerns were ever really addressed. Now we have this new thread. Am I to assume we are to continue the discussion here?

Is it true that the Marro Hive will be banned from this tourney?
As the Hive can't even move, I would hope that reasonable people would let it take 3 hexes not in the original start zone. However, at the tourney level, sometimes being reasonable is a hard sell

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events