Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM

omen20154 is surprisingly tart
Big Army Beatdowns

I don't know if this is really the right place to post this thread, if its not then any moderators or there feel free to move it to the right forum. Ok, now having said that, lets start the thread. I was just wondering how many of you out there play with big armies. I have a regular gaming group that I play with about once a week. We play with 1000 point armies. To accomidate these larger armies I also use the order markers from the SOTM master set. We play order markers 1-4 of ROTV (blue markers) then 1-4 of SOTM (green markers) thus having 8 moves in one round. the games tend to take a little bit longer. Arround 2hrs if you have experienced players. The epic battles seem to be more exciting for me. So what size armies do you play with?
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker
Re: Big Army Beatdowns

We never go obove 600. Otherwise, it can drag for hours as we are usually 4 or more.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Kaemon n' Raelin Dude is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Well I have three different playing partners who prefer different size games.

1. 500
2. 650
3. 700

The day I will stop loving Heroscape... The same day pickles will sing and sharks will fly.
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Panopticon knows what's in an order marker Panopticon knows what's in an order marker

We always play 1000 pt games in my HS group. However, we don't use double the amount of order markers. It seems that there would actually be no time advantage to doing this. Though I agree, the epic 1000 pt games are my preference. 3 player games usually last about 4 hours, but I've played a 5 player game that went in excess of 10 hours! Pretty intense.
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

There is some discussion that might relate to this here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=18017
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

I often play 800-1000 point games. I don't believe that you can truly get the feel for a General Army Battle without playing a giant game with armies consisting of one General. These battles really show the true synergy within each General, and allow for a different type of gameplay. I usually play with the normal order markers of 1-3, X, however we sometimes substitute the X for a 4. Managing 8 order markers at once would just be a little bit too much, and it would make things a bit chaotic. The only problem with the 4th order marker being an X is that everyone knows what your 4th move is going to be, and therefore it is often times worthless since your opponent knows exactly how to counter it before it happens.

Some of my favorite matches are large-scale games, and my friends at our Heroscape Game Days always want to do one. Since we sometimes play with a younger boy, who I believe is around 10-12 years old, we usually have to play a large scale battle.

It all depends on what kind of scaper you are on how much you enjoy different aspects of the game. If you want to play on a huge map or play a scenario, large scale, high point battles is the way to go. If you are more of a competitive BoV map player, then 400-600 points is the best fit.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

We've done several 1000 point games, with only 3 order markers. In fact, I think we've done far more 1000 pt battles than <1000 pt battles.

EDIT: However we seldom if ever increased the start zone.

Last edited by RageAngel; June 5th, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

I don't do 1000 point games all that often, but when I do I don't change any of the rules. Two armies I've used:

Hax Romana
4x Roman Legionnaires 200
Marcus 300
4x 4th Mass 580
Sgt Drake (SotM) 750
Airborne Elite 860
Ne-Gok-Sa 950
Me-Burq-Sa 1000

Fun with Ornak
Ornak 100
Raelin 180
Krug 300
Deathwalker 9K 440
Deathwalker 8K 570
Mimring 720
Marcu 740
Grimnak 860
2x Heavy Gruts 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM

holylink718 knows what's in an order marker holylink718 knows what's in an order marker

I rarely play with less than 1000 points. For some reason, 1000 seems to be the magic number when it comes to army size. I can reasonably draft a good, solid army with at least a little synergy and/or bonding using any of the generals (except Aquilla, though I don't have any anyway ). I've played bigger (no more than 1500 points, though), but we usually stick with themed armies (that is, sticking to one general) and thus, stay with 1000 points, as I can really only go 1500 with Utgar (and very easily, I may add).

P.S. We always trade the X order marker for a 4. In my opinion, the X rarely comes into play (that is, tricking your opponent with the placement). Usually, it's pretty obvious what your opponent wants to do.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Good trades with: lharles

Holylink718's Repaints
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:40 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Never gone above 500.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

I prefer 500 points, but when I do use 1000 plus, we start one day and finish another (since my cousin is in and out a lot).

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Those of you who play 1000 point armies; what do you do about starting zone size? Do you keep it at 24 hexes, expand it to a specific larger size, or go "no limit?" Thanks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion