Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Dignan's Maps - New Map 8/20

I played on Shiver several times at GenCon 2013, and I'd say it's it good map. The start zones force you to split your forces or force you to funnel them over to the other side if you don't do that.

However, for GenCon purposes I felt it was too large. It was certainly the largest map there. The two corners perpendicular to the start zones saw little to no action, and the immediate uphill climb slowed the action from the start.

If there was some way to streamline the map along the axis of the river itself and maybe reduce and/or push back the climb, then I think it could be a great GenCon map.

EDIT: Crisp actually looks like a step in the right direction. Maybe if you could make a 1 TT version of that, it could be given a whirl?
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:22 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I played on Shiver several times at GenCon 2013, and I'd say it's it good map. The start zones force you to split your forces or force you to funnel them over to the other side if you don't do that.

However, for GenCon purposes I felt it was too large. It was certainly the largest map there. The two corners perpendicular to the start zones saw little to no action, and the immediate uphill climb slowed the action from the start.

If there was some way to streamline the map along the axis of the river itself and maybe reduce and/or push back the climb, then I think it could be a great GenCon map.

EDIT: Crisp actually looks like a step in the right direction. Maybe if you could make a 1 TT version of that, it could be given a whirl?
Yeah, I can't please them all at GenCon (or anywhere for that matter ). Shiver was made larger to avoid first turn Z-Bombs that many players complained about with most of my other maps (especially when they were used at GenCon). I personally prefer a shorter map with quicker action, but decided to go the conservative route and make a larger map. Sorry it didn't work out for you

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old August 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Update 8/20

Well, it's been a busy summer, but I've finally gotten around to posting another map. Sorry for the delay, I hope if was worth it. I'm personally pretty happy with this map. I've been trying to make this map for some time now and I just never really liked what I ended up with. Here, I think I've finally captured the feel I was looking for. Anyway, I hope you guys like it.

Map:
Crisp
Date Uploaded: 08/20/13
Requires: 1 RotV, 2 TT
normal snow, normal ice
This map looks really nice. Very aesthetically pleasing. However, it looks like it could make for some very long games, and it looks like it would still be very open, despite all the cover.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Huh, I just realized that my two longest games at Gencon (my only game that went to time, and by far my longest game in day 2 of the championship where we are given a bunch of extra time) were both on Shiver. That said, I don't think I would blame the size of the map either time. Both of those games had an extended period of cat and mouse. I suppose the double hills and the glaciers do make that more likely, but I liked Shiver, FWIW.

I'm surprised that you elevated the startzones to level 2 on Crisp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Clerics in D&D are not adept at fighting.

Online Heroscape!
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Yeah, I can't please them all at GenCon (or anywhere for that matter ). Shiver was made larger to avoid first turn Z-Bombs that many players complained about with most of my other maps (especially when they were used at GenCon). I personally prefer a shorter map with quicker action, but decided to go the conservative route and make a larger map. Sorry it didn't work out for you
If you want to avoid the Z-bomb, then you must plan for the Z-bomb. I understand the trepidation, but Z gets a bad rap IMO.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM

Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun Dignan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
This map looks really nice. Very aesthetically pleasing. However, it looks like it could make for some very long games, and it looks like it would still be very open, despite all the cover.
Thanks. Yeah, the map is a little on the large side. Luckily there isn't a ton of elevation changes to slow armies down from getting at each other, but it is a larger map than I typically make.

Quote:
Huh, I just realized that my two longest games at Gencon (my only game that went to time, and by far my longest game in day 2 of the championship where we are given a bunch of extra time) were both on Shiver. That said, I don't think I would blame the size of the map either time. Both of those games had an extended period of cat and mouse. I suppose the double hills and the glaciers do make that more likely, but I liked Shiver, FWIW.
I think that the general layout of Shiver lends itself to prolonged games. Like you said, the double hills can get you into some cat and mouse situations. Shiver went through a bunch of changes and the start zones were actually in the opposite corners originally (starting behind the hills), but the map just didn't work that way.

Quote:
I'm surprised that you elevated the startzones to level 2 on Crisp.
The idea behind the map is that part of it is melting and breaking away, so I elevated the start zones to give the appearance that the low ground stuff is below you. It also helps players get to each other quicker. The map is pretty long and the elevated start zone saves you a space of movement right off the bat.

Quote:
If you want to avoid the Z-bomb, then you must plan for the Z-bomb. I understand the trepidation, but Z gets a bad rap IMO.
Yeah, when I make a map for my own purposes or local tournaments, I pretty much ignore Z-bombs (for the most part). But in past years there has been some feedback from GenCon players that they didn't like this, etc. I tried to generate a map that would be as un-controversial as possible and hence I tried to keep Z-Bombs from happening.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old August 24th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death!

I thought Shiver was a pretty solid map. My biggest issue with it is double space denial though. Obviously if you are going to pod on Shiver it is a ton better to go right than to go left, and the right side is just so easily defensible. Two squads figures placed where the purple arrows are in the picture below make it literally impossible for a double spaced figure to get adjacent to the figures shooting at him. In a practice game, I was able to kill Krug by denying the double space right as he arrived on the low ground road, then blasting him with Stingers as he made a futile attempt to walk over to the healing glyph. It's so easy to set up and so frustrating to play against.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM

Re: Dignan's Maps - New Map 10/2

Update 10/2

This one might be a little under cooked, but I was really excited with how this one turned out. We've had a lot of fun playing on it and hopefully you will too.

Map:
Blaze
Date Uploaded:
10/02/13
Requires:
1 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 VW

Last edited by Dignan; October 3rd, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:50 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice, I love that set combo. This is another big map. I like how bringing up reinforcements forces the battlefield to shift. You can't bring them all up the same path. Another thing that is nice is that the broken line startzones allow them to be closer while still mitigating Zelrig's power.

Also, you list only one RttF set.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:01 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla GaryLASQ is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Dignan, we used some of your maps at a game day event I hosted. Thanks for the maps!
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:56 AM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Update 10/2

This one might be a little under cooked, but I was really excited with how this one turned out. We've had a lot of fun playing on it and hopefully you will too.

Map:
Blaze
Date Uploaded:
10/02/13
Requires:
1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 VW

What's in those holes right behind the wall adjacent to the 4-hex trees? I'm assuming it's not shadow tiles (though it sure looks like with the camera views).

Very nice map by the way.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
Quote:
Update 10/2

Map:
Blaze
Date Uploaded:
10/02/13
Requires:
1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 VW

What's in those holes right behind the wall adjacent to the 4-hex trees? I'm assuming it's not shadow tiles (though it sure looks like with the camera views).

Very nice map by the way.
Molten lava by the looks of it.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

google sheets:
ohs link generator/attack outcomes

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios