Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old March 25th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
We played our recently-acquired Valley of the Kings: Afterlife a couple times. It's a gorgeous little deckbuilder, with an ancient Egypt theme. Afterlife is the standalone expansion, it plays exactly like the base game which I don't own but I'd like to get.

The twist on the usual deckbuilder formula is this: You acquire stronger and stronger cards as the game goes on, and you can use them for powerful abilities, but when the game ends, you only score the ones you've put in your tomb, where they have no effect. So you need to get the strong cards, but as KidScaper found out in our second game, your stronger deck can lose to a weaker one, if the weaker one did a slightly better job of stashing sets in the tomb. It was close, though: 81-79.

I really enjoyed playing a game where he had to get a little AP, because normally I'm the one.

We first played a couple years ago, when, @akden will recall, the designer of the game himself taught us how to play. But I only just got my copy a couple weeks ago, and I'm glad I did.
I do remember him. He was a very nice guy. I bought one of the last copies of the original game at the AEG booth the next day, and he signed it for me. It's a neat little deck builder with a fun theme.
Old March 26th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Got in my first play of Defenders of the Realm which is kind of like fantasy Pandemic. I like it more than Pandemic, though, and I like Pandemic. The different fantasy roles are fun and I think there's enough strategy there to sink my teeth into. I'm sure it'll play more quickly and smoothly next time, as this was a bit of a learning game.

Also played Sentinels of the Multiverse Vengeance style with newly purchased Wrath of the Cosmos and Villains of the Multiverse in there. I love Vengeance style, so getting to mix and match more with the Villains expansion really worked for me. We ended up losing, while trying a couple of new (to us) heroes in Sky Scrapper and Captain Cosmic along with old standby Chrono Ranger. Cosmic struggled in particular, I thought, because of the very nasty environment (I won't spell out the whole name because it's absurdly long, but for those who know the game, it's the traveling circus sideshow one). Lots of self-damage from that environment which really killed the value of my constructs.

Without that, though, I think we could've taken the Operative (who mostly seems to do one shots), La Capitan, and Proletariat. Fun game! Still one of my favorites (and possibly my absolute favorite. I'd have to think on it more).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 26th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Glad you liked Defenders of the Realm Bats. It's pretty light but a fun co-op or solo game. Sometimes the quests are worth getting, but sometimes they are a distraction that can get you going places that aren't helpful to the overall mission.

I like the hand management and how you have to make some choices of whether you really want to use a certain card or save it to fight a general with.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:26 AM

CrazyTankster rolls all skulls baby! CrazyTankster rolls all skulls baby! CrazyTankster rolls all skulls baby! CrazyTankster rolls all skulls baby! CrazyTankster rolls all skulls baby! CrazyTankster rolls all skulls baby!

We're getting together with 25+ other people for an all day Dominion Tournament today (:

My trade thread, now with Classic, C3V and SoV units!
All units come with cards.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51709
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:45 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Starting today, I'll be playing games four days in a row. But for the last week and a half, for various reasons, no one has come over at all. I've been fooling around and relearning an old game from 1997, Princess Ryan's Star Marines, which has a very interesting place in wargaming/board gaming history. It was one of the last if not the last game published by Avalon Hill before that company was swallowed and destroyed by the Hasbro conglomerate, ending over thirty years as the "gold standard" leader in gaming history from the early 1960s.

"Overhead the roll of clouds, the roar of thunder, the scream of attack shuttles speeding landward...it's Princes Ryan's Space Marines!"

So chanted a chorus of dozens of excited kids before each rocketing episode...I mean minis game. Designed by Mark McLaughlin (his daughter Ryan, son Campbell and other friends also appear as game characters), it was a reimplementation of a simple miniatures game--"Princess Ryan's Space Marines," which used to be a children's staple run multiple times during HMGS weekend minis conventions for many years--I helped him run it one time. (One of the evil game companies forced him to change the name because it was too close to one of their own games, illustrating once again the ridiculous claim that companies can copyright the English Language).

Anyhow, its a co-op game where a company of 24 brave Space, er I mean Star Marines broken down into teams of three per player to battle together across a board whose large spaces will vary each game--(each of which glories in bad puns, strange effects, and different challenge numbers) against the Black Guard Player of the evil Dar Yamaguchi, who has captured Princess Ryan. If the mission is successful in rescuing her far at the other end of the two section game board, its a group win, with the player who locates her cell being the main "winner." But that win is not guaranteed.

Each player puts one of his/her marines into the Skirmish, the main battlefield action where players then choose a weapon for each and battle against one or more Black Guard cards that the evil player (if using one) chooses from among the available six cards in his own ever changing Task Force. Some BG cards may be hidden during the time when marine players choose their weapons, some may call for further BG reinforcements in the fight, and there are particularly nasty "Special" BG cards. (Different cards are used depending on the number of marine players). The highest total wins the skirmish, with several varying good or bad effects then on the marines. Meanwhile as the marines move forward, they take checks to determine which board space, each with different effects they are going to enter (permanent spaces are often replaced by card spaces), whether any of the 15 time markers are being used up, and etc.

"Its Better That Way"
--First Lieutenant Mark "Its Better That Way" McLaughlin
Princess Ryan's Space Marines

This fun and simple game has been on the shelf for a long time, but in only he few turns I had time to play, I relearned almost all of the rules--from Regrouping to Ballistic Insertion. There are lots of fun twists and turns--during the first skirmish on Drop Zone Alpha this time around, the Marines effortlessly kicked butt, but in the second one of the nine marines (3 Player simulation) one was killed, one captured, one wounded, and two stunned! Yikes--"REGROUP!" called the current CO.

The victorious evil player now substituted a much worse board space via site card, and the marines after the regroup use one of their two attack shuttles to make a chancy ballistic insertion to escape the danger and then skip two rows ahead on the board, using the marine "Charley (Hey, he even spells it like I do) 'Ballistic' Hood" who has the special ability "Hot Shot (shuttle) Pilot" And so it goes, whether the mission succeeds in a normal fashion, or the marines must go for the final desperate"Do or Die," maneuver--and attempt a suicidal space ship crash into the prison.

You may make it, but if not...its better that way.

Last edited by chas; March 27th, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old March 27th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I picked up the boats at Walmart. Kids game.

The poker chips have various purpose. The red and blue ones on the boat were just there to help people identify which boat/side they were on.
The green one was being used to determine the area affect of a magical exploding arrow.

Black chips represent the Thief's Teleport & Waylay ability, which is once per game. The tiny chips represent each PCs ability to Lucky Dodge once per game.

The rest of the red and blue chips represent Hero Points. Hero Points allow you to go beyond what you normally can do, in this game it was basically a bonus to your roll with the option to re-roll.
Normally only GMs give out Hero Points but in this game we allowed the teams to give Hero Points to enemy players after they take a turn.
The reason for this is once you have 4+ Hero Points you must turn in 4 and choose a target to be affected by Wild Magic.
It added a crazy strategic but random element to the mayhem.
One PC had all four limbs severed and was just about to expire when another PC hit him with Wild Magic and rolled a 96 on a d100. 96+ is complete healing.
Incredible luck. The same player had been shot in the first round by an arrow that went through both lungs and arms, pinning them to his side. He survived that one too.
Lots of crazy-ness.

After Gen Con I am going to draw in hexes so these boats can be used on a HeroScape map. I believe it will work fairly well. It will require a few tweaks but should work nicely.
My son actually has that game. We've never played it as a game more of a team up to see if we could get all the penguins on there. I'd like to see your hex pattern once you optimize it.
All right, here is what I was thinking.

I was thinking for the side hexes that overhang, adding in 'planks' to walk.
I slid the hexes back to show where I want to put barrels to stand on.
A ladder goes up front to help with dead space.

Oh yeah I want to place 'rope' around the spots where the masts go, to create a more level location to place your figures. Of course you could use the masts and have those hexes be dead space or modify the masts to allow a figure to be placed in the crow's nest or perhaps in some rigging.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 27th, 2016, 08:09 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Wooden planks connecting the ships would certainly be a cool addition.
Old March 28th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yes indeed. A wooden plank on each side would allow passage from ship to ship when they are next to each other and adds a couple extra use-able hexes on the deck.
The one hex on the front deck could be a troublesome 'king of the hill' location but at least they can be shot from even ground from the aft deck.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Tide of Iron
Camel Up (Thanks Eas Bunny! Bok Bok!)
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:41 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Played Pathfinder Munchkin on Saturday and played Marvel Legendary last night. We were using the Dark City expansion. The more I play this game the more I like it. The best part is that it is a game the whole family will play.
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Solo-played some Defenders of the Realm tonight. Having fun with this one and glad I got it. I think if I'd found this first, I wouldn't have needed Pandemic in my collection. It likely obsoletes Pandemic for me.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 28th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Solo-played some Defenders of the Realm tonight. Having fun with this one and glad I got it. I think if I'd found this first, I wouldn't have needed Pandemic in my collection. It likely obsoletes Pandemic for me.
So you're waiting for Defenders of the Realm Legacy then?

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games