Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: Seeking strictly fantasy themed 'scape buying advice.

To some extent I agree with Tornado, if you already own some fantasy miniatures from other games (Warhammer, D&D, etc.) just print out the cards of figures you like and proxy them when playing at home with the wife. The official minis are nice to have but the game play mechanics and game board are really what sets Heroscape above the rest. I'd still go ahead and buy the $25 waves while you can get them at that price though.
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

This thread should help. I recommend the following easily obtainable units:

Syvarris, Sonlen, Raelin RotV, Rhogar, Kelda, Fen Hydra, Nilfeim and Braxas, Theracus and Brunak, Phantom Knights, Hornskulled Brutes, Goblin Cutters, Warriors of Ashra, Greenscale Warriors.

You might enjoy some of my scenarios, most of which were made under the auspices of the (now defunct) Valhalla Society.

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:50 AM

NuMystic Woo who?

Wow, the more I learn the more I realize I need to learn.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the idea of proxies and unofficial fan created units, but do not have any minis at all to draw from already. Are there decent quality stand-ins (that fit their cards) available for less per unit than I am getting with the $25 clearance waves still for sale?

Kolakoski, that thread on how a fantasy only theme impacts power ratings is priceless given the limitations we are going to game with. Unfortunately I don't think any of your scenarios will be of use at this point given our current terrain deficit.

Tai-Pan, unless I've misread or overlooked something, it sounds like this will cover all that you specifically suggested: Waves 1(x2), 8, D1(x2), D2, D3 and Orm's?
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMystic View Post
Wow, the more I learn the more I realize I need to learn.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the idea of proxies and unofficial fan created units, but do not have any minis at all to draw from already. Are there decent quality stand-ins (that fit their cards) available for less per unit than I am getting with the $25 clearance waves still for sale?

Kolakoski, that thread on how a fantasy only theme impacts power ratings is priceless given the limitations we are going to game with. Unfortunately I don't think any of your scenarios will be of use at this point given our current terrain deficit.

Tai-Pan, unless I've misread or overlooked something, it sounds like this will cover all that you specifically suggested: Waves 1(x2), 8, D1(x2), D2, D3 and Orm's?
The $25 price you're mainly looking at is WotC close out. They dumped their inventory a couple months ago and there is still some in the pipeline from sellers. We still have sets 11 and 13 in abundance for example at $26 and we have flat $3.60 shipping (free if over $100 is ordered). I'd expect these to dry up within the next month then prices will go back up....quickly. So what I'm saying is pickup whatever you can of those waves at $25, you won't find a better deal and if you wait too long, that's going to evaporate. The $25 per case is actually below originally WHOLESALE price so you know it's a good deal!
As for proxies, there are a ton of figures that you can use. Pretty much anything that's 28mm scale will work. If you want to stick to prepainted and Fantasy though that narrows things a bit. The biggest lines are D&D minis, Reaper minis, Pathfinder minis and the Lord of the rings herosclix (which will need rebasing). Price wise for these will be D&D minis (though some of those are stupid high too). Many can be found for under $1 per mini.
.....Andrew (aka Auggie)

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I'm with the guys who say $25 a wave is a steal. I bought most of my collection at "regular prices" when Scape was still carried at WalMart and other big retailers and then it was between $40 and $50 a wave.

Your list sounds like a good one. That will give you Orcs, Elves, Elementals, Lizardmen, Hydras, Ghost-Warriors, Snakes, Wolves, Goblins, Ogres, Golems, Dragons, and some other stuff to boot. Quite a bit for the fantasy fan.

With Wave 1 you'll get two packs of Romans. Technically speaking, they belong to the historical part of HeroScape. However, I've played many fantasy scenarios from general fantasy, Lord of the Rings, or whatever, and the Romans make good stand-ins for fantasy humans. They are good little units and don't stick out too much surrounded by Elves and Orcs.

You'll have to take a look at some of the packs and decide what to do with them. I think it's easier to sell packaged packs, so if there's an entire pack you're not interested in, I'd leave it unopened and sell it. That said, if you're looking for fantasy, there's not too much on your list that I would sell.

Possibly the Vipers and Snipers (W1), but the Vipers can fit in a fantasy setting and they get some help from the Viper Hero in the Hero Pack (W1), who also bonds with the Romans in Wave 1.

With the Marro Cavalry from Wave 8, you'll have to make the call. Weapons-wise they would fit in, and they look all right in a fantasy game as some kind of horror cavalry. Technically, the Marro are sci-fi, but without other Marro, nobody needs to know.

The Hero Pack from Wave 8 is tricky. There's an Elf wizard who does well with the other Elves you'll have, but that's about it. Two ninjas, one of whom is a 10 point figure who doesn't do a whole lot, and I've never really been one to categorize Ninja as fantasy. The Templar Knight could work with fantasy, and one of his abilities calls on friendly Knights, which you would have 2 squads of from Wave 11 (the Phantom Knights). The Samurai Daimyo in that pack is also practically worthless without other Samurai.

The coolest thing about HeroScape though (and most especially now that it's no longer officially being made), is that you can have it your way. If you want to decide that the Death Knights from Wave 13 can bond with the Templar Hero from Wave 8 and count as Knights, do it! If you want to make the Lizard-Paladin guy a Lizardman Hero so your Lizardmen can bond with him, do it!

And if you see other cards through this site or another that you like, you can even use the other HeroScape figures you have as proxies, as long as those figures aren't needed in the game.

Another place to look for the future of your HeroScape collection is C3V: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=36852
They are fans designing standard customs for everybody using miniatures from other games. One of the requirements is that a miniature is widely available and won't break the bank. There are quite a few fantasy things brewing over there, and it's definitely worth a look.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:11 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't think any of your scenarios will be of use at this point given our current terrain deficit.
Well met!

As discussed here, any of my scenarios can be played on maps of your own design containing less terrain. For instance, Pirates! can be played with ships of any shape and size. The various mechanics of the scenarios are easily transferable. For instance, the following (from Pirates!) can be used in any scenario:

Captain: Each Team shall designate a Captain, after the setup, just prior to Second Wind. The Captain shall be any single spaced, medium/small hero (subject to the scenario figure restrictions). Captains are not subject to Second Wind. If a Captain is killed by an enemy action, the dead Captain's Team adds 1 to the offense and defense of all its units (Death Bonus). If a Captain is Captured (Mindshackled or otherwise controlled (Werewolf Lord, Mindflayer)) by the other Team, his/her Team immediately surrenders, and the game is over.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 30th, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old March 31st, 2012, 07:55 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

If you don't mind proxies, you can get out of this even cheaper. Conventional fantasy figures are available from a number of makers for around a buck apiece unpainted. One of the most valuable gaming tools to have is a "generic" or "universal" army. I have 3: 1) ancient/medieval/fantasy (guys with pointy weapons and slabs of metal on their bodies) 2) horse and musket (roughly any conflict between 1600-1900) and 3) modern (1900- stardate 2.1.2750). These forces are configued so that with the addition of a few specialty figures or vehicles, they can stand in admirably for a game in their time period. So, dozens of orcs for Battlelore function perfectly well as dozens of orcs for Heroscape, as an example. If you're at the point where you're just building a collection, it would be good advice to sink some of you $$ into figures that can do double or triple duty like that.

Not one step backwards!
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:17 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Auggies is a good place to pick up specific units you want without paying for the other things. If you want everything in a pack, you're better off buying the pack somewhere else. I think even if you want most of a pack, it's better to buy a pack (or a wave) and sell off the things you don't want. What Auggies is really good for is finding single units you want from waves that are no longer available. They might cost more, but they are still available.
I also recommend Auggies...Also if you do start buying boosters you can always create a post for your non-fantasy figures in the Trade Thread, where you can make trades of roughly equal value with people who have the figures you might want.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old March 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM

NuMystic Woo who?

Thank you all once again for the invaluable insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWeaver View Post
If you don't mind proxies, you can get out of this even cheaper. Conventional fantasy figures are available from a number of makers for around a buck apiece unpainted…it would be good advice to sink some of you $$ into figures that can do double or triple duty like that.
Which other pre-painted minis which are readily available for cheap are a good fit sticking strictly to those which can easily match or pass with the classic fantasy theme? (main concerns being compatible bases, scale, etc.)
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:27 PM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thank you all once again for the invaluable insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWeaver View Post
If you don't mind proxies, you can get out of this even cheaper. Conventional fantasy figures are available from a number of makers for around a buck apiece unpainted…it would be good advice to sink some of you $$ into figures that can do double or triple duty like that.
Which other pre-painted minis which are readily available for cheap are a good fit sticking strictly to those which can easily match or pass with the classic fantasy theme? (main concerns being compatible bases, scale, etc.)
I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking of pre-painted minis at that point, only unpainted minis.

Not one step backwards!
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:04 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Seeing as you want fantasy. I haven't been to Auggies lately but you could see if he have Finn, Thorgrim, Tarn Viking Warriors, Mimring, Grimnak, Raelin and perhaps the Izumi Samurai (not sure if you want to do Orrental or not) from the Rise of the Valkyrie set

also if you want check out my customs. I have quite a few fantasy based customs (including a fairy and a unicorn) which you could easily find a different figure to use
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

Rock Troll's proxy list:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=13973

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion