Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old May 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker
Re: Competitive Heroscape is not dominated by A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
If you produce the list of tournaments that you've played in I'll give you a squad of heavies for each. Please include the following information for each event:

Format, points, maps, number of attendees, notable members of this board who attended, how you finished, what army you brought, how other members finished, what armies performed well, etc.
I'd like to see proof of how many Heavy Grut squads you possess. Having a map requirement is pretty ridiculous as is notabale members who have attended.

-I did not set up the tournament so I have no idea what maps were used. Yes some tournament threads list the maps being used but not all do

-Who is notable to you? Also you are better off collecting names from the Tournament Director. I have yet to see a regular contestant performing a census on those attending that day
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yes, that's the standard treatment for trolls and I recommend it here & elsewhere on other boards.

The problem with DA's particular brand of trolling, from my perspective, is that he makes it sound like (a) you need to have units XYZ to win at Heroscape tournaments, (b) Heroscape tournaments are not friendly, open environments, and (c) Heroscape tournaments are no place for the nervous or new player. You and I, Frylock, know better, of course.

I don't really care to change his mind, obviously you can't win an argument with a troll, but it is unacceptable to me that a lurker or impressionable reader might look at his posts, unchallenged, and think that may be what competitive Scape is like.

So even though I know you aren't supposed to argue with trolls, because this particular troll focusses on an issue that affects the life of the hobby, I will take time out of my day to ridicule and refute him.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but for the event I have coming up in a week and a half I've already been contacted by two guys who are very nervous about coming out to their first Heroscape tournaments.

I have explained to both of them that Heroscape tournaments are friendly and welcoming and you don't need any mastery or special things to come and play and have a good time, and you don't need any particular unit or group of units to win.

Hopefully that's what they needed to hear and they'll be able to come. But who will write that to the local guys in Kansas City? Chicago? Minneapolis?

I can't have him pushing those people indoors when they'll have a good time, and it would be best for the hobby, if they came out and played, or they decided to arrange a game day or a tournament. Me putting him on ignore doesn't help those people.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I have explained to both of them that Heroscape tournaments are friendly and welcoming and you don't need any mastery or special things to come and play and have a good time, and you don't need any particular unit or group of units to win.
If anyone fears going to an event because of anything that I have posted then they really have misinterpreted what I have said. Heroscape events are indeed friendly in atmosphere. However, that does not mean that the game itself might or might not be cut throat (depends 100% on who is playing). However, if your goal is to win then some units in deed give you a much better chance than other units. Still, though, even the A+ units are beatable, which is what keeps them at A+ and not broken.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

We just need a smilie that say:

"Ignore the troll" with an arrow like this:

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Quote:
If you produce the list of tournaments that you've played in I'll give you a squad of heavies for each. Please include the following information for each event:

Format, points, maps, number of attendees, notable members of this board who attended, how you finished, what army you brought, how other members finished, what armies performed well, etc.
I'd like to see proof of how many Heavy Grut squads you possess. Having a map requirement is pretty ridiculous as is notabale members who have attended.

-I did not set up the tournament so I have no idea what maps were used. Yes some tournament threads list the maps being used but not all do

-Who is notable to you? Also you are better off collecting names from the Tournament Director. I have yet to see a regular contestant performing a census on those attending that day

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
has been BANNED

What wasn't reasonable about my response, Xraine? The explanation should be interesting. (unless you take census data at events you visit)
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM

The Doctor is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
If anyone fears going to an event because of anything that I have posted then they really have misinterpreted what I have said. Heroscape events are indeed friendly in atmosphere. However, that does not mean that the game itself might or might not be cut throat (depends 100% on who is playing). However, if your goal is to win then some units in deed give you a much better chance than other units. Still, though, even the A+ units are beatable, which is what keeps them at A+ and not broken.
You make heroscape sound like its a pro sport. People should go to tournaments to have fun playing scape with others who enjoy it. When ever I play scape, I want to have fun and use a wide range of figures. Not just A+ units. The game should not be cut throat, No game should be. Even pro athletes like to have fun while competing.

And about your packers reference. I am a HUGE packers fan. Even if I am in Minnesota. I prefer close tight games. Those are the fun,exciting, interesting games I enjoy watching. Sure winning by a lot can be fun, I rather see a game that comes down to the very end.

Old May 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

obviously you can't win an argument with a troll,
Try fire or acid, I hear they don't regenerate after that.

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
What wasn't reasonable about my response, Xraine? The explanation should be interesting. (unless you take census data at events you visit)
DA, I can easily find the map data, the list of players by HSer ID, what they played, and their records for dozens upon dozens of events, on this very website.

What Dignan is asking for, in other words, is a completely typical tournament summary for the events in question. I could produce everything he asked for for nearly every event I've ever attended. In two cases I would have to PM R˙chean for a complete list of players, but I would definitely do so if it was going to earn me two squads of Heavy Gruts.

It's completely understandable that he would ask for these things, given that he's putting up a rather valuable commodity. If you need to PM TDs to get this information, then PM TDs. It's certainly worth your time.

Or, you know, make excuses and clam up. That works, too.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Actually, the biggest event I went to was in 2006 NHSD. I placed third. A couple of maps were Artic Divide, Forsaken Waters. Board members were Primal, noodles, blackrayne1, funrun(who won it with 4th mass & Marcus). Mo came in second with Braxas, Raelin and Brunak. That was right off the top of my head. The way you spout sports stats, it should be easy for you to remember your events, especially since you crush your opponents and win by large margins.

You mean to tell me that at least one or two events don't stand out in your mind like that? Dignan offered a squad per event you could list and I believe he would fulfill his end of the bargain. Would it not be worth to list just a couple of events?

EDIT: Interesting enough for you?

Guess I'm getting back into Scape

Last edited by xraine69; May 12th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA
I would say this is a fairly good example of agreement. In fact I would have to agree with this statement.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

[quote=Devil's Advocate;1402054]
Quote:

KC's summary of every tournament I've ever attended with every map I've ever played on and every person with a HSers ID or even a relation to someone with an HSers ID in some cases, including the tournament format and every army I've ever played with or against and my record in each of those events, along with a detailed report of each battle, none of which I celebrated mercilessly destroying an opponent.

Dignan - please forward 24 squads of Heavy Gruts to me immediately. Thank you.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; May 12th, 2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Or wait - do I only get them if I play Q9/Raelin/Rats in every one and mercilessly crush little kids without helping them???

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion