Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
A Heroscape Murder Mystery No. 2

A Heroscape Murder Mystery #2
Note: take the clues in the order presented. Numbers in parentheses indicate places where you eliminate suspects. Assume squads have only one remaining unit.

Solution provided below. Scroll carefully if you don't want to spoil the surprise!

Rrrrring! Brrrring!

Marcus opened one eye and stared at the clock. 3:15 a.m. Who could be calling me at this time?

"Hello," Marcus mumbled.

"Ah, Marcus! I'm glad I caught you while you were awake. Listen --"

"I was SLEEPING, you moron! Morsbane, is that you?"

"Yep! Just working in my lab. I've got a good one for you. We need your help."

"This had better be good. I had a wonderful dream that I was eating a giant marshmallow. Hey, what happened to my pillow?"

Groan.

Marcus arrived at the crime lab at 3:45 a.m. Morsbane directed him to the coroner's table where a figure was covered in a sheet. Morsbane removed the sheet.

"Deadeye Dan!" Marcus gasped. "I can't say I'm surprised, what with the talk on Heroscapers.com and all. Still, oh dear. Cover that up, please."

"You don't look so good. Want the rest of my sandwich? It's pickle loaf."

Marcus barfed in the garbage can. After wiping his face with his handkerchief, he asked for the list of suspects. Here they are:

Airborne Elite, Armoc Vipers, Deathstalker, Deathwalker 7000, Deathwalker 9000, Dzu-Teh, Einer Imperium, Eldgrim, Grimnak, Heavy Grut, Izumi Samurai, Kee-Mo-Shi, Kozuke Samurai, Major X17, Marro Warrior, Nakita Agent, Roman Archer, Saylind, Shade of Bleakewoode, Spartacus, Sudema, Tagawa Samurai, Thorgrim, Zettian Guard, Zombie of Morindan

This was going to be a long day.

"Hello! HouseMouse Games. May I help you?"

"Yes, this is Marcus. I ordered three castle sets from you."

"Oh, the detective! Nice hearing from you again!"

"I was wondering if you could help me? I'm solving the Case of the Dead Deadeye, and I need your help. I've just emailed you a list of the suspects and information about the crime. Could you look it over?"

"Sure, just let me open my email."

After a long pause, "According to the information you gave me, the murder took place before the Dawn of Darkness. I don't think those suspects had anything to do with the killing." (1)

"That's great! That's a really big help. I really owe you one. By the way, when is Jandar's Oath going to be re-released?"

*click*

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Marcus studied Deadeye's abilities carefully. That Ullar Enhanced Rifle Special Attack. Hmmmm, since it only affects small or medium figures, logic would indicate that those figures would have the biggest beef against Dan. I think we can rule out the large and huge suspects. (2)

Mrs. Deadeye Dan answered the door after Marcus rang the buzzer for the eleventh time. She was only wearing a bathrobe with the words "Tickle Me, Elmo" embroidered on the front. It didn't appear that she was wearing anything underneath. Since she looked just like Deadeye Dan except for the heavy eye shadow, pink lipstick and shoulder-length hair; Marcus' imagination didn't roam farther than the pickled loaf sandwich he declined earlier.

"I wished I had killed him," she snarled. "He was never home. All of his friends were wild, I tell you. Wild! But I remained faithful to him. Do you know why?"

"Because you couldn't find anybody blind enough to sleep with you?"

"No! Because I knew that if he was ever murdered, I'd be the first person you people would suspect. Now go away!"

Hmmm, his friends were wild, eh? I think we can take them off the list. (3)

Marcus sat in the local tavern nursing a beer and going over his notes.

"Penny for your thoughts," the barkeep offered.

"I'm working on a case. Say, Deadeye Dan used to frequent this joint, didn't he?"

"Yep. Jerk left a huge bar tab."

"Well, I'm trying to find his killer."

The bartender spit on the floor. "If you find the killer, tell him I want to buy him a drink. Deadeye Dan was no good. However, I don't want to be considered an accomplice or anything, so I'll tell you this." The bartender leaned forward. "Deadeye Dan liked to mix it up in 100-point games. Anyone over 100 points wasn't worth Deadeye's time."

Marcus flipped a quarter onto the bar and walked off. "Thanks," he muttered over his shoulder. Take off the suspects over 100 points. (4)

Marcus examined the remaining suspects, then looked at the clock. 1:15 p.m. The crime lab must have some results by now.

"Ah, Marcus!" Morsbane said over his computer terminal. "I was just about to call you. Take a look at this."

"You download monkey pictures off the internet?"

"Oh, NOT THAT!!!" click. click. click. "This..."

Hmmm. According to the coroner's report, the killer's defense stats could not have exceeded the attack stats. The killer could only be someone whose attack value was greater than or equal to the defense value. (5)

Marcus make some marks in his case book and examine the remaining suspects. Most of the suspects have the exact same personality. One of those must be the killer, so Marcus eliminated the others. (6)

As Marcus left the crime lab on the way back to his office, a fortune teller grabbed his arm.

"Cross my palms with silver, and I'll reveal the Mystery of the Tarot!"

"I'll cross your jaw with my fist if you don't leave me alone."

"The cards tell me you're seeking a killer. The victim's initial's are DD."

What could it hurt if it only costed a quarter. "You'd better not be wasting my time," Marcus warned.

"Oh, no! The Tarot never lies."

The fortune teller dealt out a layout of cards. After dealing 12 cards in a circle, a 13th card was dealt into the center. It was the Death Card, Number 13!

13, eh? Marcus consulted his notes and added the movement, range, attack and defense of the remaining three suspects. Two of them added to 13! The other suspect could be eliminated. (7)

Marcus handed the fortune teller a $20 bill, smiled and rushed back inside the lab.

"Down to only two suspects already? Wow, you really are sharp. Who do you have remaining?"

Marcus gave Morsbane the names of the two remaining suspects, and Morsbane entered the names into his computer.

"Take a look at this."

"You're not going to show me any more monkies, are you?"

"NO! Look. Based on our chemical analysis, the suspect with the lower attack value matches the attack value DNA found on the body. That, my friend, is your killer!"

Epilogue: When the police arrived to arrest the suspect, nobody answered the door. Since the police didn't want to disturb the rest of the neighborhood, no arrest was made. The suspect remains at large to this day.

Do YOU know who killed Deadeye Dan?
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
It's getting late, and I'm off to bed. Here's the solution!

Quote:
(1) Wave 6: Einar Imperium, Eldgrim, Kee-Mo-Shi, Shades of Bleakewoode
(2) Large/Huge: DW9000, Deathstalker, Grimnak
(3) Wild: Dzu-Teh, Sudema, Marro Warrior, Heavy Grut
(4) Over 100 points: Airbone Elite, Tagawa Samurai, Nikita Agent, Spartacus
(5) Defense>Attack: Thorgrim, Izumi, DW7000, Zettian
(6) Non-disciplined: Armoc Viper, Saylind
(7) Move + Range + Attack + Defense <> 13: Kozuke (14)
( 8 ) lower attack = Roman Archer! Roman Archer is the killer!!!!!

I hope you had as much fun with these as I had putting them together. Take care!

-David
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
These were awesome, David!

Here's my try at the second one. I'll take a look at the solution after I post:
Quote:

1) Eliminate The Einar Imperium, Eldgrim, Kee-Mo-Shi, Shades and Zombies

2) Eliminate Deathstalker, DWs 7&9k, and Chompy

3) Eliminate Dzu-Teh, Heavy Grut, MW, and Sudema

4) Eliminate AE, NA, Spartacus and Tagawa

5) Eliminate Izumi, Thorgrim and Zettian

6) Eliminate Armoc and Saylind

7) Eliminate Kozuki

8 ) Eliminate Major X17

The Roman Archer is the murderer (probably did it with a couple of his buddies)
~Aldin, investigatively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
These were awesome, David!

Here's my try at the second one. I'll take a look at the solution after I post:

~Aldin, investigatively
So your address would be 221B Baker Street * ? Excellent work!

This would probably be a fun thing to do with kids. Here's what you do:

Deal out any 12 Heroscape cards. See how many different criteria each person can come up with that would eliminate exactly 3 cards. This is nearly identical, in fact, to an excellent game called Set (www.setgame.com).

If you're a part of a gaming group where everyone pretty much knows all the units' abilities by heart, you could try this: Deal each person 10 cards with the Master Side face up. Each person then tries to write down, without looking, the four stats found on the Basic Side. Score 1 point for each correct answer, and 5 bonus points for each army where all four stats were answered correctly.

Heroscape is so much fun in more ways than we can imagine!

-David

* Most of you probably caught the reference, but 221B Baker Street was the residence of none other than Sherlock Holmes!
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker
I'm gonna say.

Quote:
The Roman Archer did it!!!!!!!

This is really fun, keep up the good work.

Never negotiate the truth. - Serj Tankian

Trade List: Please contact with offers. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ostcount=10010
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Whats The Question Again? has disabled reputation
No Duh Its The.....18 15 13 1 14 1 18 3 8 5 18

Its All About The Game And How You Play It
Its All About Control And If You Can Take It
I Am The Game And You Dont Want To Play Me
I Am Control And You Cant Take Me!!!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games