Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old January 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
A Heroscape Murder Mystery!

A Heroscape Murder Mystery
Note: take the clues in the order presented. Numbers in parentheses indicate places where you eliminate suspects. Assume squads have only one remaining unit, though it doesn't really affect the mystery.

Warning: The solution is discussed below. If you're here for the first time, scroll slowly until you are ready for the solution...

Dund was found murdered! Inspector Marcus Decimus Gallus of the Roman Detective Bureau was summoned to investigate.

There were 25 suspects. One of these is the murderer!

4th Mass. Line, Acolarh, Agent Carr, Blastatron, Braxas, Dumutef Guard, Gladiatron, Khosumet, Knight of Weston, Major Q9, Marrden Hound, Microcorp Agent, Mimring, Minion of Utgar, Nilfheim, Ninja of the Northern Wind, Obsidian Guard, Parmenio, Raelin, Sentinel of Jandar, Sir Dendrick, Swog Rider, Tarn Viking Warrior, Venoc Warlord, Warrior of Ashra

"They sure are a shifty bunch," Marcus thought to himself.

Marcus called Ullar. "Do you think any of your guys would have anything against Dund?"

"I dunno," Ullar replied, "but I know my heroes couldn't have committed the murder. They were in a meeting with me at the time of the murder."

Excellent! Marcus dismissed Ullar's heroes, since they had a solid alibi. (1)

"Hmmm, the murder took place behind an obstacle, and there were no eyewitnesses. That means the killer couldn't have been taller than 6." Marcus dismissed the units with a height greater than 6. (2)

"Well, the attack was point-blank. A ranged unit would've taken a shot at a distance. I'm going to clear all remaining ranged units." (3)

Later that day, Marcus made his way to the crime lab. "You guys have anything that can help me in this investigation?"

Morsbane looked up from his microscope. "Yes, I think we may have something. According to these tests, it appears the killer must have had an attack and defense that matched. For example, I have an attack of 3 and a defense of 2. So I couldn't have killed him. You, on the other hand, have an attack of 3 and a defense of 3. So you could have been the killer."

"Whoa," Marcus laughed. "I hope you don't think I killed Dund!"

"No," Morsbane smirked. "I'm sure you were eating an Italian sub at Subway at the time."

They both laughed heartily. Marcus slapped Morsbane on the back. "Thank you. I think that helps." (4)

Marcus had narrowed the suspects, but he still hadn't pinned down the killer to one figure. Marcus surveyed the stats of the remaining suspects. "I don't think it could have been done by the fastest or slowest of this group, so I'm going to clear those." (5)

As Marcus examined the remaining units, he thought, "Two of these serve under the same general. I'm going to eliminate them as suspects." (6)

Marcus decided to question Dund's widow to see if she could help.

"Oh, dear. You know, I just miss my poor Dund so much," she wept.

"Yes, I know this must be pretty hard. However, I have narrowed down the suspects to this group. I'd like for you to take a look at these. Can you think of any reason why any one of these would want to kill your husband?"

"I dunno. Nobody wanted my husband drafted in their army. I don't understand why. Why, I'll never forget the first time we met. His eyes met mine, he shot me with that cute crippling gaze, and I was hopelessly in love." Mrs. Dund looked over the suspects more closely. "That one didn't do it. That's the most expensive point-wise of the suspects you're showing me. I don't think that's the killer. I'm not sure about the other two."

"Thank you. I think that helps me immensely." (7)

Only two suspects remain. Marcus returned to the lab.

"Morsbane, I'd like to show you my two remaining suspects. I've been able to eliminate all of the other suspects from the evidence obtained so far, but these two remain."

"You've really done an excellent job, Marcus. Let's me retrieve these two from my database. Hmmmmm. Hey, this is really interesting!"

"You've found something?" Marcus asked excitedly.

Morsbane smiled. "My friend, I just think we've found your killer." Morsbane rotated the computer monitor so Marcus could see their statistics.

"Here we have the stats for the two suspects in question. Nothing out of the ordinary, right? Well, look more deeply." Morsbane pressed a key on his keyboard, and the stats flipped from the Master Side to the Basic Side. Marcus gasped.

"I see! The attack matched the defense on the Master Side, but they differ if you examine the Basic Side. And the one with the higher basic defense couldn't have done it, so that leaves only one remaining. That's our killer!" (7)

Epilogue: A trial was set for June 7th. After 14 days of testimony and cross-examination, the killer was released and set free because the officer making the arrest had his shoelaces untied. Case dismissed!

Do YOU know who killed Dund?

[minor edits for grammar and clarity]
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
To not spoil it, i'm going to do this:

Quote:
I think it was Khosumet.

I was sorta confused, because somehow i had 3 suspects left when i should have only had 2. I do think i figured out how i managed that though.
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
This is a pretty clever idea. Let me think about this one.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
K/H, that's clever the way you concealed your guess. I attempted to do the same in a preview test, and I think I know how to do it. For the benefit of others, I won't say whether your guess is correct or not.

[Paragraph removed, because it's no longer relevant. Just imagine a tree falling in a forest without anyone around. Did it make a sound?]

-David
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
There is either a mistake in the puzzle or I messed up. I have ran through it a few times now and keep coming to the same conclusion, what am I doing wrong?

Quote:
4th Mass. Line, Acolarh, Agent Carr, Blastatron, Braxas, Dumutef Guard, Gladiatron, Khosumet, Knight of Weston, Major Q9, Marrden Hound, Microcorp Agent, Mimring, Minion of Utgar, Nilfheim, Ninja of the Northern Wind, Obsidian Guard, Parmenio, Raelin, Sentinel of Jandar, Sir Dendrick, Swog Rider, Tarn Viking Warrior, Venoc Warlord, Warrior of Ashra

STEP 1 - Remove Ullar
Acolarh, Venoc Warlord, Warrior of Ashra

4th Mass. Line, Agent Carr, Blastatron, Braxas, Dumutef Guard, Gladiatron, Khosumet, Knight of Weston, Major Q9, Marrden Hound, Microcorp Agent, Mimring, Minion of Utgar, Nilfheim, Ninja of the Northern Wind, Obsidian Guard, Parmenio, Raelin, Sentinel of Jandar, Sir Dendrick, Swog Rider, Tarn Viking Warrior,

STEP 2 - Remove taller than 6
Braxas (13), Dumutef Guard (7), Major Q9 (7), Mimring (9), Nilfheim (12)

4th Mass. Line, Agent Carr, Blastatron, Gladiatron, Khosumet, Knight of Weston, Marrden Hound, Microcorp Agent, Minion of Utgar, Ninja of the Northern Wind, Obsidian Guard, Parmenio, Raelin, Sentinel of Jandar, Sir Dendrick, Swog Rider, Tarn Viking Warrior,

STEP 3 - Remove Ranged
4th Mass. Line, Agent Carr, Blastatron, Microcorp Agent

Gladiatron, Khosumet, Knight of Weston, Marrden Hound, Minion of Utgar, Ninja of the Northern Wind, Obsidian Guard, Parmenio, Raelin, Sentinel of Jandar, Sir Dendrick, Swog Rider, Tarn Viking Warrior,

STEP 4 - Remove ones with different Att/Defense

Gladiatron (2,3), Knight of Weston (3,4), Marrden Hound (3,5), Minion of Utgar (2,6), Ninja of the Northern Wind (4,3), Sentinel of Jandar (3,4), , Tarn Viking Warrior (3,4)

Khosumet, Obsidian Guard, Parmenio, Raelin, Sir Dendrick, Swog Rider, Tarn Viking Warrior,

STEP 5 - Remove Fastest and Slowest
Obsidian Guard (4), Swog Rider (

Khosumet, Parmenio, Raelin, Sir Dendrick

STEP 6 Remove 2 from same General
Raelin, Sir Dendrick (JANDAR)

Khosumet, Parmenio,

STEP 7 - Remove Most expensive (Should be 3 here)
Paremenio (100)

Khosumet

STEP 8 - Remove one with the lowest defense on Basic Side
Khosumet is the only one left...
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
I can't continue cause I don't own halve of those cards. O well.

FINISH HIM!
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyedan42
I can't continue cause I don't own halve of those cards. O well.
The stats are on the official site...The cards are even posted here....
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM

player_of_volleyball Woo who?
hey nether. is say remove the ullar heros. the WaA arent a hero

Yes, finally new and better elves to improve my already thick ranks of elves.

Elves shall prevail!
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Su_Nan Woo who?
Nether's conclusion is right, but his explaination is off.

Quote:
In step 4 he should have removed the obsidian guards because of their attk 4 defense 4. In step five the slowest should be the tarn vikings not the obsidian guards. Somewhere in that explanation the tark vikings just vanished. Just a simple mistake.

Insanity is the best medicine.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Site Admin

I see that now. I messed up and will fix it.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Su_Nan Woo who?
The only problem with this whole thing is that if you do not remove the Warrior of Ashra from the mix when Ullar is mentioned you cant remove them on any other step.

Insanity is the best medicine.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_Nan
Nether's conclusion is right, but his explaination is off.

Quote:
In step 4 he should have removed the obsidian guards because of their attk 4 defense 4. In step five the slowest should be the tarn vikings not the obsidian guards. Somewhere in that explanation the tark vikings just vanished. Just a simple mistake.
Quote:

The Tarns get removed in Step 4 not the Obsidian Guards, because they have 3A, 4D

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games