Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old October 4th, 2015, 10:28 AM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2015

I'd be happy to lend a squad of spiders to the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Anyone who's coming (so I guess that means primarily @warriorneedsfoodbadly and @Leotheanimal87): one of Quillon's crew needs one more squad of spiders than I have. We don't need the card; just the figures. Would one of you fine gentlemen be so inclined to lend a sister a hand?

If not, I'll help her figure something else out. But I thought I'd ask.
Old October 4th, 2015, 10:49 AM

You don't have to bring any map items.
Anything you want to bring for the prize table is fine. Doesn't have to be Heroscape. If too common, some enjoy repainting them.
The restricted list are powerful and too often used. Fillers are the low point cards. I'm not sure what it means that multiples of fillers be treated as regular restricted.
Probably Xotli could give you a better link(s) to learn about VC than this,
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=33402

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver King View Post
So I am currently 50/50 on going, the main obstacle for me going would be whether or not I have work that day, but since this would be my 1st tournament, I did have some questions.

I don't really get the restricted list, especially the filler unit part. What does a filler unit mean? Is it like having a sidedeck in trading card games, stuff that you can fill out your army with?

Also I barely have the slightest notion of what VC units are, could someone give me a list of them or something? I probably wouldn't be able to read through them all tho, before the tournament day.

As for the prize table, if we are bringing something as a contribution, what does it need to be? I don't have many extra Heroscape figures or pieces, and I think the ones I do have wouldn't make for great prizes (Brunak, Shiori, etc, you know, all the common-ish stuff).

As for the maps, I only have the Marro set, the Master set, and a 99% complete Castle set to contribute to that end, which I don't think would make any of the maps you listed. Would that prevent me from joining the tournament?
Old October 4th, 2015, 11:38 AM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorneedsfoodbadly View Post
You don't have to bring any map items.
Anything you want to bring for the prize table is fine. Doesn't have to be Heroscape. If too common, some enjoy repainting them.
The restricted list are powerful and too often used. Fillers are the low point cards. I'm not sure what it means that multiples of fillers be treated as regular restricted.
Probably Xotli could give you a better link(s) to learn about VC than this,
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=33402
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely try to come if I can. How long do you think people will be playing after the tournament is over? I am pretty sure even if I can't make the tournament due to work that I will be able to make it to the free play hours.
Old October 5th, 2015, 02:13 AM

10pm is likely and 11pm is possible.
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
So I am currently 50/50 on going, the main obstacle for me going would be whether or not I have work that day, but since this would be my 1st tournament, I did have some questions.
Sure. I see wnfb got you some answers already, but I'll throw in my as well.

Quote:
I don't really get the restricted list, especially the filler unit part. What does a filler unit mean? Is it like having a sidedeck in trading card games, stuff that you can fill out your army with?
The idea of the "restricted list" comes from seeing people bring the same units over and over again: Q9, original Raelin, rats, minutemen, etc. These are the units that are a little too good for their points: the units that are ranked A+ or A (or, in a few cases, A-). If you have several of these in your army-- for instance, Q9, Raelin, and 3 squads worth of rats-- that army is tough to beat, and also annoying to play against. So, many tournaments (including ours) started adopting a restricted list, meaning you can only have one of these units in your army. (Note: for commons, you may have multiples-- because e.g. one squad of minutemen would kinda suck-- but only up to 300 pts worth.)

This was much better, but the new problem was that many of the units on the restricted list were often used "filler" units: units of 50 pts or less that you throw in to "fill out" your army once you've got the core down. For instance, in a melee heavy army with 50 points left over, pretty much everyone is going to reach for clones (a.k.a. the Marro Warriors), or maybe Ponyboy (a.k.a. Me-Burq-Sa). If you've got 10 pts left over, there aren't but 2 choices, and Isamu is much better than Otonashi. Likewise at 20, where Marcu vs Kyntela Gwin isn't even a real choice, unless you happen to be bringing elf wizards anyway. But all these units were on the restricted list, because they're all very good choices for their point values. And nothing is more frustrating than building a great army, using one restricted unit as per the rules, and then having 20 pts left over but you can't use Marcu because he's also on the restricted list. So, last year, I came up with the idea of breaking the restricted list into 2 parts: the "big" units (or primary units), and the filler units. You may have up to 1 of each. Multiples of primary restricteds are okay; multiples of fillers are not.

Make sense?

(Side note: if you're interested to know where the rankings come from, follow the link.)

Quote:
Also I barely have the slightest notion of what VC units are, could someone give me a list of them or something? I probably wouldn't be able to read through them all tho, before the tournament day.
I threw you a couple links in the other thread, but your absolute best VC resource is DanieLoche's Hall of Valhalla. Nice color pictures, complete with links to the books. And, no, you dont have to read through them all. I've pledged to post links here to all VC units that will be arriving with any army that I supply (either primary or backup). So you can just read through those, if you like. (Once I post them ... right now there are still a few more things to be nailed down on my end, but I expect you'll see them before another week is out.)

Also, if you see anything in there that strikes your fancy, let me know and I can probably supply it. There are one or two that I don't have, and of course I have limited numbers of commons, and plus some may already be spoken for. But feel free to ask and I'm happy to do my best to hook you up.

Quote:
As for the prize table, if we are bringing something as a contribution, what does it need to be? I don't have many extra Heroscape figures or pieces, and I think the ones I do have wouldn't make for great prizes (Brunak, Shiori, etc, you know, all the common-ish stuff).
Bringing something for the prize table is strictly optional. Don't feel obligated to bring anything at all if you don't have anything. If you really really want to and can't think of anything else, a gift certificate for your favorite online miniature retailer (Miniature Market, Troll & Toad, Auggie's Games, etc) is an option.

Quote:
As for the maps, I only have the Marro set, the Master set, and a 99% complete Castle set to contribute to that end, which I don't think would make any of the maps you listed. Would that prevent me from joining the tournament?
Again, signing up to bring a map is completely optional. Most likely I'll bring two, wnfb will make two, and Leo will bring two, and that'll be all the maps we need. If you really want to make a map, you could look a few posts up at my list of maps and see if there's anything in there you have the pieces for. But, again, I wouldn't sweat it that much.

Basically, just bring yourself, your entrance fee, and one or two armies. We're thrilled to see new players; we don't need any more than that. If you feel obliged to bring more things, the two biggest things I personally would suggest are:
  1. Snacks
  2. A friend

Hope we'll see you there!

Excellent! I'll let her know, and thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; October 5th, 2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Okay, we had a mini-gameday over at our house so @Quillon 's crew could get their practice on (2 of the 3 hadn't played since last year, and one is a brand newbie). For the occasion, I went ahead and built another map: Sidewinder. It's not a bad little map. Anyhoo, everybody's primary and backup armies are settled, so I will be posting details on the VC units (hopefully later tonight).

But first let's get the issue of maps settled, eh? Currently we have 7-8 definites and 3 maybes. So, maxium 11 people, so we need at least 5 maps, probably 6. No one has offered any protests over my proposed list, so let's just assume that we're going with the first 5 or 6 I listed above. I'm going to go ahead and add those to the top post, marking myself down for the two I'm committed for. But we need to hear from @Leotheanimal87 and @warriorneedsfoodbadly to make sure they can handle the rest. How about it guys? are there two maps on that list you want to volunteer for?

Let me know. You know I like to have details like this out of the way.

While I'm here, let me ask wnfb if there's anything he needs me to bring ... anything to print, do you need whiteboard markers again, etc? I will bring instructions for my maps, of course, assuming I can force my color laser to cooperate (honestly, it's time to buy a new one, but we prolly won't be able to do that until after Christmas). I will also make sure all the maps are downloaded to my phone. (In fact, I think I'll go ahead and do that one right now before I forget it.) I may bring extra armies in case people wander by and we can press them into playing (that totally happened last year, IIRC). Anything else?

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 9th, 2015, 11:49 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Sorry for not posting in awhile. Been busy. Anyhow yes I'm still in, got the day from work As far as maps go, I MAYBE able to bring one, but I prefer not to since it takes space in my car and I have to dig to get heroscape tiles from the garage. I may have plans after so I need the space in my car. So if I do bring a map, it has to be a REALLY easy map to build. Other than that, let me know if you need anything else. Is it too late to suggest no VC units? Sorry I'm a purist at heart and don't really care for them since they aren't official. But if everyone else doesn't mind them, then I don't care. I'm just glad we get to play some Scape. Also is anyone bringing arena of the planeswalkers for after the tourney? If I don't have plans after I would be down for a couple of games! Love the game so far.

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart

I am 95% sure that I am not going to be able to make it. My brother decided randomly to get married next Thursday instead of next year like he had planned, and the wedding will be down in Mexico. I won't be back until Saturday afternoon, and probably gonna be too tired to even make the free play after the tournament. Pretty bummed out about this, especially since I personally hate weddings. Hopefully the next game day for us SoCal players will be soon.
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
Anyhow yes I'm still in, got the day from work
Excellent!

Quote:
As far as maps go, I MAYBE able to bring one, but I prefer not to since it takes space in my car and I have to dig to get heroscape tiles from the garage. I may have plans after so I need the space in my car. So if I do bring a map, it has to be a REALLY easy map to build.
Well, perhaps @warriorneedsfoodbadly and I can each make 3 maps instead of 2. I'll take a look this weekend or early next week.

Quote:
Is it too late to suggest no VC units? Sorry I'm a purist at heart and don't really care for them since they aren't official.
They are as official as it gets these days, man. Hasbro is never going to make any more units for us. Wizards of the Coast is never going to make any more units for us. So we do it for ourselves. These units are built from the ground up, through a very rigorous process that almost always takes over a year from conception to finished artwork, they're playtested dozens of times against Classic, D&D, and each other, in all sorts of scenarios. They keep excitement and interest in the game. I can tell you they're keeping my excitement and interest.

So I say we stop fighting it and embrace it. You're playing a wargame here ... in what war do you always know everything about your enemy? Surprises are part of the game, as is luck. But strategy and superior skill will win in the long term. I don't think you (or @Detrimentalman , FTM) have anything to worry about when it comes to facing any VC units: just stay sharp and adapt. You know you're a better player than I am (or anyone I'll be bringing with me, FTM). VC isn't going to change that. I don't bring these new units to the table because I think they're going to be better at beating you: I know I'm not going to beat you, unless I get lucky. I bring them to the table because I get tired of playing the same old units over and over. There's new stuff out there now, and it's fun, and it's interesting, and it's very well balanced, and mainly it's just fun. That's why I come to these things every year, you know: to have fun. I know I'm not going to win ... never have. Likely I never will. But I win a few games, and I lose a few, and I learn from all of them, and I have fun. That's what it's all about for me.

But, as I promised, I've put together information on all the VC that will be showing up this year. If you want to get a jump on what's going to hit the table, feel free to study these as much as you like. View it as advance intel that your forward scouts have gathered before the war commences.

Quote:
Also is anyone bringing arena of the planeswalkers for after the tourney? If I don't have plans after I would be down for a couple of games! Love the game so far.
I don't actually own it yet. I keep saying I'm going to buy it, but I haven't gotten around to it ... maybe for my birthday, or Christmas. But if anyone brings a copy, I'll play, sure. MtG isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I've played a few times and know roughly how it works. And @Quillon and crew play quite often, so they'll likely pick it up even more quickly than I will.

Quote:
I am 95% sure that I am not going to be able to make it. ...
Awwwwwwwww. I was really hoping you'd be able to. Ah, well. Next year for sure.

Quote:
Hopefully the next game day for us SoCal players will be soon.
Indeed! We'll have to get something organized, get @hivelord out, etc. Maybe try out that zombie scenario you posted in the other thread. (I've really been trying to find time to give you a detailed response on that, but I haven't yet. Hopefully this weekend.)

Okay, here's the intel on VC units that will be arriving in my vehicle this year. Here's what I will tell you about these units:
  • I've put together a short, one-line precis of each unit.
  • Each unit's name is also a link to its "Book of" thread, where you can view the full card, lists of synergies, etc.
  • I'm not going to tell you which unit will be in which army. Gotta keep some of the mystery going, right?
  • Some of these will be in primary armies and some will be in backup armies.
  • I'm bringing 9 armies total (some stats on that below). Barring last minute changes, this is every single VC unit that is in any of those 9 armies. And AFAIK all the armies are finalized, so there shouldn't be any last minute changes.
  • I also put together a little guide to all the shortcut terms I use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC units coming this year
Guide to terms used:
Spoiler Alert!

• B-11 Resistance Corps -- ranged unique Mariedian squad that gets stronger as its members are killed
  • Jarek Guy -- Mariedian melee hero with a Hide-in-Darkness-like defense power and an at-will Grenade
  • Kantono Daishi -- moderately low-life controller for the ninjas, with Phantom Walk and Counterstrike
  • M-43 Resistance Fighters -- ranged common squad that can ignore adjacent squaddies when attacking and move other Mariedians if they attack
  • Manauvi -- melee Wolf hero with a charging power, a conditional Double Attack, and a Move-boosting spirit power
  • Mok -- high-cost double-spaced high-attack hero who can sacrifice up to 2 dwarven squaddies to power a like number of ranged SAs that can be used alongside his normal attack
  • Morgoloth -- Double-Attacking darklord who boosts Move for other demons and gives Disengage to small Valkrill figures in range
  • Omegacron -- high-cost Double-Attacking, double-spaced moderately low-life controller for the Omnicrons with high range and high defense
  • Rygarn -- slow-moving, moderately low-life ranged hero that allows OM shuffling and has a Vanish-like defense power
  • Siiv -- fast-moving, low-life Disengaging filler unit with a no-defense unranged SA
  • Skeletons of Annellintia -- slow-moving, swarming common squad with a 50% chance of being able to come back after death
  • Ulfrid -- dwarven melee hero who rolls double shields and has a kill-or-be-killed SA
  • Varkaanan Darkclaws -- unique Wolf squad with full move/partial attack bonding with other unique Wolves, conditional Double Attack, and additional bonuses from shadow spaces
  • Varkaanan Greyspears -- unique Wolf low-range squad with full move/partial attack bonding with other unique Wolves and bonus movement if they don't attack
  • Varkaanan Quickblades -- unique Wolf squad with full move/partial attack bonding with other unique Wolves, a charging power, and a defense-reducing SA
  • Varkaanan Swiftfangs -- unique Wolf squad with full move/partial attack bonding with other unique Wolves and bonus movement on OM1

Armies, and how many VC units they contain: (# VC units/total # units, multiple commons count as 1 unit)

Primary:
  • 0/5 (0%)
  • 1/4 (25%)
  • 1/3 (33%)
  • 2/6 (33%)
  • 5/5 (100%) -- Note: this army will be fielded by the newbie, so I don't think anyone should consider it a huge threat
Backup:
  • 0/4 (0%)
  • 1/4 (25%)
  • 2/4 (50%)
  • 4/5 (80%)

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; September 21st, 2016 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old October 10th, 2015, 12:15 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

I'm not worried about winning or losing; the concern isn't that VC is overpowered or that I don't know about them. I probably wouldn't want to do a tourney either way. It's too much like throwing rock-paper-scissor, you both reveal your armies and half the time the game is over before it began unless the dice really favor the doomed side or the person with the clear advantage doesn't understand how to capitalize on it.

You can put me as maybe, but I really doubt I will make it before the after games.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:57 PM

If you need me to make 3 maps you'll have to check that they don't use the same items (D&D, Swamp, etc.) I'll make whichever ones you want - I've no preference.

If it is impossible for Xotli and myself to make all of the maps due to resources, would Detrimentalman be able to drop off his gear for us?
Old October 11th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrimentalman View Post
I'm not worried about winning or losing; the concern isn't that VC is overpowered or that I don't know about them. I probably wouldn't want to do a tourney either way. It's too much like throwing rock-paper-scissor, you both reveal your armies and half the time the game is over before it began unless the dice really favor the doomed side or the person with the clear advantage doesn't understand how to capitalize on it.
Oh ... I guess I don't understand at all then. I know you've played in tournaments before, and won at least once that I recall. If it's not VC, what's different for you this year, if you don't mind me asking?

Of course, we'll be thrilled to see you either way. I was just curious.

Quote:
If you need me to make 3 maps you'll have to check that they don't use the same items (D&D, Swamp, etc.) I'll make whichever ones you want - I've no preference.
Well, of course I don't know exactly what you have. My recollection is you have a few RotVs and a maybe 2-ish SotMs ... at least one TJ, 1 or 2 RttFFs, I think a BftU ... do you have a TT and/or a VW? I can try to go through the maps and see what should work for you if you can help me remember which sets you have.

Quote:
If it is impossible for Xotli and myself to make all of the maps due to resources, would Detrimentalman be able to drop off his gear for us?
I have a buttload of terrain, so theoretically I could make 4 maps. It's just a PITA to load up the terrain and bring it ... I usually prebuild the maps to make sure I really have everything and look for places where I can make it more stable, that sort of thing. Plus I have to make sure I have room for everything in the truck. 3 is already a lot ... 4 might be pushing it. But if it comes to it, I will try.

(Oh, and also: you should use the "@" to activate our handy-dandy new "mention" feature. If you put @Detrimentalman , like that, it automatically emails him. In case he's not checking the forum regularly. )

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day