Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old December 29th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
I do like Splendor, and my wife enjoys it as well, so it's a winner.

Over the holiday week-end, I played a few games.

On Christmas Day, my family and I went to a gathering at the neighbor's house. They are big fans of card games, so we played spades, blitz, etc. W also got in several games of Pit, which they had just picked up. I'd never played it, but it was a very fun, easy-to-learn, chaotic party game. I'd recommend it for any big group.

My family and I later played Dixit, which was a hit. I also played Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with my wife, and she claims to have enjoyed it.

Lastly, I got in several solo games of Imperial Settlers while watching a movie after the kids fell asleep. I do like this game a lot.

I received several games for Christmas, but I haven't had the chance to play Fortune and Glory, Imperial Assault, or Sheriff of Nottingham.
I've played Dixit a few times and liked it. Never have tried Agricola yet.

Played Imperial Settlers once and liked it. I didn't do so good as the Romans though. Interesting how each faction works differently.

I really like Sheriff of Nottingham, have played that a few times so far. Haven't tried Fortune and Glory yet or Imperial Assault, but one of my buddies is getting Imperial Assault, so I look forward to trying his game sometime.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Lastly, I got in several solo games of Imperial Settlers while watching a movie
One or the other, never both.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Played the following games quite a few times over Christmas weekend:

- The Great Dalmuti (6 players)
- King of Tokyo (did not use the Power Up Expansion yet)
- Say Anything (8 players)

Also played a few games delivered by Santa one time each:

- Marvel Legendary
- Smiley Face

Still have not had a chance to try some other Santa gifts:

- Marvel Dice Masters Uncanny X-men
- Diamonds

I'm hoping that the family doesn't get burned out from all of this game playing. Even hoping to try out the KoT Power Up tonight... fingers are crossed.

I have a question for anyone who has purchased King of New York. Is the promotional card, "Monster Idol" included inside the box as one of the 66 cards? Or is it truly an exclusive card that was given out at Gen Con and on some pre-orders?

I'm getting mixed signals from the limited info on the net. Some seem to suggest that it was given out as a preview card that is included inside while others label it as an exclusive promo card. I'm looking to eventually purchase King of New York and some folks on ebay are selling it with the Monster Idol card. I'm trying to determine if this is a scam and the card is sealed up in the box.

Thanks for any help with this.

Edit: Oh yeah, the boys and I have been loving us some Stiga Stanley Cup Tabletop Hockey. I know it is not really a board game but it is tons of fun especially when we have it set up for Islanders vs. Rangers.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
I have a question for anyone who has purchased King of New York. Is the promotional card, "Monster Idol" included inside the box as one of the 66 cards? Or is it truly an exclusive card that was given out at Gen Con and on some pre-orders?

I'm getting mixed signals from the limited info on the net. Some seem to suggest that it was given out as a preview card that is included inside while others label it as an exclusive promo card. I'm looking to eventually purchase King of New York and some folks on ebay are selling it with the Monster Idol card. I'm trying to determine if this is a scam and the card is sealed up in the box.

Thanks for any help with this.
I just looked through my recently-acquired box to verify; there is no Monster Idol card in the box as it comes.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

We played a bunch of games with the family while we were visiting in New York, but they were all of the party variety: The Resistance, Straw, Say Anything, Pairs, and () Sequence, which was tolerable - not as painful as I'd expected - but was unfortunately the strong preference of our hostess.

SisterScaper repeatedly encouraged people to play games with her, and was the champion of Straw and Pairs. This was (for those familiar with the game) the "Pirates" deck for Pairs, and by now we've named all the characters featured on the cards.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:37 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I heard good things about 7 Wonders and yesterday I found a copy in excellent condition at a Thrift Store for $2.97, so I HAD TO buy it. Now maybe I'll finally get a chance to play it.
I have to start going to thrift stores
~~lol~~

I don't know how "THRIFTY" this whole process is after you add up all of the gasoline and time expended. I've found over 20 thrift stores near me that I hit on a regular basis (some weekly, others monthly) and I only get lucky like this about twice a year, so that could average one out of a hundred visits. But it sure is fun, since you never know what your going to find. A couple of months ago, I scored an almost complete HS RotV Master Set for $5.00.

I'm usually looking for random junk (i.e. used toys and play sets) that I can re-work into HS custom terrain pieces. Finding a whole game that's not Trivia Pursuit or Ameri-Trash is a very rare delightful experience. It has become such a popular past time that Board game Geek has an entire Forum devoted to it with weekly threads for us Bargain Hunters to post our great finds. I often see @kldonnelly there extolling her treasures. It's fun to chat and compare notes with other like minded gamers.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; December 29th, 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
We played a bunch of games with the family while we were visiting in New York, but they were all of the party variety: The Resistance, Straw, Say Anything, Pairs, and () Sequence, which was tolerable - not as painful as I'd expected - but was unfortunately the strong preference of our hostess.

SisterScaper repeatedly encouraged people to play games with her, and was the champion of Straw and Pairs. This was (for those familiar with the game) the "Pirates" deck for Pairs, and by now we've named all the characters featured on the cards.
I just got Pairs, the Professor Elemental deck and gave that a quick basic game try tonight at game night. 6 players (gamer gamers), not sure how impressed they were. Seems like it was me and one other guy that were folding to take low cards and all the others just took hits without doubling up. Then I got a 7 and paired it up with a hit and lost. Lots of discarding/dealing, but that's just the base game and perhaps the variants will be cool. I think when people realize that it's just a light push your luck filler in its base game form, then it will be fine for a quick 10 minutes. I'll also have to try it with my daughters, as I'm sure they'll dig it for a light easy game.

Also played Istanbul, Crokinole and Lords of Waterdeep (with Scoundrels of Skullport) tonight.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I heard good things about 7 Wonders and yesterday I found a copy in excellent condition at a Thrift Store for $2.97, so I HAD TO buy it. Now maybe I'll finally get a chance to play it.
I have to start going to thrift stores
~~lol~~

I don't know how "THRIFTY" this whole process is after you add up all of the gasoline and time expended. I've found over 20 thrift stores near me that I hit on a regular basis (some weekly, others monthly) and I only get lucky like this about twice a year, so that could average one out of a hundred visits. But it sure is fun, since you never know what your going to find. A couple of months ago, I scored an almost complete HS RotV Master Set for $5.00.

I'm usually looking for random junk (i.e. used toys and play sets) that I can re-work into HS custom terrain pieces. Finding a whole game that's not Trivia Pursuit or Ameri-Trash is a very rare delightful experience. It has become such a popular past time that Board game Geek has an entire Forum devoted to it with weekly threads for us Bargain Hunters to post our great finds. I often see @kldonnelly there extolling her treasures. It's fun to chat and compare notes with other like minded gamers.
Hmmm...seems like a lot of legwork. Reminds me of the days of hunting all the big box stores for Scape stuff back in the day.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 30th, 2014, 12:33 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
I do like Splendor, and my wife enjoys it as well, so it's a winner.

Over the holiday week-end, I played a few games.

On Christmas Day, my family and I went to a gathering at the neighbor's house. They are big fans of card games, so we played spades, blitz, etc. W also got in several games of Pit, which they had just picked up. I'd never played it, but it was a very fun, easy-to-learn, chaotic party game. I'd recommend it for any big group.
We've played PIT a bunch of times and enjoy it a lot. In fact I usually have one in my travel case (along with a Fluxx, a Carcassonne, a Miscellaneous, etc.) just in case there's an opportunity to game at a family gathering. @akden, you've nailed it in your drescription: "chaotic." But we've found it to be a great Ice-Breaker for a new group or a quick time filler for an old one. Sometimes you can even drag non-gamers into the commotion when they hear everyone else LOL'ing.
Quote:
My family and I later played Dixit, which was a hit. I also played Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with my wife, and she claims to have enjoyed it.
I played Agricola one time in Savage after one of D_S's HS tournaments and liked it so much that I bought it, but after trying it again with my family (wife, step-son, and daughter-in-law), they said it was too confusing and don't want to play any more of the "NEW" games that I keep suggesting. Arrrgh! That's why I join gaming clubs.
Quote:
Lastly, I got in several solo games of Imperial Settlers while watching a movie after the kids fell asleep. I do like this game a lot.

I received several games for Christmas, but I haven't had the chance to play Fortune and Glory, Imperial Assault, or Sheriff of Nottingham.
Officially, I only got "Black Fleet" from Santa, but in the past two weeks, I also acquired Pirate King, Space Pirates, Love Letter, and 7 Wonders because of great prices. I've played F&G:TCHG four times and really like it a lot, but a Star Wars X-Wing group that I'm in is all excited about SW:IA and wants to run epic campaigns. So I was really torn as to which one to order myself (because my birthday is next week) and ultimately chose the later because there's a better chance that it will get played instead of just collecting dust.

Quote:
Hmmm...seems like a lot of legwork. Reminds me of the days of hunting all the big box stores for Scape stuff back in the day.
Aaaahhh yes, the "good old days" I remember some of them sometimes ~lol~ , but the legwork of hunting for 'Scape stuff . . . yeah, been there - done that. Thanks for the memories.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; December 30th, 2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added additional comment rather than double post.
Old December 30th, 2014, 02:31 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Got a bunch of games for Christmas. So far I've played Historia a couple times, Twilight Struggle once as a learning game, and the first six turns of Bitter Woods solo to learn the rules. The Germans have already got some armor units acrossed the Meuse River! Good thing I wasn't in charge of the allied defense during the Bulge. But I learned several lessons and there are several mistakes I will not make again.
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

ROUNDUP: SEEING THE OLD YEAR OUT

Just played a great four player (six hour) game of Firefly The Game yesterday. George (GWEK on bgg) came over from NJ for the first time. He's about the most active poster on bgg about this game, and has presented many fan variants, one of which, Local Color, I've printed out but not used yet. He'll be adding 12 new cards to it soon. And his pal Dan came in from Manhattan, so I met two new gaming friends!

Sherman Davies and I hosted here. We used all of the expansions through Blue Sun. It was fun to play the old King of All Londinium scenario from the base game for the first time. Although George won handily, it was a great game, and we got to try out lots of stuff we hand't really looked at before from Crew to Gear to playing strategies. George got all three goals to end the game, when the rest of us had none, and he won just before I would have badly disabled his play for a bit with a second Showdown using 'Sash's Cannon!' George dismissed his wanted crew member, but I picked up the same Niska Piracy Job I'd discarded on the first turn of the game (since we were in the neighborhood), and so would have had an excuse to attack him once more.

Dan hadn't played before, but had looked at the rules and learned fast; I'd say he was in second place behind George, with SD right behind, and me beat down to just harassing George at the end. A 'Gentleman's Game' throughout with player manners and advice for the newbie all around; quite a contrast to the grittiness of Josh Whedon's 'Verse! We did some Bounty Hunting and Bounty Jumping, but no Piracy, and never entered Rim Space, although lots of Reavers came out of it! At one point after the Alliance Cruiser moved, a new Most Wanted Cortex Update put three of us at risk carrying wanted crew at once, which triggered off some direct player interaction, mostly against George, by now the clear front runner.

Then we and our guests had a companionable late dinner at the local diner. They left, while Sherm and I went on to play out my first game of Ars Victor with a live opponent. He had beaten Taeblewalker once, and now got me. It was our first time with both factions on the board at the same time: The Empire of Man and the Ancient Hedgemony. I played the latter and SD our first 'mixed' army. Just as I was about to go for it from behind at the end, my cards totally betrayed me, and I couldn't activate the two units I needed. Curses, foiled again.

Taeblewalker is coming back from Florida today, and Kolakoski is planning to host our monthy Scape game in January when he returns to his Secret Island Base soon, so the NYG4 will be back in action in the New Year. If you're going to be in NYC in January, give us a shout out and come join us.

Thanks to Sherm for helping me order the new Conan coins online as an add-on to my first Kickstarter project: Age of Conan: Adventures In Hyperboria.

New Games/Expansions from Sept.-Dec. 2015 as the year goes out:

Star Trek Fleet Captains: Dominion
Quartermaster General
Firefly: Blue Sun
Cyclades: Titans
Commands & Colors Napoleonics: The Prussian Army
Twilight Struggle (yet unplayed)

Ars Victor

New Games Coming up in 2015:

Age Of Conan: Adventures In Hyperboria
Kemet: Ta Seti
Mare Nostrum (2.0)
Quartermaster General: Expansion
Firefly the Game: Expansion(s)?
C&C Napolenics: Expansion(s)?

Other New Game Dates Coming Up In January

Memoir 44: D-Day Landings--The British Beaches (6 Player)

Happy Gaming New Year to all!

Last edited by chas; January 1st, 2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:37 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post

Edit: Oh yeah, the boys and I have been loving us some Stiga Stanley Cup Tabletop Hockey. I know it is not really a board game but it is tons of fun especially when we have it set up for Islanders vs. Rangers.
Love it! I was the Men's Glee Club Table Hockey Champion in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
We played a bunch of games with the family while we were visiting in New York, . . .
Next time, look us up (if we're not in Jamaica)!
Old December 30th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yeah, believe me, I thought of the Gang of 4. I wish the schedule had flexibility in it. Maybe next year, if we do it again.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games