Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Acquire

Has any one else played Acquire? This game, along with Settlers of Catan, got me into gaming. I've had an itching to play this game lately, but it's so flipping expensive from online merchants. Perhaps with the game going in the hundreds for the 1999 version, Hasbro/Avalon Hill will publish this game again?
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I have the 63 (68??) 3M Bookcase edition. Found it several years ago at a flea market for $5. Complete. Did the 99 edition change anything besides the look of the components?

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM

vernz has disabled reputation
i have this game i bought it a while ago at the mall of america i havent seen it in stores for a long time though good luck finding it though its a great game

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
I have the 63 (68??) 3M Bookcase edition. Found it several years ago at a flea market for $5. Complete. Did the 99 edition change anything besides the look of the components?
Yep I have the same edition. I was lucky enough to get that , Ploy, Executive decision, Twist, facts in five, and a few more all for 25 cents each! With all the pieces! They look great on the bookshelf, we pretty much only play ploy and twist however.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Yep I have the same edition. I was lucky enough to get that , Ploy, Executive decision, Twist, facts in five, and a few more all for 25 cents each! With all the pieces! They look great on the bookshelf, we pretty much only play ploy and twist however.
Quinto and the President one also adorn my shelf. Both never played, but appear complete. I love the looks of those bookshelf games.

I've decided that Last Night on Earth must always lay flat.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
[quote="ej"][quote="bad_calvin"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej

I've decided that Last Night on Earth must always lay flat.
Heh.. lol Yeah that is one that should not be stood up.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did the 99 edition change anything besides the look of the components?
The '95 version was the exact same except the board was prettier (that's the one I always played). I read that '99 version is the same game but instead of hotels you start generic corporations. I think I would prefer the '95 version, but probably just because I'm used to it. You can get the 60's version for fairly cheap online, but it just doesn't look as pretty as the '95 version.
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have the 3M bookshelf version, but alas it is unplayed like so many others. I did cross another off the list tonight though. Bosworth!
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Troy Spiral has disabled reputation
I have yet to play it but www.boardgamegeek.com (pretty much THE "board game" website) consistantly lists good review after good review for it.

Old October 24th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker
Oh yes! Acquire is fun! Our youth group plays it a lot...

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:33 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I love Acquire. I too have an old 3M version that I bought at a flea market in the mid 70's for $0.75. Excellent condition even now, though the box is getting a bit worn and the cards have yellowed a bit with age.

If anyone is looking to buy the game, I suggest you stay away from the 1995 edition. A friend of mine bought this version after playing with my wife and me. He told me that although they created a very pretty game board, the tiles in this version simply sit on the board and are easily bumped out of place. All other versions use a recessed grid board such that the tiles fit snugly in place.

I would love to get a copy of the 1999 Hasbro version but I can't justify the cost. Maybe one day it will be back in print. In the mean time, just pick up a decent copy from the 70's.

The thing I like about this game is that I still haven't figured out the best way to approach the game. Although I tend to do well when playing, I can't say that I have a set strategy. I tend to play differently each time. And the random nature of the game keeps it pretty fresh, too.

Just about everyone who has played this game has enjoyed it and wanted to play again. And that includes a lot of people who see it and ask, "Is this like Monopoly?" To which I usually reply, "Exactly, except this game is actually fun."
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernz
i have this game i bought it a while ago at the mall of america i havent seen it in stores for a long time though good luck finding it though its a great game
Are you over the age of eight? Because if you are, do you think you could try a little harder to make sense? You know, capitalizing letters, punctuation, that kind of thing?

If you're only seven, I can see writing like this. Or if you're new to the English language.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games