Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old November 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!
WizKids (Heroclix) Bites the Dust - Impact on Heroscape

Original Post in "Other Games" http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=22118

Original story: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13701.html

Like many others here, I am a heroclix refugee. I used to judge and sell the line (As with other Wizkids products) as a FLGS manager.

Heroclix used to be 70% of our income (until the owner banned kids in the game store... long story of stupidity) However, I know many FLGS' that pay their rent with Heroclix... and besides the flood of cheap minis that may come, I see tremendous opportunity for Heroscape.

As I posted in the other thread:

Why did a company with a successful line like Heroclix get canned? Consider this history for Wizkids, all within the last 8 years:

HeroClix - Huge Success
MageKnight - "Surprise" revamp with 2.0 that irks players, then failure of a flagship line. Epic Fail.
Rocketman CSG - Fail
Pirates - Success
Shadowun Duels Action Figure Game - Epic Fail, only 6 figures ever released. (Series two was done for toyfair 2002 or 2003, but never made it out)
Crimson Skies Miniatures - Fail
Sport Clix - Fail
Star Wars CMG - Success, but new
Creepy Freaks - Epic Fail (They were putting together a tv show that never aired, major marketing push was ineffective)
MechWarrior Clix - Fail
Halo Clix - Meh. Still current, but clearanced from Target. Not sure there was much future life for it anyway
Horror Clix - Still going. Moderate success?
Nascar CMG - Fail
Battlestar Galactica - Fail?

That's almost 2 new collectible games every year!

ASSIGNMENT: Offer to Demo Heroscape at a FLGS that sells Heroclix a lot. Have customs made from Heroclix available to highlight the "compatibility". Many of these stores are going to see 70-80% of their revenue go away, and may be interested in a new product for their Clix players. Carpe Diem!

Any other thoughts/observations?

Last edited by RageAngel; November 11th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!
Re: WizKids (Heroclix) Bites the Dust - Impact on Heroscape

Turns out there are now 3 threads on this topic.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=22125

Mods may want to combine/move/lock the multiplicity, but please keep in mind that news of Skirmish's demise was put in Heroscape News, whereas Heroclix's demise went in "Other Games." I would think the loss of Heroclix will have more impact on Heroscape than the loss of Skirmish. I'm not saying to keep my thread, but maybe move Aldin's here...

I only saw Aldin's post as I was checking out the used game trading list and otherwise would have missed this important news item.

Last edited by RageAngel; November 13th, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker

I like this thread better; its fresh and shiny!

This is definitely the time for WotC to pursue the expansion of Marvelscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageAngel View Post
Nascar CMG - Fail
What was prize support? Pabst Blue Ribbon cases?

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old November 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Part of the "news release" in the link in the OP.

Quote:
In its statement announcing the closing of WizKids, Topps also indicated that it was pursuing “strategic alternatives so that viable brands and properties, including HeroClix, can continue without any noticeable disruption.”
I don't read this as "the end" of Heroclix just yet.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Quote:
In its statement announcing the closing of WizKids, Topps also indicated that it was pursuing “strategic alternatives so that viable brands and properties, including HeroClix, can continue without any noticeable disruption.”
So sad, this sounded great up until this. However, I still think there might be an opening here. Those FLGS stores are going to probably suffer supply knocks during the hand over, and it may take a while in this climate.

Go be Heroscape Missionaries! Convert your local FLGS to this exciting alternative for their Heroclix fans!

You don't have to point out its better, they'll figure that out for themselves.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM

HS Beast has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post

Bingo!

Come on Hasbro/WotC. Time to get Marvelscape up and running.

How Beast won the right to be the first X-Man in Marvel Heroscape.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Lank281 knows what's in an order marker Lank281 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS Beast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post

Bingo!

Come on Hasbro/WotC. Time to get Marvelscape up and running.
No doubt. I'm still Punisherless!
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Quote:
It likely means they are looking to sell the properties to other companies, whether that will happen and if so when it will happen is impossible to say but Heroclix and Pirates have a good chance of someone picking up the brand because they were successful, pretty much everything else will probably go the way of the dodo.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

I am working on converting my local game store... Blue Dragon. There was only like 6 heroclix players in there last night when I hung my heroscape flyer.

I will just have to bring in scape and demo the game durring their tuesday clix games I guess...
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker

So, this is VERY sad news for me, but also not surprising. I was a Mage Knight player from the beginning. It was the FIRST in prepainted minis. I was an avid player and even went to work for Inquest magazine writing articles on the game. I also truly enjoyed 2.0. It was VERY disappointing for me when they closed the game and I SWORE that I would never play another Wizkids game again. Mainly because they had HUGE problems with power-creep and their customer support was horrid.

However, I did continue to dabble in Pirates (my nephew plays) and I became ADDICTED to the SWCCG!!! It was simply amazing.

The best things to come out of this is if WOTC takes over the CCG and if MARVEL HEROSCAPE takes over where Heroclix left off. I cannot imagine that someone would not want to BUY Wizkids though...but they are such a horrid business that comes up with great games and then kills them. I think it's just cursed.

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel View Post
I cannot imagine that someone would not want to BUY Wizkids though...but they are such a horrid business that comes up with great games and then kills them. I think it's just cursed.
I don't see WizKids being saved at all, just the products that they have and only those that made a good profit. The real question is whether or not any company that might purchase said products exists at this time?

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News