Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Mentant Woo who?
Custom Q9 counter: Fuma Kotaro

I've been thinking about Q9 the past few days, trying to contemplate a counter unit.

My unit is a different take on a ninja assassin, essentially an assassin leader that compliments the Ninjas of the Northern Winds:

Unit: Fuma Kotaro
Unique Hero
General: Einar
Type: Ninja
Personality: Tricky

Life: 4

Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 6
Defense: 3

Ninja Command: Instead of taking a turn with Fuma Kotaro, you may instead take a turn with any ninja that follows Einar.

Shadow Defense: If Fuma Kotaro is the target of any special attack, roll the 20 sided die. If Fuma rolls a 6 or higher, Fuma is not a valid target of any special attack for this round.

Shadow Step: Fuma does not become engaged by moving adjacent to enemy figures and may continue movement through enemy figures as if they were friendly.

Any thoughts?
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart
Re: Custom Q9 counter: Fuma Kotaro

I think it's great. It might be the first Einar ninja hero anybody would want to play. It also looks Shadow Step is just a renamed version of Phantom Walk. Interesting that he can only vanish whenever being attacked by a special attack.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Mentant Woo who?

Yes, its essentially just a renamed version. I figured that it would just give him more flavor (using "shadow" based defenses), but I was going for the exact same effect as Phantom Walk.

Still trying to think of a good point cost though. IMO, to be a successful counter, he would have to cost less than Q9, and hopefully have a cost that works well with the NotNW, or Shiori. Perhaps ~110 points. (Making him cost 170 with Shiori or 220 with NotNW)
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM

The fourth Tagawa Woo who?

I think its really, really cool. It could also work well against Major Q10 (Man, you seem to have it in for the major's) Oh, and with Ninja Command, would you move 1 notnw or the whole squad? Man, I can't believe I didn't think of this first. Do you think your going to make a fig for your custom?

Think you got what it takes to create a custom for the new army in Valhalla? PM me your idea and it could be put in my fanfic. Here's a link. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=21965
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Mentant Woo who?

I dunno, I was just lurking and reading the Q9 thread. I started buying heroscape for my kid brother years ago, and got hooked on it myself. I've never played any other miniature games (Wargame counters don't count!), much less made a custom figure.

Quote:
(Man, you seem to have it in for the major's)
My brother drafts them almost every game now, so I'm used to killing them. Nevertheless, it bothers me somewhat that there isn't a direct counter; if I had one I could at least encourage him not to draft them EVERY GAME. Still, its important to me that my proposed counter figure is balanced. I don't want to send Q9 or 10 to the shelf or dustbin. I don't want to hurt DW9k either for example, but I feel that DW9k is more easily screened than Q9; DW9k could have adjacent Zettians (with a nice normal attack that would work great against Fuso) and is a single-based figure, thus more easy to surround with screens against adjacent attackers.

Quote:
Oh, and with Ninja Command, would you move 1 notnw or the whole squad?
My intent was for you to be able to move the whole squad, or a single hero like Shiori. Not quite bonding, but more flexibility with order markers. I should change the language to make that more clear. I see Fuso working closely with the Ninjas of the Northern Wind, them assaulting/assassinating figures that have high normal attacks, while Fuso deals with figures that dominate with special attacks.

Quote:
Do you think your going to make a fig for your custom?
You know, I'd give it a shot, if I thought that the end result would be a balanced addition to the entire game. What do you experienced customizers do? Purchase warhammer type figurines and paint them? Thanks for the feedback BTW!!

Last edited by Mentant; August 16th, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

I like him very much. A nice addition to both the Ninjas and the Tricky army.

Out of curiosity, you didn't by any chance derive his name from Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori, did you?
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Mentant Woo who?

I did a quick google search for famous historical ninjas, and chose Fuma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C5%ABma_Kotar%C5%8D

According to wikipedia, successive leaders of the Fuma ninja clan each adopted the name of Fuma Kotaro. It seemed in keeping with the spirit of the game to choose some kind of historic figure for the role.

As for your book reference, I've not read it. Is it good?
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation

Fuma would certainly have a serviceable niche in the game without being too powerful outside of the niche. Anything that decreases cookie cutters is a good thing. One thing I would tweak is the wording on Shadow Defense, just for added clarity:

"If Fuma Kotaro is the target of any special attack, roll the 20-sided die. If Fuma rolls a 6 or higher, the attack is cancelled and Fuma is not a valid target for any more special attacks this round."

Just to make it clear to everyone that the first attack does not, in fact, go through just because it targeted Fuma before he became an invalid target.

Find a figure for him and smack him on a card, and I'd play him any time. This is the sort of thing the customs community always needs more of, units that fill a specific role in the environment.

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentant View Post
I did a quick google search for famous historical ninjas, and chose Fuma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C5%ABma_Kotar%C5%8D

According to wikipedia, successive leaders of the Fuma ninja clan each adopted the name of Fuma Kotaro. It seemed in keeping with the spirit of the game to choose some kind of historic figure for the role.

As for your book reference, I've not read it. Is it good?
The name to which I was referring was the second part, 'Kotaro,' but obviously, since you haven't read the book, the answer to my question is still 'no.'

Hearn's Tales of the Otori are some of my favorite books. They are beautifully written and very exciting. They take place in a fictional medieval Japan (It's never called "Japan," but the cultural parallels are apparent). The main character is an orphan who is adopted into nobility, becomes a ninja, raises an army, and becomes a warlord (I'm really not giving very much away- the backs of the books tell you as much). I'm reading the fourth one now and the last one has yet to be released.

Sorry to go on, but if you're interested, definitely give the first one a try and let me know what you think of it. It's called Across the Nightingale Floor.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

He sounds awesome! However, the fact that he can only do shadow defence against a normal attack, doesn't make it seem like he would be a good Q9 counter because Q9 would just Queglix him to mush. I would suggest trying a vanish ability somewhat like Isamu's only maybe harder to roll (Isamu's vanish works against all attacks). Aside from that, he sounds just so sweet! You really should go into making customs!

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM

Mentant Woo who?

Jandarforever:

Shadow Defense only works against Special Attacks, so the Queglix gun won't work much of the time (a roll of 6 or higher on a d20).

But to make up for it, he only has 4 life and 3 defense, so he could get into sticky situations. And Q9 would also have his normal attack of 4.

Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps I'll think about other custom units also.
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentant View Post
Jandarforever:

Shadow Defense only works against Special Attacks, so the Queglix gun won't work much of the time (a roll of 6 or higher on a d20).

But to make up for it, he only has 4 life and 3 defense, so he could get into sticky situations. And Q9 would also have his normal attack of 4.

Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps I'll think about other custom units also.
Oh gosh! Sorry, I misread it.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards