Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Trial of Gourd Mantis by Lotus: Closed

Lets see if we can't get more units tested this way:

Each Trial will last ONE WEEK. This one will end Monday 08/04/08.

ANYONE can comment, critique, test, or approve. But it must all be constructive, you can't just come in with an "I approve" and disappear.

Once the custom has been significantly tested and has gotten THREE approvals, the thread will be converted to a BOOK.

A new Trial for a new custom will be started every 3 days.

Here is the previous Gourd Mantis thread for reference to work done thus far: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=14314

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; August 5th, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM

cycoduck is surprisingly tart
Re: NEW Trial of Gourd Mantis by Lotus

I like it.
Couple of minor grammatical things.

Camouflage (not Camoflauge)
You repeated 'on'.
I like the ability, works for the concept.

Jungle Deployment (not Deplyoment)
'If so, then, at the start of each round, before you place Order Markers, roll the 20-sided die.'
Again, sounds good in concept. Have you play tested this to see if it's workable? I'm wondering if the 50% deployment here is too high, considering the points. Just a thought.

Crush Special Attack
Again, like the concept, but, I wonder if the 50% success is clunky. Could work, not sure.

Overall, I like this custom. I vote approved.

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

If you have questions about whether or not things have been properly playtested

1) Please check the link to the old thread, as some playtesting has already been done.
2) Don't be in such a hurry to approve. Remember, you have a whole week to see if the changes are agreed upon and/or made.

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM

cycoduck is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
If you have questions about whether or not things have been properly playtested

1) Please check the link to the old thread, as some playtesting has already been done.
2) Don't be in such a hurry to approve. Remember, you have a whole week to see if the changes are agreed upon and/or made.
Okay, I stand corrected. I read the old thread, saw that it hasn't gotten to really flex it's potential. I'll hold off on approval until later, see if the changes are made.

Old July 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation

My only real quibble with the card is his special attack. Using attack dice for anything other than... well, attack, just feels wrong to me. This special attack seems to just use them as a variant on the d20... and then has another d20 roll after it. Couldn't it be greatly simplified by just making it a 1 die attack that ignores a certain amount of shields, and allows you to roll again if you get a skull?

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart

I like it!

yet a few things,

on the crush special attack you said that if you roll a 1-10 the attack ends......Did you want it to mean that the skull doesn't matter because its ends, or did you mean that nothing special happens?

I like the camo idea, pretty good....
when i was first reading it i expected something like the Dzu-Teh, but good idea on the extra defense,
yet this is for all attacks; normal, special, range and melee right?

and another kind of deployment is really cool!

in all it is pretty cool,
I would just have to say there could be a few wording upgrades (so to speak)

and this isn't an approval yet

DeadEye
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

I kind of get the feeling that Jungle Deployment's 50% chance should be changed to make it harder. Otherwise it has too much versatility and could make an easy drop in place to kill something similar to the AE. Granted it only has limited use on certain maps so it may not be an issue. I also wonder about it's huge normal attack dice. 5 dice is a lot although that may be balanced by the life. Just a couple things to think about during testing. I guess I'd first test if it seems too strong on jungle/swamp maps.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker

My issues are mainly with the wording.

Crush Special Attack - Official cards always mention the full name of the attack. So, instead of saying "If you roll at least one skull with this attack..." it should say "If you roll at least one skull with Crush Special Attack...".

Camouflage (spelling mistake already pointed out) - There is no "Jungle terrain" tile that a figure could be on, so you should probably either leave it at just Swamp terrain or say "swamp terrain or adjacent to Jungle Pieces" (which is how they are described in the Ticalla Jungle rulebook).

Jungle Deployment - You have an incomplete sentence: "If so then at the start of each round. Before you place Order Markers, roll the 20-sided die." Those should be combined into one sentence as so: "If Gourd Mantis does not begin the game on the battlefield, at the start of each round, before you place Order Markers, roll the 20-sided die."

Here is how I would re-write each power.

I'm assuming the Crush Special Attack is supposed to be almost exactly like Sujoah's Poison Sting attack, with the only difference being that the initial attack does not need to inflict wounds to allow the 20-sided roll.

Crush Special Attack

Range 1, Attack 2.
If you roll at least one skull with Crush Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die for Crush Damage. If you roll 1-10, the attack ends. If you roll 10-19, add 1 additional wound marker to the defending figure's Army Card, and roll again for Crush Damage.

Camouflage
Add 2 to Gourd Mantis' Defense while on a Swamp space or adjacent to Jungle Pieces.

Jungle Deployment
Gourd Mantis may choose to not begin the game on the battlefield. If Gourd Mantis does not begin the game on the battlefield, at the start of each round, before you place Order Markers, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, place Gourd Mantis on any empty space adjacent to a Jungle Piece. You cannot place Gourd Mantis adjacent to any figures or on glyphs.

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM

What about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadeV View Post
Crush Special Attack
Range 1, Attack 2.
If you roll at least one skull with Crush Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die for Crush Damage. If you roll 1-10, add no additional wounds to the defending figure's army card. If you roll 10-19, add 1 additional wound marker to the defending figure's Army Card, and roll again for Crush Damage.
? Is that any better?

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:39 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker

Yes, I believe it is.

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Right..No Left!.. No I mean Right!

Lotus is surprisingly tart

Alright, let's see if I can answer some of the concerns here.

The reason it is so easy to succeed at the Jungle Deployment is that this unit is meant to be a sniper. Jump in, score a kill or so, then he'll be dead.
I think I may need to increase the power of the Crush Attack though as it is not very potent right now.

Also, I think that Necroblades and MegaDev's rewording are perfect. note when I first designed this unit, there was no Sujoha and Jungle Terrain so I winged the wording.

Previous playtesting showed this unit to be underpowered, if anyone else could cram in a few games, I'd appreciate it.
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:21 PM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation

Pretty much all terrain-specific units seem underpowered to some extent or other when used on maps that don't contain their terrain. If the previous playtests were on non-jungle maps, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it makes it feel more official... remember those Obsidian Guards! But if they were on jungle maps, then a draft cost reduction or a stat boost might be in order.

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards